potty training 23 month old & college - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all I've been Sooo busy that I rarely get on here. My little one is going to be 2 in September! It's gone so fast! Not that none of you don't know this already lol. I am starting my first year of Nursing at the end of Aug! I'm so scared that my grades won't be passable, I don't want to fail and especially for my daughter. Can anyone relate? I also have a house and house duties and we're not finished with potty training. I'm afraid I won't be able to juggle anything. Can anyone give me some suggestions with time management with school, family, and household duties.

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!
#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 AM

What time does your 2 year old go to bed for the night? My approach would be to reserve the evening hours (after kiddo's bedtime but before yours) exclusively for school work. That way it should be quiet and you should have a chance to concentrate. I'd try including kiddo in chores so she is occupied/entertained while you manage to get a task or two done. I know it will take longer than to just do it alone but I'd reserve any alone time for school work. I wouldn't worry much about the kiddo, except trying to make a smooth transition to childcare if you've been home all this time. Good luck! I'd be in a very similar situation except that I just had my second child a week ago so my timetable is behind yours by a couple of years now wink1.gif
mommy2be2011 likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 AM

I went to (and graduated from!) college when mine were 3y and 1.5y, graduated when they were 5y and 3.5y. I found it a really awesome, but stressful, time. I learned to cook with a crockpot. I would take the kids to a closed-in park and let them play while I studied. I did most of my written homework after the kids went to bed, and most studying whenever I could squeeze it in. I have this thing where if I write something, I can remember it(I can see it written on the page in my head), so that's basically how I studied. I never had a problem with potty training, it just happened for all of mine right at age 2 so that never factored in anything.

You should have someone you can complain to who will understand and give you compassion, and not try to make you feel like you are doing or expecting too much!

ETA: (sorry, I have a whiny 22 month old on my lap and it's very distracting lol) I was a sahm before college and I didn't work through college, either. My dh worked while I was sahm and then I went to most of my classes when he was home from work. So that would be much easier to handle than working a job AND going to college. I did actually go to college FT and work PT when my firstborn was 6 weeks and I failed miserably. I was pushed into all that by family who I thought knew better than me bc I had gotten pregnant as a teen. I highly regret going to college then. When I went back when my kids were toddlers, I *wanted* to go, I did very well and I have great memories. I graduated with a 3.8 which is not bad!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's I usually do but Now I have been so stressed and I feel so tired by the time my daughter goes to bed. So thats my relax time for myself.. How did you stay motivated through all that? It seems so impossible. I feel as if I'm running out of motivation for my first year of nursing. I don't really have anyone to complain with, that has been succesful through college (And had a family and household to keep in-line) But don't get me wrong I want my career very bad. I just want it over with so I can start. And with grades, I feel like I won't get high enough grades..

Mommy fo one, hubby and dog; suffers from Depression & Fibromyalgia; First Year Nursing Student!
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 AM

I just felt motivated bc I wanted to prove I could do it! I failed out of college the first time, with a new baby and working when I could I just couldn't handle it all. In my 20's when I went back my life was calmer, more stable, and I felt it was the right time.

Nursing is tough, everyone I know who went for or got their RN worked VERY hard. Just keep thinking of how proud you will be when you are finished. All the moms I knew in RN had to have help with the kids sometimes to study or catch up on sleep occasionally. And it's really important to have breaks. Don't let it be all school and housework. Take time for yourself.

There is a forum on here for students which should help you!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 6 Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, that Is one of my problems is that I don't take time for myself.. I didn't know their was a section for student/mommys. What is it called? And thanks again for the advice

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page