Just 4 yo in diapers at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
My daughter decided overnight at 2.5 she was done daytime diapers. But 1.5 years later she still wears a nighttime diaper. The last week she decided she was done but had accidents 3 of 7 nights.

When do you stop night time diapers? And how in the world do you reduce nighttime wetting? I have reduced liquids at night and she pees before bed.

Thank you!

Funny my 2.5 yo son toilet trained in 5 days and refuses to wear night time diapers now. He had peed once in 21 days! He is simply done with diapers. He will even slide out of bed in the middle of the night to pee. Kids are so different.

I guess I wonder if we made it worse letting dd wear diapers at night so long.
#2 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have read that once trained during the day that the bladder muscle is able to hold almost through the night. One thing I do is communicate with my ds that I will wake him to pee. So about two hours after he has been sleeping(tapered juice in evening and pee before bed) I pick him up and put him on the potty. Most of the time he does not wake but pees. Usually we then have no accidents at night. Some set an alarm for older toddlers to do this themselves. Hummm... Rambling.
#3 of 5 Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

My sister did that night time pee for a long time as she went to bed. I tried that once and she screamed at me! But if I warned her maybe it would work. She just had two more dry nights. I might just need to let it be. She is learning too and so proud to be out of diapers. Laundry twice a week for her bed is probably easier than buying, putting on and disposing of dirty diapers! And when she pees the bed she gets a bigger lesson than peeing in a diaper.  Thanks for sharing!

tracyamber likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking a lot about this. My almost 2.5 year old has been dry during the days for a long time but night time is different. There was a time when she used to be waking up from naps and sleep dry but now that is rare! I heard that is a sign but I sort of have a feeling that maybe she just knows she has a diaper on and figures it's OK. She isn't a deep sleeper, and will often wake in the night, call me and I'll find she has a wet diaper, so it's not like she's in a very deep sleep or anything. I'm kind of things about just getting rid of the diapers at night, maybe no pants either, and see if that sparks anything. My instinct tells me that the just waiting thing could have her in diapers for AGES. Anyway, love seeing different ideas about this. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was starting to feel very frustrated with my 3.5-y.o. last summer when she was still peeing in diapers at night (having been day trained for over 1.5 years at that point.  Then one week she was dry three nights in a row, and I asked her about it, and she said she just didn't need to pee at night anymore.  I think it can be a physiological thing that it takes a while for children to be able to hold their urine at night.  I had tried waking her as that is what my mom said she did with my older sister, but DD would freak out and refuse to use the potty, and then subsequently pee in her diaper. 

Anyway, once she stopped, she stopped, and has had about 2 accidents in the past 8-9 months.  I learned my lesson that while encouragement is good, and discussing it with the child is good, trying to force something that a child may not be physically ready for is just a waste of time and energy.  With my second child, who is now day trained, and never pees during her 2+ hour naps, but is not night trained (33 months), we are very happy and supportive of her if she wakes with a dry diaper, but I try to remain matter of fact with her on the mornings when her diaper is wet.  We will tell her that soon she will not need any diapers anymore, and she likes to say that herself, and we make sure that it is a positive thing that we can discuss.  We use cloth, so I don't think it feels all that great for her, and she seems to want to get out of diapers, so hopefully it will be a bit sooner than later!

sageowl likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page