Anyone nursing or weaning a toddler while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 yo son night weaned about a week before I found out I'm pregnant and he's been very boob-focused ever since.  I would really like him to wean completely but I want it to be as gentle as possible.  Anyone else going through this?

#2 of 9 Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 PM

Here's a similar post that may have what you're looking for. smile.gif http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395125/nursing-through-pregnancy-and-tandem-nursing

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#3 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 07:17 PM

I'm nursing my 21 month old and working on teaching her "mommy said no right now." or "mommy doesn't feel good" (because seriously, sometimes right now I don't feel like I'm physically/nutritionally capable of providing her breastmilk) and after the first trimester we will be night weaning. I don't want to take it away and then miscarry and not have it as a night time tool.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

#4 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Its been 5 days since my almost 2 year old last nursed. It was only once at bedtime. But she hasn't asked for numnums. I am grateful for this -because I am almost 13 weeks along with our 3rd child and very tired all the time. I wasn't expecting to have such fullness if you know what I mean. I've read crushed cabbage leaves helps relieve the milk and dry up... has anyone tried this? Were there any issues with milk supply when new baby came along?
#5 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i'm nursing my 20 month old DD, and i have no plans of weaning her any time soon, but the thought crosses my mind. certainly no shortage of milk, luckily.

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), 9 months pregnant with DD 2 , planning another homebirth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#6 of 9 Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 AM

I nursed through my last pregnancy and then tandem nursed for a year. It was really hard and if I'm really honest, I never want to do that again. My 2 1/2 year old weaned around the beginning of this pregnancy. It was mostly self led, with a little bit of direction from me. He still will occasionally ask to nurse, and I have let him try a time or two but he doesn't remember how so he just sits there with my boob in his mouth. It's kind of weird, but it really does help him calm down if he's in such a fit of fury that nothing else is working.
#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
what part did you find difficult?
is there something you suggest to prevent some of those difficulties?
Our 29 months old DS2 still nurses around once a day. Skips some days if I am working a lot.
I am 31 weeks now, so I think he will be still nursing when baby is here...
#8 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM

If he's not nursing all the time it may not be difficult for you. My daughter would have gladly given up solid food to nurse exclusively at that point, lol. There was just such a huge toll on my body and my emotions. I had a newborn who required tons of care and attention (as newborns do) but it was like my 2 year old also wanted that same amount, and she would want to nurse nearly as frequently as he did. Not everyone has this experience though, so I wouldn't worry.
#9 of 9 Old 08-18-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks delicate_sunshine!

we will see how it goes I guess.
I suspect he would want to nurse every time the baby would....
any ideas how to prevent that?

DH stays home for the first month or so, so he will distract and be the main person parenting him.
But once he is back to work, I will be with Ds2 and baby at home until 5 pm....not sure how it will work. He doesn't nap every day.
I don'T mind nursing him 2 to 3 times in 24 hours, but I think I will resent nursing him more than that, when I am taking care of a newborn.

Maybe I will have to really learn to nurse in a carrier, so DS2 doesn't even realize that baby is nursing. I was never really able to do it with both my kids, because I have big saggy boobs, so their mouths are too high compared to the nipples, and I still need to hold the breast, otherwise it hurts.
any ideas?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page