Holiday Helper: Family Focus! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 11-29-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Holiday Helper 2013 Challenge:

Let's Get All The Needs Met!

As the winter holidays are so quickly approaching, the Holiday Helper Program needs your support. Our next Holiday Helper Challenge of 2013 is to try to meet as many of the needs for our Families in Need (FINs) as possible, especially for those families for whom the Holiday Helper program has not yet been able to support many of their needs. Please see below for details on how you can help.

Total number of families: 20

Number of families with all requests met: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Total percentage of needs met so far: 46% 49% 52%  53%  56% 67% 76% 77% 78% 84% 87% 88%

Goal: To meet 100% of the requests :heartbeat

Families with less than than 70% of needs met

Thanks to the support of the Mothering community, all families have at least 70% of their needs met. :thumb

Families with less than than 80% of needs met

FIN #3-MA-Family of 5 recovering from multiple unexpected medical challenges

FIN #10-IA-Family of 5 getting resettled after a stressful year

FIN #13-CO-Family of 5 struggling after major loss

Helpers, how lovely would it be to know there are no families with less than 80% of needs met?

Let's make it happen today!

Families with less than than 90% of needs met

FIN #2-MA-Family of 7 with both parents out of work and looking for jobs

FIN #4-MA-Family of 5 affected by the furlough and the sequestration and by medical challenges

FIN #6-WI-Family of 8 working to make ends meet

FIN #7-CA-Rural family of 7, soon to be 8, working to keep afloat

FIN #11-NC-Family of 6 affected by slow construction economy

Helpers, how wonderful would it be to know there are no families with less than 90% of needs met? Let's make it happen this week!

Families with less than than 100% of needs met

FIN #1-CA-Single mom with 6 children who recently made the transition from homelessness

FIN #14-AZ-Single mom and son trying to get caught up financially after a tough year

FIN #16-GA-Family of 5 affected by medical challenges

Helpers, wouldn't it be fabulous to meet all of these open needs? Let's do it!

Lists updated as of Sunday, January 12th, 1:45 pm US Eastern time.

How can you be a helper?
1. You can visit our Master Needs List to see what each family has requested.

2. You can read about the individual FINs in our Families in Need Forum

3. You can post to the I Have Available Thread with what you have to offer and our lovely volunteer match makers can make the matches for  you. 

4. You can contribute here and your contributions will be matched with other member's contributions to support families.

If you have any questions, please contact HappyHappyMommy and QueenOfTheMeadow.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  

We are pleased to be able to offer something for our helpers this year! Anyone who provides an item or items--including gift cards--in response to a FIN's requests (check the family profiles here or the Master Needs List here) or who posts to offer something on the I Have Available thread will be entered into a raffle to win a supporting membership at Mothering (supporter package #1). At the end of Holiday Helper, we will draw names to select three helpers to receive supporting membership at Mothering.For more information, check the Holiday Helper FAQ.

Holiday Helper will run through January 15, 2014, but let's see if we can get to 100% needs met before January 15th! Can it happen today?

:joyThank you for spreading the joy this holiday season! :joy 

Springshowers likes this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#2 of 66 Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
This is such an amazing program. Thank you for helping make it happen. Time is running out to get presents to people in time for Christmas, so if you are thinking of helping some one have a great Christmas this is a great time to make it happen.
milagras and HappyHappyMommy like this.
#3 of 66 Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

This is such an amazing program. ... Time is running out to get presents to people in time for Christmas, so if you are thinking of helping some one have a great Christmas this is a great time to make it happen.

Yes! This! :joy

If you are reading and can help, please check out the Master Needs List or post to the “I Have Available” thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or any of the HH facilitators.

milagras likes this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 66 Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up! :heartbeat

If you'd like to help and aren't sure how, please PM me!

milagras likes this.

#5 of 66 Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 AM

It is a good time to make space for new toys and clothes. Why not clear out some too small clothes or toys to share with families in the holiday helper Program.

Having less stored makes it much easier to keep your home lovely.
#6 of 66 Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Hmm. Better done without little kids around. I asked my four year old what toys we could give away and the answer was none! I know for a fact she never touches 80% of them.
#7 of 66 Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm. Better done without little kids around. I asked my four year old what toys we could give away and the answer was none! I know for a fact she never touches 80% of them.

