Rh negative and rhogram during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rh negative and rhogram during pregnancy

Last pregnancy I made this decision with my midwife and this time I am on my own. What are you doing about it? Will you be getting the shot at 28 weeks. Also was trying to find statistics on the exact risk of not getting the shot at 28 weeks. Will be getting the one after birth.
#2 of 7 Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DH and I are both positive blood types, so I'm not terribly informed on the subject, but I thought you had to get the shot after your firstborn if you and DH have opposite types? What did you decide to do last time? Why are you considering other options this time?
#3 of 7 Old 06-01-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember having one in the hosp. after my first son, 12 yrs ago. I also had one after an mc, this past november. I'm Oneg and hubs is Opos, so I *think* I'll need another, but I won't be doing it until after birth. I'll probably ask my midwife about it on saturday when I see her, but will pass when they offer it at the OB's during pregnancy. This should be fun, I had an apt friday at the OB's and of course I see their nurses/ assistants before actually seeing my OB, and I was asked if I'd done the glucose tolerance test yet.... LOL, I told her NO and I wouldn't be doing it either... the look of horror on her face was priceless! My Ob is, fortunately is cool with my minimalistic approach to my prenatal care and she didn't see a problem with me refusing it.
#4 of 7 Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well with my first I got two, with my second I only got the one after birth. I have been reading a lot and looking at advice in the UK cause I like their medical advice it seems not as pushy about intervention. Anyway from what I read that if the mother didn't plan on having any more children it was okay that it really shouldn't affect this child just my next and since this my last I think I am going to skip the prenatal one. Will still get the one after birth just incase but don't see a point in getting the prenatal one. Going to ask the doctor when I see him tomorow just to see what he says. There was some stuff I read that said it might be advisable to get an extra blood draw to check stuff which I might do.
#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As far as I can see, the only reason to maybe get the 28 week one is amniocentesis. Seems like having one of those can cause the exposure...but unless you had one of those, I would skip the prenatal one too. I would definitely get the postpartum shot though, because never say never!
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there any potential harm in getting one?
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like these clinical practice guidelines for canadian obstetricians. It is based on eveidence rather then expert opinion.
this reviews your question and presents evidence:
http://sogc.org/guidelines/preventio...oimmunization/

it seems like getting a shot at 28 weeks is beneficial.

yes, it will not do anything for this pregnancy....it is to prevent problems next pregnancy.
I must admit that I know a 25y.o. who's mom didn't get the shot when pregnant with her older sister......and she is severely handicapped.
If I was Rh-, I would take the 28 weeks shot....but it is more emotional than rational of course.
for more research based decision, review the link I pasted here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page