3Likes
  • 1 Post By katelove
  • 1 Post By sillysapling
  • 1 Post By nicholas

#1 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
potty training 20 mo while 8 mo pregnant?

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with potty training while this far along in the pregnancy. It would be nice to do it before the baby comes, but I'm not so sure if now would be a good time given the upcoming changes. He seems interested in the potty and the weather is right for going naked. Any advice would be much appreciated.
#2 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
In many cultures sitting on the toilet is the proper way for men to urinate. If your son is interested in using the toilet to defecate and urinate then encourage him to do so by describing the benefits of sitting on the toilet (no splatter on clothing & restroom surround, no smell, socially acceptable, more hygienic and comfortable than a diaper, etc.) I explained & praised the benefits of using the toilet and my daughter didn't need much encouragement beyond that to use the potty regularly in the appropriate way.
#3 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but "Oh Crap Potty Training" seems like it's a really solid way to go, and it has a lot of advice for any problems you may come across.

#4 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would wait, personally. Unless they seem very, very ready. My oldest daughter was the same age as yours will be when DD2 was born. She had sat on the toilet a few times and took great interest in our activities but other than that, didn't much mind either way. I could think of nothing worse than having to race to the toilet at the drop of a hat or clean up constant messes at term or with a newborn. Not to mention that regression is common with the birth of a sibling. We waited and she transitioned very easily. Straight to normal underwear and virtually no "accidents".

Obviously this is only my experience and preferences but I just thought I'd throw it out there :-)
swede likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have the book, potty learning before 3, which I like so far. katelove- you mentioned a lot of my concerns with starting now, especially the regression part. It's nice to hear your experience and that it went smoothly starting a little bit later.
#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I do agree that, unless your kid is demanding to use the potty, it may be better to wait. I've heard it can take over a month to solidify potty training, and having a newborn come in halfway through will probably throw everything off.

I know how frustrating it is to feel like you've got the perfect time to start, but some other aspect of life prevents you from. You could try if you want, but there are a lot of changes going on and it definitely can still work in a few months.
pumabearclan likes this.

#7 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 11:53 AM

all kinds are different my daughter was trained at the age of 1 during the day and night, however my son was trained at 5 in the day and at 6 and 1/2 at night....patience
its all I can tell you they are all different, good luck
pumabearclan likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page