Early stages potty learning + trip = WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A little bit of background:

DD is 33 months and we've been slowly working on potty learning for a month or so. She definitely needs a diaper at night and most times at nap time too. During the day it depends, she will hold it till we get home if we're out running errands for an hour or two but if she's sitting in her high chair for a while she will pee. She gives no indications that she needs to potty unless she's got a naked bum (in that case she will run to the potty by herself). When she's at my mom's for a few hours she pees in her diapers freely. She has also been very reluctant to pee in public bathroom toilets though has been okay with using the regular toilet at our house and a relative's when visiting, usually she goes on her little potty.

So we are going on a week-long trip to a tropical destination, leaving in 5 days. It's sort of a last minute thing and I'm wondering what to do about the diaper situation. DD wears cloth diapers at home but we bring disposables on vacation/trips. We haven't tried underwear yet but I was planning to put some in her stocking at Christmas, it's something I've talked about with her and she seems excited about.

What would you do in this situation? Bring regular diapers? Will they stand up to being fastened and refastened when we're going to the potty? Should I get pull-ups? Are they absorbent enough to handle nights and a 5 hour plane ride? Start with underwear on the trip or just go along with the previous plan to do that around the holidays?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I think there are regular pull ups and night time pull ups the are more absorbent. I think the diapers will handle the opening and reopening.
Best
#3 of 5 Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 AM

The second week of potty training we went to southern California with our 2 year old son (only a five hour road trip from Phx where we live)-- because we were on a beach he was in a swimsuit mostly without his diaper.  He would, at times, let us know and other times just pee his pants.  Then we went to Sea World and Disneyland and he kind of got comfortable with just peeing his pants.  So-- basically, it regressed him and I kind of thought, I should have just waited.  WAY TOO MANY distractions and different sleep schedule.

When we got home, he potty trained within a week.

My vote-- just wait until after the trip.

anne

#4 of 5 Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I decided to wait until January for the same reason. My mom would not be please if there were regular accidents while we were there for Christmas.
#5 of 5 Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We decided to just go with regular diapers for the trip and I think it was a good choice. DD only asked to use the potty once (in the middle of the night when I'd rather have been sleeping, lol). She wasn't interested when I offered to take her to the potty and was downright scared of the airplane bathroom, even for a diaper change (it was pretty tight for space). So we're back to buying undies for Christmas and we'll see how that goes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page