SUGGESTIONS FOR TODDLER MEALS?? - Mothering Forums
Toddler Nutrition > SUGGESTIONS FOR TODDLER MEALS??
jmercado's Avatar jmercado 11:30 AM 05-27-2014

My 15 month DS seems to be eating less lately at meal time. He seems to be getting disinterested in the meals we're feeding him.

Mostly been varying salmon, grilled cheese, veggies (corn, carrots, peas, zucchini), eggs (not too fond of though), chicken, lasagna, pasta, mac n cheese…. (i'm sure there's more but my brain is fizzling out :)

He also seems to be wanting more flavor in his meals.

Any ideas for new exciting and healthy meals toddlers love? Or even fun ways to serve up food that make it more interesting?

especially breakfast, been mostly doing blueberries in oatmeal, seems to be wearing thin lately. still loves his yogurt and sometimes nectarines and bananas.

Polliwog's Avatar Polliwog 04:50 PM 05-27-2014
At that age, my kids eat what the family eats. Definitely lots of flavor.
JamieCatheryn's Avatar JamieCatheryn 03:34 PM 05-30-2014
Mix up a nice spice rub for the meat (paprika, thyme, garlic, mustard powder, salt, whatever is handy and smells good in the mix), and/or bbq sauce (be ready for mess). Make a curry (mild to start with). Use lime and/or lemon juice. Fresh herbs. Avocado. And butter or olive oil adds richness and babies especially need good fats. Make plenty for everyone this is grown up food too.
macrandall's Avatar macrandall 02:32 PM 06-04-2014
Mine are 14 months old and it's HARD to keep finding them meals! I made a list of everything they like, and we do try new stuff anytime we can. Here are some go-to's:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat
Applesauce
Fruit
Scrambled Eggs
Toast
Bread
Dry Cereal
Graham Crackers

Lunch/Dinner:
Hot Dogs
Meatballs
Cooked Canned Vegetables
Crackers
Pasta/Noodles
Soup
Chicken
Avocado

Honestly, I usually rummage around and find a few different things to give them each meal. Their favorite food is raw avocado, followed by meat. Last night, one of them had graham crackers for dinner, and sometimes you just have to accept the fact that that is what they want. As long as you offer stuff, what more can you do?

Mine do eat meals with me, too. But they don't always like what I'm having, so I sit them down with their own options as often as I can. We almost always feed them dinner while the other person is cooking the adult dinner, and then they eat some off our plates, too (in front of the TV, while they play in-between bites). That isn't as stressful as everyone trying to eat at the same time.
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 02:15 PM 07-01-2014
My toddler eats

Breakfast
toast with peanut butter or butter, or toasted bagels
Eggs
Pancakes
Waffles (I don't give syrup yet)
Yogurt ( I give home coconut milk yogurt)

Lunch
Annie's Mac n cheese
Peanut butter sandwich
Apples slices with skin cut off
Grapes cut in 4ths
Applesauce with cinnamon
Baked French fries
Clementine sections

Dinner
Whatever we are having
Meat, veggies, rice
I put it in the plate and if they eat it they eat it, if not they don't. But sometimes they will be extra hungry and surprise you.
I do buy frozen chicken nuggets only for emergencies or if we are having something he really can't eat. I buy all natural ones and bake them. ( not healthiest option but sometimes you need quick things on hand)
pumabearclan 10:40 AM 07-02-2014
To my opinion, toddler age is the age to wean from sweet (milk) to savory (protein) flavors. Try sweet/hot flavored meats like Asian spices, barbeque, omelettes, cured and smoked fish (salty). To my opinion, most toddler food is geared toward substituting sweet milk with sweet grain-based foods and fruit, which is the foundation of carb-addiction and antithetical to proper bone/body, hormonal and brain development.

Favorite toddler meals here were:
soft-boiled egg with butter & 1/2 pc toast
cold cut & cheese roll-ups with basil
cold smoked salmon & side of raw egg yolks
cold roast beef
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 12:13 PM 07-02-2014
I don't give cold cuts until at least age 3 bc of the risk of listeria. In my opinion if you shouldn't eat it while pregnant you shouldn't eat it at a young age!
Almond milk and coconut milk are filled with many vitamins and minerals, I get unsweetened
pumabearclan 01:00 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
I don't give cold cuts until at least age 3 bc of the risk of listeria. In my opinion if you shouldn't eat it while pregnant you shouldn't eat it at a young age!
"Relatively rare" disease & we get our meat from the farmer, not the grocery store... In the city we got it from the butcher. Never had a problem, and I think cold cuts are a valuable reliable affordable source of nutrition if you have a good quality source for meats.
apeydef's Avatar apeydef 01:02 PM 07-02-2014
When I hear cold cuts I think lunch meat. That's what I thought you meant. Not meat from the butcher.
pumabearclan 01:04 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post
When I hear cold cuts I think lunch meat. That's what I thought you meant. Not meat from the butcher.

Yep, sorry I wouldn't buy from the grocery store either
Up