Holiday Helper 2013 Children's Toys, Games, Puzzles, Books, and Arts Challenge - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Holiday Helper 2013 Children’s Toys, Games, Puzzles,  Books, and Art Supplies Challenge

It is already December and the holidays are upon us!   With that in mind, Holiday helper desperately needs your support to get special gifts to our Families in Need.

We are looking Toys, Games, Puzzles, Books, and Art Supplies.   They can be new or gently used.  You can visit our Master Needs List to see what each family has requested, read about the individual FINs in our Families in Need Forum,  or you can post to the I Have Available Thread with what you have to offer and our lovely volunteer  match makers can make the matches for  you .  Also, if you see a FIN that you want to help, but you don’t have the time to shop for, you can send a gift card for one of their needs. 

Do you remember what the favorite toy you received as a gift as a child?  I do!  I spent hours and hours building towers and farms and castles with my blocks.  I can still remember how excited I was to receive them!  Let’s make sure that each child in our Families in Need gets to experience that joy!  What was the favorite toy you received as a child? 

“Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.”

Eleanor Roosevelt

Art, Music, and Crafts Supplies

#7(CA): a larger lap loom

#7(CA): djembe or doumbek drum

Books and Magazines

#3(MA): Books, like American girl doll books about McKenna the gymnast or the gymnast fairy or any thea stilton books girly ones.

#14(AZ): Sharp Objects series by Gillian Flynn  (gone girl)

Toys, Dolls, Puzzles, and Games

#1(CA): doll supplies, for an 8 year old

#1(CA): Dolls and doll supplies, for a 4 year old

#2(MA): Dr. Who paraphanelia

#2(MA): American Girl doll (preferably with wavy blond hair and blue eyes)

#3(MA): the our generation 4x4 car at target or the scooter

#7(CA): remote control boat

Lists updated as of Monday, January 13th, 10:40 pm US Eastern time.

Holiday Helper will run through January 15, 2014, but let's see if we can meet these needs sooner!

milagras and HappyHappyMommy like this.

#2 of 53 Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Ok, I know this is not a toy or a book, but my first thought was the year (I don't remember how exactly old I was, but I think I was 7 or 8 or maybe 9) that an adult cousin of mine got me the Flashdance record (yes, record). I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. My parents were completely confused, but I remember them looking at my cousin and saying "You knew just want to get to make her eyes sparkle." I also remember the year that I got a jigsaw puzzle of an underground bear house; I put the whole thing together that day and I've done it for the holidays every year since.

I hope that together we can make all of the wishes in post #1 come true; imagining the delight the presents are opened makes me grin! :D

milagras and QueenOfTheMeadow like this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 53 Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Santa brought me a basic Lego set one year along with a road plate. No specialty sets at that time; I was lucky to get trees, fences, and wheels. I built so many variations of houses and cars on that plate! When my boys were young they played with that same road plate and had just as much fun as I did.

Want to see your child get excited? Have them help you choose a child to send a toy to. It will make you all tingly inside!

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#4 of 53 Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwaderin View Post

Want to see your child get excited? Have them help you choose a child to send a toy to. It will make you all tingly inside!

:yeah

@tightwaderin, I also got lego sets and loved the trees. I remember the fun I had making landscapes.

Anyone else, what toys do remember being excited by?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 53 Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM

One year - I think I was 6 or 7 years old - Santa brought a huge cardboard house.  It looked like a gingerbread house on the outside. I could stand up inside and it even had windows.  :-)   We never got a lot of presents when we were kids.  Times were tough, but I'll never forget playing inside my own little clubhouse.  And with two older brothers it meant a lot to have my own little space where I knew my dolls were safe from getting their heads pulled off!  :-) 

Do you have a special memory from childhood?  One of those wishes that came true?  And maybe a few that didn't?  I know I marked off A LOT of pages in those Sears Wishbooks that came to our house each Autumn...  Oh, the memories...

Will you help us make these wishes come true?  I hope you join us.  Every little bit helps too, so if you aren't sure what YOU can do, just drop us a message.  :-)

hh2.gif

#6 of 53 Old 12-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagras View Post

Do you have a special memory from childhood?  One of those wishes that came true?  And maybe a few that didn't?  I know I marked off A LOT of pages in those Sears Wishbooks that came to our house each Autumn...  Oh, the memories...

Ah yes, the Sears Wishbooks...how we loved them!

#7 of 53 Old 12-06-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
One year my sisters and I got shrinky dinks. We had so much fun with them!

#8 of 53 Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:

One year - I think I was 6 or 7 years old - Santa brought a huge cardboard house.  It looked like a gingerbread house on the outside. I could stand up inside and it even had windows.  :-)   We never got a lot of presents when we were kids.  Times were tough, but I'll never forget playing inside my own little clubhouse.  And with two older brothers it meant a lot to have my own little space where I knew my dolls were safe from getting their heads pulled off!  :-)

What a beautiful memory! :love

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

One year my sisters and I got shrinky dinks. We had so much fun with them!

I loved shrinky dinks!

