anyone have experience with thyroid issues related to pregnancy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
September 2014 Due Date Club > anyone have experience with thyroid issues related to pregnancy
kateaton's Avatar kateaton 10:51 AM 01-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

Okay, I have some feedback from a couple of good sources:

First, the mama from that thread on Mothering: (not verbatim) She said she prefers synthroid because it's harder to find a stable dose of armour and pregnancy makes it even harder. If you had found your proper dose prior to pregnancy of armour (or some other dessicated thyroid), then it would probably be easier to tweak.  She said the synthroid has a very long half-life while the T3 in armour has a very short half-life and this is where the trickiness lies.

My second source is a mama friend who has had a crazy ride with thyroid issues (at one point was given a couple of weeks to live!) She was initially dx'd as having Graves' disease but then switched to Hashimoto's but still had hyper symptoms and her doctor wanted to blast her thyroid. When she said no, that's when he gave her the limited-time-to-live talk.  Then, she found an ND who was willing to try healing her thyroid naturally (the same ND I went to for adrenal issues - I have a cute story about this I'll share at the end.) 

He dx'd her with severe adrenal issues and they worked really hard on that and there was something about eating like 20 eggs a day for the thyroid. (??) At some point, she also took thyroid meds but I don't think it was under the ND's care (most likely before she saw him.)

She lost a pregnancy at 8 weeks and then got pregnant again and the doctor put her own Pro-gest immediately when she had some bleeding at 6.5 weeks and it stopped. (This wasn't the ND, btw.) The ND had said he would rather have her on pregnenolone because it's the raw material that the body needs to make all of the other hormones, including progesterone. I took pregnenolone to heal my adrenals while bfing. The ND seems to think that it can be hard to wean off of progesterone after birth (hence why he recommends pregnenolone instead.) She really thinks the Pro-gest is what saved that second pregnancy because having adrenal fatigue (and thyroid issues) will usually result in depleted progesterone. 

And, Wawa, I completely agree with you about thyriod/adrenals being different sides of the same coin. This is how my ND explained it to me 7 years ago. Actually, he said that CFS is a double sided coin with one side being adrenal and the other being thyroid (sometimes with other stuff mixed in like Lyme or EBV, etc.) Pregnenolone is at the top of the adrenal cascade, so to speak, and it's made by the body from cholesterol. From there, the body converts it to other hormones and directs them as needed. Some hormones take priority over others, like the adrenal hormones over sex hormones, for example, so we often end up with crazy hormonal imbalances.

Back to my friend: her Hashimoto's numbers were through the roof before and during pregnancy but the baby's perfect (and she's one of the cutest babies I've ever seen!!!) She took "porcine Thyroid" by Nutrimed which she said is some heavy duty stuff (but it's a supp, not Rx) and she also took Thytrophin PMG by Standard Process - both during pregnancy. For adrenal support, she took 3 Mil Adgregen a day (what I took to heal my adrenals - they're glandulars with zinc, liver, vit. c, B6) and a full dose of ACE (adrenal cortex extract - which I also took.) On top of all of that, she took 90 mg of pregnenolone/day (That's a lot! The most I ever took was 30mg...) and the Pro-gest (which she still takes even though the baby was born last July.)

This part is really interesting: Her doc's wife (not the ND) lost 5 pregnancies until she started using Pro-gest and then went on to have 3 healthy babies (probably why he's happy to prescribe it often...) But, this woman also has thyroid and adrenal issues and thyroid antibodies. The doc went to the Czech Republic and found a peptide injection that's supposed to actually heal the autoimmune dysfunction and according to my friend, this woman has improved greatly with the injections. My friend also did them for a little while before she got pregnant, but at $300 a pop, she ran out of money.

SO, that's all of the info I was able to dig up in the last 24 hours.

My mw order blood work but she sent it to Quest instead of LabCorp. But that's good because she said she wasn't able to find any codes for antibody testing with Quest but I found them through LabCorp and sent them to her. I haven't heard back yet but I only have a small

window of time today that I can leave to get blood work done and it's getting smaller by the minute!

thank you so much for relaying all of this info!  I'm still waiting for my T3 and 4 and antibody results, which I should be getting any time now.  

I'm still torn about the armour vs. synthroid.  There are very few drs. here in NH that treat with armour.  I may call a couple and see about their thoughts/ experience with treating pregnant women with armour.  But I may go on synthroid immediately if that is an option and if I find it too difficult to find someone willing to give me armour.  My #1 priority is not wasting time and getting this baby the hormones it needs.  So however that plays out, then so be it.  I honestly don't feel horrible, so it's not like I need major symptom relief right now.

