How to potty train a boy??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just started trying to potty train my son, and I really have no idea how to handle this. He began being very interested in seeing my husband pee in the toilet, so we decided to start training. I've been leaving him naked for a couple of days from the time he wakes up until he goes to bed. He's peed in the potty twice, sitting down. He does his best not to pee or poo when he's not wearing a diaper, but he doesn't really use the toilet. He's accidentally peed on the floor twice, and other wise mostly holds it until we put his diaper on.

First off, should we teach him to pee sitting down or standing up to start with?

And how do we get him more interested in actually using the toilet? He has no problem sitting on it when we ask him to, and he'll even tell us that he wants to, but he doesn't use it. I just really want this to go smoothly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I think sitting is a start because the whole act of aiming starts a little later. Also, you sound like you are on the right track. Do you have several potties? I think sometimes part of the confusion for toddlers is the use of diapers and the intro to the potty. Also, we train them so long from birth to use a diaper it is like they need time to " unlearn" what has felt comfortable to them. How old is you son?
Good questions mama!
#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just using the toddler seat on the toilet. I don't have any other potties, but we have a really tiny apartment, so the bathroom is only a few steps away wherever he may be in the apartment. Though he does insist on holding it in for a diaper most of the time, he seems to go through periods of hating his diaper. He'll want it changed constantly, even if he hasn't done anything in it. He just turned 3 on Oct 25th.

Fingers crossed that I will be done with poopie diapers soon!

#4 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 PM

We also waited until just before 3 to start the potty and it went very well. He has been PT for about 4 months and still sits on the potty. He knows he can stand (like Daddy) but just prefers to sit. There is nothing wrong with waiting on the standing part until he feels comfortable. Naked (or at least no bottoms) is a good way to start, we would ask quite often if he had to go, especially when he got squirmy and we just made it fun by racing to the potty (we only kept the 1 in the bathroom). I thought peeing would be harder than pooping for some reason but it was the opposite, it did take him a bit longer to get used to pooping in the potty. Sometimes he'd think he would have to poop and I'd imitate the poopy-grunting sound he used to make when he was an infant (sort of that throat-clearing noise) and that helped him figure out how to poop 'when he wanted'. When he had accidents we made them a neutral thing (never punishing at all) but just said something like, poop goes in the potty and it's better to do that so you don't have to sit  in it.. or... these underwear (we went straight to underwear basically after he was used to the potty) aren't for pooping in like diapers, diapers are for babies. We weren't shaming we just told him 'the facts'. That about sums up we did, didn't follow any specific plan just went along with him.

DS: Logan 6/14/10 nocirc.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Yes, we focus on not shaming either. Thanks for bringing that up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page