Helping a 28 month old learn to use the potty - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone,

i just started teaching my 28 month old how to use the potty (I feel as if I am a little late).  I am a first time mom and so I am completely new at this.  I would like some tips and pointers on how to get started.  I've started reading an e-book called  "Oh Crap, Potty Training" by Jamie Glowacki.  Does anyone recommend any other books or ebooks?  Any other advice on how to get started is welcome. :-)

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I never read any books. I did random internet searches during the struggles (from my standpoint). Potty "learning" is difficult and my least favorite childhood "milestone". It won't work unless your child is ready. They will show the signs. My DD who is 6 learned at 34 months. My DS who is almost 4 just learned back in September/October. He was more difficult, as boys do things later than girls. He was 50% there for a while and I just couldn't get him to do #2. Then, one day, he did... on his own terms. My advice is don't push it. Introduce the concept slowly and make it fun. You'll be able to tell if your child is interested or not. Also, I personally don't consider 28 months late.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Potty trained my son starting at 2. It takes a few months of accidents, going to the potty many many times, bringing changes of clothes everywhere and a lot of poop clean up. The no bottoms really worked for us and I did not revert back to diapers if it was going to be inconvient. He is now 2.4 and tells me when and will go by himself. He still can't pull his bottoms down.
#4 of 4 Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM

If there are any older kids your child knows, you could make a point of telling your child about how so-and-so uses the potty, and if you're hanging out with that older kid, maybe ask the older kid to show your child how he/she uses the potty.  I did this with my oldest daughter, and then also had some hand-me-down underwear from the older child, and basically said, "Mary uses the toilet, because she's a big girl, and you are probably a big enough girl to use the toilet too. Do you want to try?  If you can use the toilet, you get to wear underwear instead of diapers, and we have some of Mary's underwear that she gave to you for when you are a big girl and using the toilet."  Of course there will be accidents, and you will need to remember changes of clothes, but when they are ready, they can be motivated, and then you just have to find the motivation that works for your child.  I don't think you're late, either - every child is different!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page