According to your ND, what is the best way to support the adrenals during pregnancy?

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 11:49 AM 01-13-2014

During pregnancy, he uses Mil Adregen (I listed the ingredients above) and ACE (adrenal cortex extract) and pregnenolone (because the body can use it to make any of the necessary hormones.)

I took Dr. Ron's adrenal capsules during my last pregnancy because if our adrenals are weak, we'll pull from the baby's adrenals (this is one of the reasons we sometimes feel so much better as pregnancy progresses. :( ) I just ran out like two days ago but it's at the top of my to-do list. My prenatal has zinc and vitamin c and B vitamins so I feel okay with that. I have leftover pregnenolone but I don't know if I want to start that - I definitely want to see what my hormones look like from my blood work first. If needed, I might just do progesterone. (I wish my mw would hurry up and order my blood work...)

I'm a big believer in food-as-medicine so I eat raw (crispy) pumpkin seeds for zinc and I eat (raw) beef liver because it's sooooo good for me, especially for nourishing my glands and we take fermented cod liver oil, butter oil, lots of pastured raw dairy, bone broths, etc. I don't buy food based on yumminess alone; it MUST be as full as nutrients as possible.

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 04:16 PM 01-13-2014

So, I waited most of the day for the dr. office to call and finally left them a message around 3.  I get a call back after 5 from some nurse saying that the bloodwork isn't in yet and that the nurse practitioner who ordered it won't be in until weds!  wtf!!  so I asked her if there was someone who could look at it tomorrow and deal with this.  I told her that I felt this was urgent and was very uncomfortable with waiting.  She kept saying I don't understand what you mean.  I kept repeating myself saying that I was at increased risk of miscarriage and brain development problems with the baby.  She told me to not worry about it and that the np would call me on weds.  She was rude.

I am so pissed and got all upset and stressed out, which I know won't help anything.  But I don't know what to do.  My primary works at this practice, so I think I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning and leave her a message explaining everything.  Am I overreacting?  How long is it safe to wait?  The thing is that even once this np "deals" with the bloodwork I don't think she'll be prescribing me anything.  If she refers me to an endo, how long will I have to wait to see that person?  AGGGHHH, this is insane!  Maybe my primary will just prescribe me some synthroid as an immediate help, I don't care at this point, I just want this baby to have the thyroid hormone that it needs. 

wawa94's Avatar wawa94 05:07 AM 01-14-2014
I think getting on Synthroid in the meantime is a good idea. That will buy you some time to finish sorting through everything to make a more long term plan.
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 09:19 AM 01-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa94 View Post

I think getting on Synthroid in the meantime is a good idea. That will buy you some time to finish sorting through everything to make a more long term plan.

I think that's what I'd do. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I have the time to figure out these different meds. I *just* had my blood work done so I don't even know what my thyroid tests will show (maybe they're good!) but I think if I'm hypo, I'll just go the Synthroid route for now and maybe try switching later in pregnancy if that's okay. Or, even after pregnancy.

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 07:46 AM 01-15-2014

ok, so I finally talked with the np, and my results are as follows... tsh 6.28, free t4- 1.19, total t4 7.1, free t3 2.9

Because all these other numbers are "in range" she doesn't want to treat me!  She said she would refer me to an endo though.  This makes me so nervous.  I don't know what to do.

She said she doesn't think that an endo would treat me either, just keep an eye on things.  Maybe I just need to go to a naturopath.  Is this something that really should be treated?

wawa94's Avatar wawa94 08:42 AM 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateaton View Post

ok, so I finally talked with the np, and my results are as follows... tsh 6.28, free t4- 1.19, total t4 7.1, free t3 2.9

Because all these other numbers are "in range" she doesn't want to treat me!  She said she would refer me to an endo though.  This makes me so nervous.  I don't know what to do.

She said she doesn't think that an endo would treat me either, just keep an eye on things.  Maybe I just need to go to a naturopath.  Is this something that really should be treated?

Here's the thing--some women have really wacky thyroid numbers and still carry healthy babies with no problem.  Other women have bad numbers and CAN'T carry a healthy baby to term until they are medicated.

Personally, I would not feel entirely comfortable about that TSH.  No, it's not drastic (mine was in the 90's when I was first diagnosed!).  But a lot of information out there suggests that a TSH below 5, and ideally between 1 and 2 is the best for pregnancy.  That might not seem like a big difference from where your TSH is now, and for many women, it might NOT matter.  But I would at least be getting a second opinion, probably from a naturopath rather than an endo.

