• 1 Post By celeste_mom
  • 1 Post By Jessica Smith
  • 1 Post By Markons92

#1 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How old to start?

I have a 19month old and I have split custody of her.
The mother doesn't really seem interested in teaching her to learn how to use the potty yet.

She knows the word potty and knows what it means, and she grabs herself when she has to go. I feel like these are signs that she is ready.

If she has to go #2 she will go to a corner to hide and do her business already. She is super smart and I feel like she would be easy to train if she had support from both of us.

Any advice on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
19mo is very young. She is showing signs of awareness for sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is ready for toilet training. If you want to give it a go then I would keep it very low key. Maybe start with naked time and, if you see her clutching herself then pop her on the potty. If she's not interested or doesn't want to then I wouldn't push it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xerxella likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We got her an Elmo potty because she loves Elmo. I'll just continue to show her how it works and see if she tries to do it herself for a while.

#4 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
We started even younger than that with my DD1, exactly how the PP said. I kept her bottom naked whenever I had time to devote to it, kept the potty at hand and popped it under her if I noticed her starting to go. She started going on her own before age 2.
#5 of 16 Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thank you, thats really useful advice
#6 of 16 Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter did something similar we used "special treats" for every time she sat on the potty and did some business. So in her mind she felt something which meant potty which meant a small treat.
#7 of 16 Old 08-10-2016, 03:05 AM

My 3 year old is now comfortable in using toilet. When she was 15 months i started taking her to the toilet and make her understand how to use toilet seat (use toddler's toilet seat to make them sit on pot) and slowly slowly she started giving positive response to my guidance
that's how they learn with practical demo. Read "Wellbeingart"
#8 of 16 Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 AM

we started when our Amy was 10 months old, we waited until the could sit up and had perfect head and neck control. First we used potty, we kept it always at hand Now small toilet seat for kids which she really likes. And we always explained her "how the belly works", when to use potty or how to use toilet etc. when she was 2 y.o. she was going to bathroom on her own

BTW I'll never forget when my cousin's baby Victoria was 3,5 y.o. and her parents didn't even bother to start teaching her to use potty or toilet and they were still using diapers :/ One day our kids (and two other kids from our neighbourhood) were playing in a small swimming pool for toddlers and Vicky pooped into the pool and the rest of kids started screaming and running away. Then Vicky's parent realized they REALLY need to start teaching her to use toilet!
Zooey Barnett likes this.
#9 of 16 Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM

It's advisable to work at their pace. Considering that the child is already showing signs of awareness, then commencing actual training isn't a bad idea. Normally, you should set a timeline and goals of what you'd like to achieve within that period. Another factor is the shared custody, you should talk to our partner about the potty training, because there are possibilities of relapsing if the other caregiver fails to continue when the child is in her custody.

In all, don't rush it. Let her take her time and before you know it, she would be using the toilet on her own.

Goodluck
#10 of 16 Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 PM

This takes me back, it definitely took a lot of perseverance and was the part I was most dreading as a new mother. Our 4 year old was around 2 & half by the time she was comfortable and pretty much fully transitioned.
#11 of 16 Old 10-30-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Definitely do not rush into anything. Our daughter started using potty when she was 15 months old, now she's almost 3 y.o. and we are teaching her to use toilet
#12 of 16 Old 11-28-2016, 04:46 AM

Some children are faster than others, I agree with the people saying dont rush, it will come naturally eventually when you encourage them!
gorilladox likes this.
#13 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think that's the perfect time to start potty training. You just make sure he has a lot of fun while sitting there. I was always goofing around and as far as remember he was quickly adapted to using the potty.
gorilladox likes this.
#14 of 16 Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Daughter is 4 and has been using the potty since she was 2. Night time is a different story, no matter what I try she can't stay dry the whole night. Apparently I've not to worry until she is at least 8 years old!
#15 of 16 Old 07-07-2017, 06:32 PM

agree - 19 month is very very young) minimum 2 y.o.
#16 of 16 Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Potty training varies on your own personal methods and your own beliefs. I can see benefits to training infants and toddlers. According to experts it takes 8-10 months from the start to be diaper free. Most girls are diaper free in the US by 36 months and most boys in the US by 39 months. So between 26 (for girls) and 29 (for boys) months statically most parents are starting their training.

Potty Training? Don't Do This -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page