Swollen feet today! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well I really haven't been inspecting my feet enough to know if they have been swollen for days or not, but this week I'm on stay-cation to try to get a few things done and organized in the baby's room/around the house.

I've been doing a lot no doubt and up/down step ladder but today it was the hottest its been while I was painting two walls in baby's room and I was sweating and tired almost immediately.  It was actually a frustrating cranky day too many things not going well and finally around 2pm I put my feet up on my desk and watched some Netflix. This is when I noticed that whoa! My feet are swollen! The left more so on the outside than the right! I got nervous but kept them elevated and took my pulse and all were fine. 

Could this just be the heat and all the time on my feet plus a couple of salty meals?

Otherwise how/when do you know if things are too swollen or something is (as my hubs likes to say) amiss in old Mississippi?

Im guessing since I felt fine otherwise, just tired legs from all the work and extra weight I'm carrying around now, salt, water retention etc. was just that. Not anything like preclampsia. My friend scared me and said, if the swelling doesn't go down overnight you must go the ER!  Well jeez! I didn't feel horrible in any other way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Drink lots more water too! The heat makes me swell big time! Plus you are doing lots and on your feet.

Swelling is definitely something to watch but not necessarily panic city if you have an idea what's causing it. Drink some water, put your feet up and tackle chores when it's a bit cooler.

Also if you press down and it "leaves" an indent rather than comes back right away, that's generally more worrisome. No Dr here... Just trying to help. But definitely always call you Dr or Nurse and go in if you are worried.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

crickets - your swelling is normal. 

The large, heavy uterus puts pressure on the vessels that typically return fluids to your heart.  Because of this, some of the fluid in your legs (when you're on your feet a lot) doesn't quite make it uphill and ends up settling in your feet/ankles and lower legs.  This is called dependent edema.  Edema is the medical word for swelling.

Yes, salty food can have a hand in it as well, but mainly bc there's more fluid to deal with since the body is retaining extra water in order to dilute the sodium. 

As for the pitting vs. non-pitting edema, pitting edema is totally normal in pregnancy as well.  I think delighted may be referring to the severity of the pitting as being worrisome.  If your pitting/indent is less than a coin's depth that's pretty normal, but if it's deeper than that you prob want to get checked just to be on the safe side.

The fix for the swelling?  Putting your feet up.  Dietary changes (less sodium and/or more water) can help your fluid balance but if you're going to be on your feet a bunch chances are the weight of the uterus will still cause some retention in your lower extremities.  Another option would be to wear compression stockings but those are no picnic.  I'd vote for frequent breaks with your feet up!

#4 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was having a really hard time with swelling. My doc says its the heat. It would be better in the mornings, but never all the way gone. So uncomfortable! I got in a pool and stayed in for about two hours. The swelling went away and has not come back...yet. I am sure it will return. Try soaking in a cool bathtub if you can't find a pool. 

Never a bad idea to call your doctor if you are worried about anything. 

#5 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

No swollen feet here, but lately when I squat down I feel a tightness in the skin of my legs, as though there entirety of my leg is a bit swollen.  I'm guessing it's similar.

#6 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Swollen feet forced me to buy new shoes recently. And same night my ipad pregnancy app notified me: soon your feet might become one size bigger, be ready to buy new shoes! So, I figured out, it 'something typical.
#7 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find that sitting on a hard chair for too long makes my feet swell up. It feels weird, kind of itchy and tingly, especially if it's bad enough that my toes start to swell. I lie on the bed with my legs up the wall and do some foot/ankle rotations, and that seems to help a lot. Luckily all of my summer sandals will still fit, since I have very narrow feet normally.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#8 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have noticed that my feet are swelling too but it was recently made worse by eating pastrami- high in salt- which took me awhile to realize.
#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Mine are swelling due to heat! UGH I hate heat. I love the sun and the nice weather. But I hate heat. If I could have it a nice cool sunny day year round? I'd be hap-hap-happy!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page