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 09:28 AM 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa94 View Post

Here's the thing--some women have really wacky thyroid numbers and still carry healthy babies with no problem.  Other women have bad numbers and CAN'T carry a healthy baby to term until they are medicated.

Personally, I would not feel entirely comfortable about that TSH.  No, it's not drastic (mine was in the 90's when I was first diagnosed!).  But a lot of information out there suggests that a TSH below 5, and ideally between 1 and 2 is the best for pregnancy.  That might not seem like a big difference from where your TSH is now, and for many women, it might NOT matter.  But I would at least be getting a second opinion, probably from a naturopath rather than an endo.

I already put a call in to a naturopath I used to see years ago.  My gut is telling me that is not ok.  And that's the thing that makes me nervous, is that I just don't know if my body can carry a healthy baby with these levels, and why should I mess around?  I have the information, and I'm going to do everything in my power to give this baby an optimal environment to thrive in.  

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 11:51 AM 01-15-2014

I have an appointment with my naturopath tomorrow.  I have to pull my 6 and 7 year old out of school early and bring them with me since I have no one to pick them up.  It's a bit stressful, but I'm relieved that I don't have to wait forever.  

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 06:29 AM 01-16-2014
Quote:

When all is said and done, you should print out the new range and give it to her - and the ideal range for pregnancy - you might be doing other mamas (and their babies) a favor.

Quote:

I have an appointment with my naturopath tomorrow.  I have to pull my 6 and 7 year old out of school early and bring them with me since I have no one to pick them up.  It's a bit stressful, but I'm relieved that I don't have to wait forever.  

Good for you for trusting your gut. Even if everything would have been fine without treatment, you'd have gone through the whole pregnancy worrying that you didn't follow your gut. I actually find it comforting to have one of my children with me when I'm doing something stressful; they're intensely grounding.

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 03:13 PM 01-16-2014

@kateaton, how was your visit?

I just got my thyroid numbers back:

TSH: 2.29 (woot!)

T4: 7.2

T3 uptake: 28

Free thyroxine index: 2.0

TSH reflex to TF4: 2.22

Triiodothyronine, free: 3.0

I haven't looked up any of these numbers on STTM, but I'm feeling good about them for now. At least my TSH isn't through the roof and my antibody tests seem good. I think we're still waiting on more results.

My HCG was 135 on Tuesday. :( I just had another draw this afternoon and will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) to find out the number. My progesterone from Tuesday was 5.68 - SO low. And I'm bleeding. It's not heavy, more like CM streaked with red blood. Not looking good right now but I'll take a miscarriage over an ectopic (which is a concern with numbers like that.)

@kateaton, I hope your news is better than mine!

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 03:21 PM 01-16-2014

I saw my naturopath today and she put me on a low dose of naturethroid to start.  She will be monitoring my blood levels every 3 weeks for a while and adjusting the dose as necessary.  She also thinks this may be related to iodine deficiency and wants me to eat kelp/nori daily along with some tyrosine capsules.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to have this being dealt with- properly!

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 03:25 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:

I saw my naturopath today and she put me on a low dose of naturethroid to start.  She will be monitoring my blood levels every 3 weeks for a while and adjusting the dose as necessary.  She also thinks this may be related to iodine deficiency and wants me to eat kelp/nori daily along with some tyrosine capsules.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to have this being dealt with- properly!

That's wonderful news! Naturethroid is what I would have chosen if I needed something. My Dd's holistic dentist takes that and says it's the only non-GMO thyroid med out there. I think you'll be fine. :hug

kateaton's Avatar kateaton 03:27 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

@kateaton, how was your visit?

I just got my thyroid numbers back:

TSH: 2.29 (woot!)

T4: 7.2

T3 uptake: 28

Free thyroxine index: 2.0

TSH reflex to TF4: 2.22

Triiodothyronine, free: 3.0

I haven't looked up any of these numbers on STTM, but I'm feeling good about them for now. At least my TSH isn't through the roof and my antibody tests seem good. I think we're still waiting on more results.

My HCG was 135 on Tuesday. :( I just had another draw this afternoon and will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon (hopefully) to find out the number. My progesterone from Tuesday was 5.68 - SO low. And I'm bleeding. It's not heavy, more like CM streaked with red blood. Not looking good right now but I'll take a miscarriage over an ectopic (which is a concern with numbers like that.)