One thing that I've tried (and this worked back when my DD was four) was to pick a number "Pick 5 toys that you would be willing to give to another child." Something about counting seemed to help!

milagras likes this.

#8 of 66 Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM

I have started moving things to a high shelf that I want to give away. It has worked so far. There are about ten things there now. None nice enough for the HH program unfortunately.
milagras likes this.
#9 of 66 Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM

I had more fun buying for this program than buying for my family. And it is so easy on Amazon with their free shipping on so many items.
#10 of 66 Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I had more fun buying for this program than buying for my family. And it is so easy on Amazon with their free shipping on so many items.

:joy

milagras likes this.

#11 of 66 Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

"...the world needs hundreds of thousands of more people like you." -Evette Carter

Holiday helper needs people like you to get special gifts to our Families in Need. You can visit our Master Needs List to see what each family has requested or you can post to the I Have Available Thread with what you have to offer and our lovely volunteer  match makers can make the matches for you. Or if you see a FIN that you want to help, but you don’t have the time to shop for, you can send a gift card for one of their needs. Thanks to everyone supporting Holiday Helper! :thumb 

milagras likes this.

#12 of 66 Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

milagras likes this.

#13 of 66 Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Bumpity bump go the reindeer on the roof!
#14 of 66 Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone, thanks for all of the help so far! Please see post #1 for some stats about how we are doing. Please help us reach our goal of meeting every family's requests. :heartbeat

milagras likes this.

#15 of 66 Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I so totally agree with this! I look forward to HH during the rest of the year.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#16 of 66 Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwaderin View Post

I look forward to HH during the rest of the year.

Me too!!!!!!! :joy

milagras likes this.

#17 of 66 Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Wow 46% is already means dreams coming true for so many. It makes me so happy to think about how this is impacting families, especially the children.
#18 of 66 Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow 46% is already means dreams coming true for so many. It makes me so happy to think about how this is impacting families, especially the children.

Me too! I hope that percentage keeps rising and we can reach 100% soon!

milagras and tightwaderin like this.

#19 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM

I can't wait to see the next update! How is it going?
#20 of 66 Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can't wait to see the next update! How is it going?

Check out the update in post #1 :o; we've moved from 46% of needs met overall to 49% of needs met overall!

#21 of 66 Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM

FANTASTIC!  :clap

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#22 of 66 Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

milagras likes this.

#23 of 66 Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Check out the update in post #1. We are up to 52% of needs met!

milagras likes this.

#24 of 66 Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Check out the Thank You thread to see how much your support means to Mothering's families. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to meet all of the needs of these 20 families? Can you help support of the families that still has needs to be met? PM me if you have any questions.

milagras likes this.

#25 of 66 Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM

I love the "Thank You" thread. I read every post! It makes me so happy to think of the difference the HH program can make for children on Christmas Day.
#26 of 66 Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Many of our HH families celebrate Christmas. It's only a week away! Can you help us meet some needs before Christmas? If you don't have time to order a gift or send a gently used item, contribute some spare change or more to help support Mothering's families! To contribute to the PayPal collection, just go to the PayPal site (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/send-money-online), and send whatever amount you wish to the email address: motheringHH2013@yahoo.com. PM me if you have any questions.

milagras likes this.

#27 of 66 Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

Check out the Thank You thread to see how much your support means to Mothering's families. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to meet all of the needs of these 20 families? Can you help support of the families that still has needs to be met? PM me if you have any questions.

It's not too late!!  You can still help!!  If you need some inspiration, check out the Thank You thread (click the link in the quote above)!! 

hh2.gif

#28 of 66 Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagras View Post
It's not too late!!  You can still help!!

:yeah

milagras likes this.

#29 of 66 Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Check out the update in post #1 :o; we've moved from 53% of needs met overall to 56% of needs met overall! Let's see if we can get to 100%!!!!

#30 of 66 Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're getting there! I am so surprised at how fast this season has gone, so if you have been meaning to do something, now is the time! Everyone pitching in just a little is what makes the holiday helper program work! You may not know who each family is, but you know they are struggling and you know they are active members of your MDC community. Let's face it, the world is a better place when we reach out and offer a helping hand!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page