Night Learning for a 5 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter was very late in successfully using the potty (3 years) and then for a while at night, we would just let her wet the bed and change the sheets up to 2 times a night hoping the sensation of wetting the bed would alert her to wanting to go by herslef.  (we keep a small potty right next to her bed).  However, this action did not happen on her part, and then we gave up and put her in pullups because the stress of nighttime waking with a newborn was too much in addition to this.  Now, however, I feel she uses the pullups as "permission" to go in them and not on the potty.  For the two years, we have "pottied" her before we go to bed around 10 p.m. to minimize how much pee she actually will accumulate in her pullup, and provide her with a list on the wall (anagram) of what things she needs to do first before coming out of her room.  ie. number one is go to potty, with a little picture of a potty.  She doesn't do that, and it's too late by the time we get to her.  I'd really like to start moving forward with success.   Ugg!  I really don't know how to go about this.  I was watching my husband wake her before our bedtime so she could go and empty her bladder, (she complies, half asleep) and a twinge in me felt awful for doing this because I do not want to be messing with her sleep cycles on top of all of this.  Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It doesn't sound like she's ready.
#3 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes...I understand she's not ready.  She is five now, so I was wondering at what point, and how,  does one go about helping her to become independent of the pullups?  I guess I'm coming from the standpoint that if, as a parent, one doesn't say anything, she may simply be content to use the pullups for much longer than necessary.  Afterall, they are not cheap, nor healthy.

#4 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry the previous reply was so short. I know well the frustrations of late potty training. Having worked in Special Education for awhile, I can tell you, there's worse things out there than a kid who still needs pull-ups at night, so celebrate the fact it's only at night. 18 years old and in diapers is waaaay less fun. Given that there's a not- insignificant number of kids out there who wet the bed well past age 6, and our particular family history around this issue, I'm fully expecting to be doing the kid-in-pull-ups at night thing for awhile. Quite awhile. My own kid sleeps so deeply once he's out there's no way he'll wake up to go to the bathroom. From what I've read, you can either drive yourself crazy trying to "fix" it, or relax and let them grow out of it naturally. The middle ground is limiting water after dinner, bathroom before bed, or rewards for a dry pull-ups if its behavioral, not medical. I don't have any answers but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page