Can someone help me out with a potty training question? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so first off I'm not a mother, I'm a father.

But I'm pretty sure you help dads out too :)

So...I frequent another forum, and the people there have been very helpful, but because of the slow volume, questions tend to take a while to be answered so I was wondering if you can help me out here.

I'll run through things briefly: I have a two and a half year old boy named Connor, he is everything to me. A little large for his age. He's about 40 inches already and closing in on 36lbs. Not fat, but healthy. We've been really pushing hard for the potty training thing but it's been a challenge because of his above normal size.

We had to skip those potty chair things because he could easily fill them up with pee all the way to the top even in one go, and sometimes even flooding it. Especially in the morning he when he hasn't gone in a while. That doesn't sit well when it ends up all over the floor.

So the advice was to get him his own seat in the big toilet. We got him the Bemis slow closing seat that he could use. And most importantly we wanted him to stand up and go, and after a few trial and errors, step stool and all, he finally did it!...but of course, kids are unpredictable and he did the unexpected. Without my supervision, he will go for a while, then for some strange reason, he will pull his pants back up mid stream! Then consequently, he ends up soaking wet walking about, playing with his toys and leaving pee puddles everywhere! Including the couch. Yuck. He's a big sized kid, so it takes him a minute or more to empty everything, and will quit not even half way through. I guess he's a bit impatient. (You know how kids are. Short attention span) When he was sitting, this wasn't a problem at all, but now he will refuse to sit when it's number 1. Which is fine. Boys should always stand imo. So, I know he is very close to success but needs a little more work.

What a mother's days gift it would be if my little Connor was 100% potty trained!! He's good with number 2 now, no issues there, and loves the seat. It's just this problem. We can't be chasing him in the bathroom at all times, supervising him twenty four seven. And he will close the door on the both of us. He wants his privacy which is great. Does anyone have tips or experienced something similar to this that you can help me out with? Thanks guys!

#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 PM

He's only 2.5. I think if you can't supervise him, then you just have to deal with the mess that comes with it. In my opinion, he's too young to expect more than that.
#3 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Wow! He must have a huge bladder! My 2.5 yo is the exact size of yours and he doesn't have the ability to fill/overflow his little toilet!

I still stay in the bathroom or very nearby when my kiddo goes. He's just not mature enough yet to do it alone and it can get messy pretty fast if I let him! Also, my DS isn't comfortable standing the majority of the time, he likes to squat on the toilet and that's perfectly fine with me. He's only 2 and will have YEARS to master using the toilet the typical male way.

2 is still young to be a completely potty trained kid, just stick with it and your son will get there!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#4 of 4 Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure how big his bladder is, but it tends to get a bit bulgy below the belly button when it's full. I'm pretty sure it's one of the smaller containers, but those chairs are in the past now and will be saved for when another one it's on his/her way. But yeah, it's still pretty impressive as the one he has, can hold about 16oz-18oz. At least I won't have to ever hear the words "I have to go to the bathroom" every 10 minutes. :)

I guess I'm expecting a little too much from him right now, as the eyes tend to play tricks on you, and in your head you're thinking he's much older. He is exactly 2 years and 8 months by the way. Will be 3 at the end of August.

I guess you're right, still too early to be unsupervised. Standing near the door might be the only option available for right now.

My wife and I just find it completely awkward standing there for so long, waiting. Most tots only take seconds whereas mine, a full minute or longer, so that's probably what it is. But I don't think it will be long before he gets it.

Thanks for your suggestions and helping a dad out. If you have more of them, feel free to post them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page