Mothering Forum banner

Help,I suck at this...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tiffy108 
#1 ·
My daughter just turned 2 this past week, and since I am off for the summer I figured why not give potty traing a stab. What am I getting myself into...lol? Ok we have successfully gotten her to go pee once on the toilet (potty insert added so she won't fall in), and poo 2x. The problem is that she cries when actually going (readily goes to the toilet and gets on the toilet). She seemed ready and willing, once she goes, we cheer, clap, show her the result, wipe & flush. All the time crying ( well actually going and onwards) saying all done, poo bye!!! Is this normal behavior? She isn't scared of the toilet, I guess just the production and result. Last week she wouldn't put her diaper on after we came inside from playing in her pool, and after a few minutes she peed on the floor and went into hysterics. I don't know why, we didn't get angry, we just told her see, you need to use the potty if you are not going to put on a diaper. The same thing happened last night when she got stomach sick on the kitchen floor, the hysteria and crying. I guess I am needing pointers so that we can be successful and the crying will stop. Like I mentioned she seems ready and I would like to get going on training since I right now have the time. Also I forgot to mention that we reward her success also by giving her a quarter of a rice krispie treat, she can't have chocolate (m&m's) due to other medical issues and RK squares are her favorite treat which are usually only given to keep her still for medical procedures...lol.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Children sometimes feel that they are losing a part of themselves if they can't experience their excrements as in a diaper. So your daughter may feel she is "losing control" beyond her psychological ability to cope when she uses the toilet. Kind of like seeing yourself bleeding profusely. It may also be a little too early *for her* so take it slow and given her reaction don't encourage it very much at all, just talk about how you enjoy the ease & cleanliness of the toilet. I told my daughter how the body cleans itself by producing the pee & poo which is the waste and how the excrements are the body doing a fantastic job of removing the pollutions from daily life just like taking a bath cleans the skin. This helped her to see the health and success of having good excrements and flushing them away. I think you are doing just fine (although I wouldn't give her rewards - the reward is her esteem and personal achievement - that doesn't come from you it comes from within so just let it happen). Take it slow and give a lot of information. Let your child lead the way for you. Once she decides she is up to using the toilet, she will do it!

#3 ·
Good Tips, she is doing better with the crying, she now knows that if she goes right away, she is done and gets to get down and start the clean up process (flush, wave and say bye-bye poo, wash and dry hands) She is taking to the toilet better than I thought she would, she actually went 4 out of 5 times yesterday, the medication she takes daily for her health does make her go more than usual and the one time we didn't make it as we were out in the car. I didn't get upset, she was more upset about it, but I encouraged her and said next time we will make it and sure enough we did. She understands the concept but its getting her to tell me she has to go, she did once, and we went right away. She is proud of herself and proud to tell Daddy. I am not pushing to hard at this moment as I know she is young, I just figured we will start slow and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.