What to replace cow's milk with for saturated fat and growing brain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By sillysapling
  • 1 Post By apeydef
  • 1 Post By crazyms
  • 1 Post By sillysapling
  • 2 Post By apeydef

#1 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I may not be able to nurse my son beyond 12 months, though I will try. He is 11.5 months old, and we found out today that he has a cow's milk allergy (he got hives!!!) I don't even think I will be able to give him cheese or yogurt. He also had projectile vomiting with eggs, after two hours, both times, so it's not a true allergic reaction, but he can't consume egg either. Unfortunately, he seems to take after me and other in my family, and have some genuine issues with some foods. :(

I know how important saturated fats are for the developing brain. I tried fish oil once, and his poop got really weird. I think his body was not processing it. He gets avocado, but that's monounsaturated fat. I am trying to get the benefits of whole cow's milk or breastfeeding. I would like him to get some good liquid nutrition from months 12-24. Advice?

#2 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Has he ever had cheese/yogurt or just milk?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We use home-rendered lard from local pigs, coconut oil and palm oil. I know others also use beef tallow and chicken fat.
#4 of 15 Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We tried full fat cottage cheese and he kept spitting it out. But he didn't get hives, which is why I was so shocked about this with the little bit of milk. He did that with egg too, before he vomited, so either he knew it didn't agree with him, or he just didn't like the flavor/texture.

Haven't tried other cheeses or yogurt. At one point I gave him some tastes of my gluten free Mac n cheese too, and he seemed okay.

I wonder if goats milk would be okay? I remember knowing a mom who used to drive to a farm because goat milk was all her baby could have for milk, and she was having issues making milk....but that was when I used to live in the Midwest.

I will think about the lard: etc. I try to give him meats rhat have the fat in there. I do feel strange having a little 12 month old that can't have so many things to make his diet complete....it makes me feel like I will have to breastfeed him forever. I might be able to do it, but I was hoping to ease up on it....it has been wearing on me physicslly
#5 of 15 Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Goat's milk may help. Not all kids can handle it, but some who can't handle cow's milk do well on goat's milk. Worth a try at least. You should be able to find pasteurized goat's milk at a store near you. Unless you're really lucky, raw goat's milk tends to be REALLY expensive.

Have you considered raw milk? Make sure that you get it from a source you trust, but some people who can't tolerate pasteurized/homogenized milk do well on raw milk. It has enzymes and good bacteria that make it easier to digest, like breast milk does. But there can also be bad bacteria and things in it- so especially with such a young child you have to make sure you get it somewhere safe.

If the problem is the protein in cow's milk, then anything from cow's milk will be a problem, if the problem is lactose- then you may want to try milk kefir, almost all of the lactose is out of it (it's similar to yogurt, but with more probiotic strains and it's more of a smoothie). If you're in the US, a lot of stores are selling Lifeway kefir nowadays, nad if it's working for you you can get kefir grains and make your own quite easily.

Ghee may work. It's rendered from butter, but almost all of the lactose and casein (protein) is out of it so many people who can't tolerate dairy can tolerate ghee. Grass fed is always better if you can afford it.

You can also make bone broth. Beef bone broth ends up with a layer of fat on top that you can remove and use in cooking (if you're worried about toxins, make sure you get the bones from a source you can trust, I've heard of some online options that are quite good and you may find a butcher near you) as well as having some fat in it. Marrow bones should be very cheap, if you're lucky you can even find a good butcher near you who'll give them to you for free. I'm not sure how much fat is in chicken bone broth, but there is some in it. If your family eats chicken then you can get whole ones on the bone and use the meat off of it and cook the bones afterwards. If you go this route, you'll likely want to get a crockpot. Bone broth is also just wildly healthy, so it's a good idea to make it a daily part of your diet if you can.
pumabearclan likes this.

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#6 of 15 Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 AM

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/yet-a...r-animal-fats/ I just found this and thought of you- it's a list of animal fats and where to get them. I'm not 100% positive, but they should all be good sources of saturated fat provided you get them from good quality animals. Fortunately, most of them aren't popular, so often you can get them for cheap.

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

#7 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
My son has a dairy intolerance as well. I started out with coconut milk. Then I switched to almond milk when he was a little older and I was sure he did not have a nut allergy. I give him coconut milk yogurt as well. He doesn't do cheese except the occasional Mac n cheese I make with almond milk. I will say he seems to be growing out of it at 20 months. We've been on vacation and stuff and I haven't been very strict at limiting his dairy intake and he seems to be ok. Often times toddlers grow out of it.
#8 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Raw egg yolks may not produce the same response as the whole egg. You can add them to smoothies or offer them in a small cup alongside other meals. Egg whites have several hormonal and chemical agents that the yolks do not have. Other than protein, the whites have no nutritional value that I'm aware of and can cause allergic reactions.
#9 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Yes I feed my kids egg yolks before they are even one.
pumabearclan likes this.
#10 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had This same worry for my 6 year old when she turned 1...She has a complete dairy allergy and was on a special fórmula...Both the Ped and I knew she couldnt go to cows milk and was concerned..What we ended up doing to make sure she got what she needed was I left her on her special fórmula for an extra year...then we added in coconut milk..She drinks coconut and Rice milk now...
#11 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
My dd has a lactose intolerance and we use rice milk and almond milk for her (she's 8). We've tried soy and coconut but they didn't pass here although they are options. We are actually testing out goat's milk products with her now and so far she seems to be tolerating them well. I've heard a lot of kids with lactose intolerance can tolerate goat's milk so it's worth a shot but I'd still start small just in case.
pumabearclan likes this.
#12 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Goat's milk has a different protein than cow's milk, so people that can't tolerate the cow's milk protein can usually tolerate goat's milk. It also has lower lactose, I believe, so it can be easier on lactose intolerance, but people who are highly lactose intolerant can still have a problem with it.

If lactose is truly the problem, not proteins, then milk kefir would be a good way to go, the kefir grains eat up a lot of the lactose and really reduce the amount. You can get kefir grains to make it at home.
pumabearclan likes this.

#13 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM

All we have given after weaning are the full fat versions of non-dairy milks (No allergies. I am vegan.). As far as their diets beyond that, they eat almost exclusively a plant-based, whole foods diet. So they get fats from the fruits/veggies (yes, fruits & veggies have fat), nuts, and seeds in addition to the plant milks.

My kids are 16 mos, 3 1/2 years, 9 years, almost 20 years, and 22 years
#14 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 PM

I would - and did - wean to fortified soy milk. You can get fortified soy milk with flax seed oil added to help with brain growth.
Soy is less likely to cause an allergy than most animal-based milks.
#15 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Soy can mimic dairy allergies.any people allergic to dairy also have sit allergies. They both have the same kind if protein. Also soy can be a hormone disrupter. I researched on it a lot.
pumabearclan and sillysapling like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page