Can anyone help?Questions about potty training! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hey mamas

Im at that stage where I want to start potty training but don't know where to start. We have had a red potty in our bathroom from ds birth(he is 24 months now). A few times when he was 3 months I put him on the potty and he peed with a cue. Then around 18 months he did use the potty a few times. 

I have always let him see us pee, I have always offered the potty but he just doesn't want to use it. The last six months and even now if I take his diaper off he pees everywhere. When I sit him on the potty he won't pee but will run around the house peeing and he thinks it's funny. I don't! So, we do not have much diaper free time. During diaper changes(we use cloth) he fights me so hard. He kicks and screams and absolutely hates being changed. I feel done with this and ready to move to the next stage. I wanted this stage to be all holistic but... are training pants bad? I was just readin about them and I had no idea what they were. Are there brands that are the best? Errrrrrrr, I m so confused and frustrated.I want him to just run around diaper free and say"pee" when he has to go.....greensad.gif

#2 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I actually just got turned on to this amazing woman (thank you Adorkable!!):

oh crap potty training

I'm in the middle of her book right now, and we are going to start potty training in a few weeks. She's very AP friendly and her advice does not use rewards (which I was wary of from the get-go and one reason I prolonged starting...our DS is nearly 3). She has a really fun, friendly and humorous way of writing and lots of experience and great tips and advice.

She does not recommend training pants, says they are confusing because they're too much like a diaper. In fact she also recommends not even using underwear the first weeks as that is also too much like a diaper. Her system goes: a few days nekkie, a few weeks commando, then underwear once they're used to going in the toilet.

Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 18 Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have had soo many folks i know get such great things from her book! her blog and internet radio show is pretty funny as well!

glad it worked for you too P.J.  i specially love how she simply explains why a lot of the common things we tend to think we should do can be working against us. and how she emphasizes learning your child's rhythm and cues, things we tend to value anyway.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 18 Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Tracy your boy sounds like my girl.  From the time she was 12 months I would occasionally put her on her potty after waking and she would happily pee and delight in my praise.  Now?? She stands up, runs off and sees how many places she can pee before I can wrangle a diaper on her.  I stopped putting her on the potty.  She also fights me like all get out during diaper changes, I can often distract her by singing really obnoxiously, but that doesn't always work.  I will take a good look into that oh crap potty training in a few months once she starts showing that she is interested again.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#5 of 18 Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

Tracy your boy sounds like my girl.  From the time she was 12 months I would occasionally put her on her potty after waking and she would happily pee and delight in my praise.  Now?? She stands up, runs off and sees how many places she can pee before I can wrangle a diaper on her.  I stopped putting her on the potty.  She also fights me like all get out during diaper changes, I can often distract her by singing really obnoxiously, but that doesn't always work.  I will take a good look into that oh crap potty training in a few months once she starts showing that she is interested again.

I am laughing so hard right now....I too sing songs either really loud or with wacky lyrics for distraction.

#6 of 18 Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i have had soo many folks i know get such great things from her book! her blog and internet radio show is pretty funny as well!

glad it worked for you too P.J.  i specially love how she simply explains why a lot of the common things we tend to think we should do can be working against us. and how she emphasizes learning your child's rhythm and cues, things we tend to value anyway.

I just joined the "free" video. Maybe I will just buy the PDF book..thanks

#7 of 18 Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM

i would sugest buying the book right way if you have any inclination to.  even if you are not going to do any of it till later, knowing the things now will help you understand a lot and she may show you that you need to look at different timing than you might otherwise.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 18 Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

glad it worked for you too P.J. 

Well it hasn't worked yet. We aren't starting til mid-May. But I think it's going to go fine....

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 18 Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

P.J

Maybe we should try at the same time to offer support??????? I want to buy the book but $15 dollars right now seem expensive. We have had a lot of expenses this month but working on making it fit in our budgetblahblah.gif.

#10 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Anymore potty training tips???...Anyone, as I feel like I cannot afford to purchase the Oh Crap PDF as of now. I am open to all methods.

Thanks

#11 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HonEstly, I would just keep doing what you are. Offer but don't get concerned if nothing happens.
I would not do training pants. They are more to prevent accidents. They are not as absorbent as diapers.
Maybe switch to quicker diapers, fitted or aio, though toddlers as a group don't like diaper changes no matter what type of diaper.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#12 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

At 24 months I think they are at the age where teaching them leads to success. Diaper Free Before 3 is a great read.

#13 of 18 Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

At 24 months I think they are at the age where teaching them leads to success. Diaper Free Before 3 is a great read.

I just checked it out at the library. will read!!!! thanks

#14 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM

I've heard people mention trying out different potties.  When/why would you buy a new potty to try? DD used to happily pee on her potty when I put her on it, but now she has no interest.  She's 15 months and has only been walking for 2 months so I imagine she just has too much stuff to do right now to sit still on a potty!  Should I try another?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#15 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered two different potties online for variety and excitement.

#16 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update

We have been full on potty training for almost 4 weeks ( I have not washed one diaper,yes!)now and it is going pretty good. We rarely have any accidents and at night I pad up the bed but we potty once at 2 am and no accidents. He has been amazing. We bought 3 different potty's and he likes to chose which one to run to when he feels he needs to go!  

#17 of 18 Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 AM

Great update, Tracy! I'm a lil jealous wink1.gif
#18 of 18 Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Potty training...meh.  It's not fun.  I'm not through it yet, but at least it's starting to click.

1.  I would recommend reading a few books to get some ideas--so if something doesn't work for your kid, you'll have some other things to try.

2.  Have a couple of options (free standing potty and a seat insert).  You never know which one your kid will take a shine to.

3.  Try to get him to sit down on one of these, even if the goal isn't actually peeing/pooping.  Just sitting.  Baby steps.

4.  Diaper free sucks really hard for at least a few days, but eventually the novelty of peeing on the floor (and cleaning it up) wears off.  But at first, peeing on the floor is a game in its own right.  Works best if you don't have carpet.

5.  Praise the heck out of anything that is progresslike.

6.  Try not to lose your temper--it can easily turn into a power struggle/control issue with a child.

7.  If peeing sitting down does NOT work, try standing up.  It's more fun for one.  Consider alternatives to peeing in a toilet (my son loves peeing in cups instead--less intimidating than the toilet I guess.  Anything that isn't diapers is fine with me.)

8.  Training pants aren't bad, but if you're talking about the disposable ones, they're REALLY expensive, and don't contribute much to the toilet training process because they're basically just diapers by another name.  So it doesn't help you get rid of diapers ultimately.

9.  What to wear?  Underwear, or maybe nothing.  I hate kids underwear because it's all licensed characters, then I found some nice (non-themed) underwear at Target made by Gerber that are 100% cotton and soft as baby clothes that have a little extra lining in the crotch area, so they're like wearing regular underwear, but if you trickle just a little bit, you don't have a huge mess on your hands.  

Potty training is the worst, but eventually kids do get it.  Usually before kindergarten, but if not, by first grade.  Even kids with pretty severe disabilities usually get the hang of it before they graduate from high school, so your child will too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page