Quote:
Will you help us make these wishes come true?  I hope you join us.  Every little bit helps too, so if you aren't sure what YOU can do, just drop us a message.  :-)

:yeah

#9 of 53 Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 PM

My DP was saying today how much he liked getting books as a kid. I asked if he had a favorite and he mentioned a fantasy book I hadn't heard of. To be totally honest, I'm not familiar with some of the books that have been requested, but I imagine that those asking for them will love receiving them as much as my DP enjoyed the fantasy book he remembers some twenty-plus years later. :joy 

#10 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My favorite toy was a Fisher Price safari set. I am sure it was added to for years as we still have a milk crate of it our kids are playing with now.

I treasure those childhood memories!!
HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#11 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 AM

thumb.gif

#12 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM

I loved our Fisher Price people and their sets from the 80s.  My favorite was the castle.  :-)

hh2.gif

#13 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:

My favorite was the castle.  :-)

Oooh, yes, castles! One of my friends had a lego castle and he and I would play with it for hours and hours and hours...such fun!

#14 of 53 Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Loved reading book a child! Happy holidays

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#15 of 53 Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 PM

"What comes from the heart goes to the heart." -Samuel Taylor Colridge

Holiday helper needs everyone's support to get special gifts to our Families in Need. Can you help meet a book or toy wish from the list above? Or is there another wish you can grant. You can visit our Master Needs List to see what each family has requested or you can post to the I Have Available Thread with what you have to offer and our lovely volunteer  match makers can make the matches for you. Or if you see a FIN that you want to help, but you don’t have the time to shop for, you can send a gift card for one of their needs. Thanks to everyone supporting Holiday Helper! :o

#16 of 53 Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM

My kids are loving the crazy battery operated books that play music right now! Not my usual thing but they seem festive somehow.
#17 of 53 Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

My kids are loving the crazy battery operated books that play music right now! Not my usual thing but they seem festive somehow.

How fun! :bgbounce

#18 of 53 Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 AM

Does anyone have special holiday books they only bring out once a year? My parents had two pop up books about the holidays I treasured. I think that would be a great tradition to repeat.
#19 of 53 Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM

As a child we had the usual "Rudolph" and "'Twas the Night Before Christmas", along with others, but my youngest found one that he fell in love with at the library: Berkeley Breathed's "Red Ranger Came Calling". It's kind of a strange Christmas story set in 1939 about a boy wanting a Red Ranger bicycle. He checked it out so many times, even in the summer, that I eventually had to find a copy for his own.

#20 of 53 Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM

My favorite holiday book as a child was the version of the Night Before Christmas illustrated by Tomie Depaola. And my favorite television tradition was Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. :)

milagras and tightwaderin like this.

#21 of 53 Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 PM

I remember getting flip books in my stocking...the kind that have a slightly different picture on each page and if you flip them quickly, it looks like the pictures are moving. I loved those!

milagras likes this.

#22 of 53 Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

I remember getting flip books in my stocking...the kind that have a slightly different picture on each page and if you flip them quickly, it looks like the pictures are moving. I loved those!

I still love flip books.  I also had the kind that you could change the images by flipping the different "leaves" of each page.  You could change the eyes only or the mouth etc to create many different pictures like friendly monsters or strange animal creations. 

hh2.gif

#23 of 53 Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Has anyone come across The Elf on the Shelf book? It comes with a little elf doll you move around the house.

I move it around regularly and the kids love it. I don't follow the stories "the elf is watching you and reporting to Santa" message from the book though.

The kids are whispering their Christmas wishes to it though.
#24 of 53 Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagras View PostI also had the kind that you could change the images by flipping the different "leaves" of each page.  You could change the eyes only or the mouth etc to create many different pictures like friendly monsters or strange animal creations. 

I love those books. Mixing the legs of one creature with the body of another and the head of another kept me enthralled for hours as a kid and, as an adult, I still get drawn into to seeing what I can make by flipping the various pages.

milagras likes this.

#25 of 53 Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM

I have never been a puzzle person but my Mom loves getting one for Christmas every year. I like helping but could never imagine choosing to do one on my own. What about you?
#26 of 53 Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

I have never been a puzzle person but my Mom loves getting one for Christmas every year. I like helping but could never imagine choosing to do one on my own. What about you?

I love puzzles!  During the winter months we sometimes put up a card table and spend hours working on them.  I also like to make pictures from puzzles.

hh2.gif

#27 of 53 Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 AM

I have had photo collage puzzles made for her of the kids. It is a perfect present for her!
#28 of 53 Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I love puzzles!  During the winter months we sometimes put up a card table and spend hours working on them.  I also like to make pictures from puzzles.

Me too! Jigsaw puzzles are fun for a mixed-age group, IME, and I love those wooden puzzles for younger children.

milagras likes this.

#29 of 53 Old 12-16-2013, 07:14 AM

My DD said that one of her favorite gifts was a cuddly stuffed animal! Which toy or book wishes can we make come true today?

milagras and tightwaderin like this.

#30 of 53 Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Check out the Thank You thread to see how much your support means to Mothering's families. Wouldn't it be fantastic to be able to meet all of books, toys, and other requests for these families? Can you help meet a book or toy request or other need today? PM me if you have any questions.

milagras likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page