@kateaton, I hope your news is better than mine!

so funny, I was just on here typing about my visit when you were typing this.   those numbers look good!  although I'm no expert in thyroid results.  They're higher than mine though.

I'm so sorry about your hcg numbers :1praying I'll be praying for a healthy and positive outcome for you.  Are you starting a prog. supplement?  Can't that prevent a miscarriage if you start right away?  Maybe that's all you need for this to turn around?  I don't know anything about prog. but I know it's very easily supplemented.  I'm glad you made sure to get that level checked though.  

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 03:31 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:

so funny, I was just on here typing about my visit when you were typing this.   those numbers look good!  although I'm no expert in thyroid results.  They're higher than mine though.

I'm so sorry about your hcg numbers :1praying I'll be praying for a healthy and positive outcome for you.  Are you starting a prog. supplement?  Can't that prevent a miscarriage if you start right away?  Maybe that's all you need for this to turn around?  I don't know anything about prog. but I know it's very easily supplemented.  I'm glad you made sure to get that level checked though.  

I don't know about progesterone. It might be that the pregnancy isn't viable and supplementing with progesterone will just delay the inevitable? Or, there's the ectopic thought.. I think I have to wait and see what today's number is and then they'll make a decision.

CTMEZGER 09:48 AM 07-23-2014
@kateaton
Hi Katieaton!
I have been looking for posts regarding pregnancy and thyroid issues, and found yours! Im currently 9w6d pregnant with baby number 3. I have a 2 1/2 year old, and an 11mo old, so my pregnancies have been pretty back to back. After my first son, my thyroid went all wack-a-doodle on me (hypER). My primary care physician referred me to a endo who did a million tests. I was put on a bata blocker (atenolol) and sent for more tests. I found a Chaga Mushroom Extract as a natural way to go about things, and that worked for my symptoms but wasn't fixing the issue. Not too long after I started the extract I found out I was pregnant with #2 ..
I planned on seeing a midwife but she felt that the pregnancy was too.. High Risk.. for her and her practice so I went to an OB who worked with a Perinatologist. Ran MORE test for updated info and talked PTU and a different bata blocker. I wanted to wait, something just didn't seem right. I felt like my body was doing fine. My symptoms kind of subside. The following month (at this time I was into my second tri) I went in for more blood work. Once that came back in, It was like my body autocorrected itself. My levels were within "normal" ?? I couldn't believe it!

(Fast Forward)

The pregnancy, labor & delivery went great and It was at my 6 week post-pardum visit when they did blood work to check my thyroid and sure enough.. they were all crazy.

BACK to the endocrinologist for more tests. Iodine, BIOPSY!, Bloodwork. The endo said in the end of it all, I needed to take my thyroid out completely, and asap! I was so scared... This was huge! I didn't want to be on medication the rest of my life. I didn't want to remove my thyroid..
So I was told of a Chiropractor who does Applied Kinesiology by my cousin. She suggested taking Standard Process's Thyrophin PMG, and SP's Trace Minerals +B12. We waited two months before doing bloodwork and when I got it back I couldn't believe it! My T3 level which had been 403.5 ng/dL went down to 2.0 ng/mL (converted its around 200) HALF! It had gone down by HALF! FT3 went from 13.12 to 7.9 my TSH is still not really on the scales (<0.005) But I felt AMAZING. Having two kids you need energy and I finally could play and not get winded or need a nap.

The month after I found out the results of my bloodwork I found out I was PREGNANT! I had mixed feeling.. I was excited, of course! Its a baby! But scared because my thyroid levels hadn't gone down to a comfortable level. So this puts us at where I am today. Im waiting to get my results from blood taken last Monday.

Im looking into things to take while pregnant that can help. I think I might go back on the Thytrophin PMG since that was helping, my only concern is theres not much data on the effects from Thytrophin on pregnant women/ unborn babies. Did you friend have any adverse reactions to her or her baby while taking it?
kateaton's Avatar kateaton 04:31 AM 07-24-2014
Hi,

I'm a little confused with what you're asking. I have no experience with Thytrophin. I am still being monitored for my thyroid, but it's more of a minor issue- it's a bit sluggish. It's been kept at a healthy level by taking 1/2 grain of nature-throid (a purer version of armour). I am being monitored by a naturopath. I would suggest you see one, they could give you advice on that supplement or other natural methods to treat this. It sounds like your issue is severe though. I don't really know anything about Grave's. I don't even have any antibodies.

I wish you a healthy pregnancy!
1  2

Up