Looking for advice and suggestions - disposables on vacation - - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I’m looking for advice and suggestions for possibly using disposables on vacation.

My daughter is presently in cloth, and I’m looking for alternatives on vacation. We used disposables (cruisers) in the past, but had to switch to cloth when the cruisers began to leak almost every time she peed. Since the switch, she’s in toddler 8-layer prefolds with a large flat inside as a booster, and that combo has been working quite well, so I’m not interested in switching. I just want something that works for vacation so I don’t have to deal with prefolds.

Potty training is long overdue, but it’s not something that’s about to happen anytime in the near future, so for now I’m stuck with the cloth, and with trying to find something I can work with for the vacation. She’s only 31 lbs, but is tall and skinny. She was in cruisers size 4 when we got all the leaks, so I tried size 5’s and they leaked worse. It seems they’re not made for tall & skinny kids, plus by then she had a huge bladder capacity and could hold it for a long time, then release a flood that was too much and too fast for the chemical to absorb, so they puddle and leaked – a lot.

Ideally, I’m looking for a disposable that has some padding in it (the more the better) in addition to the chemical, so it can absorb a flood before it leaks. It’s been quite a while since we abandoned the cruisers, and it seems that the diaper companies are continually changing what they make (they call it “improved”) so I have no idea how todays cruisers would work – but suspect I’d get the same results as before.

I did notice that they’re now making a “swaddler” in size 5 – does anyone have recent experience with the large swaddlers, or could compare todays version of cruisers with the swaddlers?

I’ve heard of a disposable called Bambo-nature, and it seemed like it had very good reviews – until it was “improved” about September – after that, the reviews weren’t very good at all. Has anyone used this, and how has it worked?

If I can’t find a really good disposable that doesn’t leak, as a second best I might have to consider putting her in the best disposable that I could find, put a large cloth flat on top of the disposable to catch the leaks, and put a PUL cover on top of everything.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathy 711

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you tried these? http://www.gdiapers.com/shop/diaper-inserts

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 4 Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you tried Huggies? We use sposies on vacation and the Huggies (we use Snug & Dry so I don't have experience with their other varieties) worked best for us. Sadly I found the more natural sposies always leaked for us though we only tried a couple of varieties. I think that awful gel stuff that's in regular sposies is just way more absorbent than the natural alternatives, unless you have a light wetter in which case you could probably use most anything. We also used the Costco brand (Kirkland) and liked them as well as the Huggies but they recently changed them or something and they don't work as well anymore IMO.

If the Huggies don't work they also have an Overnight version which has more absorbency. Where I live you can also get them in a combo pack with some regular and some of the overnight ones so you can mix and match depending on how often you can change and how much pee you're expecting.

#4 of 4 Old 12-09-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Are cruisers pull ups? If she is ttall and skinny you probably need a diaper that will fit more snugly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page