Baby NAMES!!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

4Likes

#91 of 214 Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommashakespere View Post

We got a look, but the doctor wasn't sure, and and the tech just walked in and glanced. I'm not sold on it, but I have my actual anatomy scan tomorrow, so I'll be certain, I hope!!

Here's the shot, in the middle, next to our son and daughter. I feel like it could go either way. lol

oh, cool pics! are they hanging in your house or something? Evelyn's cute-what about Willow? you like?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 214 Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So I didn't want to start a new thread about names. Has anyone actually *PICKED* their baby's name yet? Everyone keeps asking and we are even really talking about it yet. Am I alone? People seem REALLY annoyed that we have no names.

Single Mama to E 2009 section ~ L 2011 HBAC ~ G 2014 HBAC
EBF-ERF-BLW-BBWI-CBE-COSLEEPING
PERINATAL DOULA
CONTRACEPTIVE COUNSELOR
LLLI PEER COUNSELOR
#93 of 214 Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
People can suck it. We are not there either.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#94 of 214 Old 05-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Yeah, people ask me all the time. I've tried to get DH to weigh in on names, but he's not really into it. Even if I had a name, though, I wouldn't want to share it with people in real life. I want to be able to change my mind after she's born if needed smile.gif
#95 of 214 Old 05-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a name!  But only because it's a variation of a name that has lasted through 3 boys and this is our first and only girl.  Lilliana Marie.  Lily for my grandmother who passed away almost 6 years ago and Marie (Mary) for my grandmother who passed away last month.  Plus my husband is hispanic and his family can actually say Lilliana vs when we named our middle son Jaden.

Jess homeschool.gif mom to 3 boys (ages 13, 9, & 6) and expecting a stork-girl.gif
#96 of 214 Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
People haven't asked *at all*! My mom and friend both asked today if we knew gender yet? (No) and MIL apparently asked DH if baby was kicking up a storm (don't know what he told her)... But no one will ask. Well they might but I would be very surprised if they asked before they knew gender. If we do ever finally find out gender and we do reveal it to them then they may...? But I think we made it pretty clear last time that we would NOT be revealing names until babe was born. Too many opinions when we did during the first pregnancy.

I did mention to a friend how I was having a crazy hard time with girls names this time. I have two boys names and middles and second middles picked out and DH likes them. But girls?! Nada. I have one girls name I like but the mean (and cute) nicknames are what's stopping me and DH...

Mom to three amazing girls 9, 6 and New!

Come check out MDC's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#97 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've never told anyone other than my husband what names we're thinking of, and we don't ever pick until after birth. We both go in knowing that there's really only one obvious choice because we hadn't agreed on any others, but even between us we hadn't officially decided. I wouldn't tell anyone anyway, just because I don't really care to have anyone else weigh in on it. If it's a done deal, then too bad if they don't like it because it's already been chosen. I don't want to doubt myself. If anyone asks I just say we won't decide until after birth.

I'm a nickname hater! The kids in my dad's side all joined forces and got our aunts/uncles/grandparents to quit calling us by our nicknames when we were still in elementary school. Kathryn and Daniel were my closest cousins and hated being Katie and Danny, and my sister and I got a lot of Meggy and Shannie for Megan and Shannon. I deliberately chose names that don't lend themselves to nicknames. My inlaws love nicknames and tried to call my daughter Cici (she's Ciara, thankyouverymuch!) but I was very vocal on that one. They do her initials instead (CB) sometimes but mostly they're stuck with her actual name. My son is Killian and unless you don't like him, Kill is a pretty terrible nickname, and KB doesn't roll off the tongue easily either, though they try. 

#98 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OMG people ask this NON stop! 

We have narrowed it down but jeez! We still have 4 mos people! 

Last night my husbands family had a name-brainstorming sesh at the dinner table all in good fun. We ended up all laughing about some of the silly names the kids came up with;

Sledge Hammer

; (semi colon) a symbol instead of a name, like PRINCE! Said my brother in law's little one.

...and on and on.  There were some cute ones too and we shared a couple we're thinking of. But seriously, people ask this ALL the time.

#99 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Tell them all that it's going to be Sledge Hammer and you don't need any comments about it because it's the only name you could agree on. ;-) I love when someone knows their baby's name ahead of birth but I wouldn't ever expect it or ask them what it's going to be. I group that in with classified personal info...income, sex life, baby name...all the same kind of deal, in my book. Noneyabiznizz!

#100 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM

Ha! Noneyabiznizz! Love it!

#101 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Well I'm glad to find you all feel similarly to me! I have an app on my phone that tells me how far along I am because otherwise l forget. It comes with a DDC. I hardly ever browse it because it's very much NMS. It seems like every other post is about names and what they picked and what so you think of these 3. It just seems strange to me.

Single Mama to E 2009 section ~ L 2011 HBAC ~ G 2014 HBAC
EBF-ERF-BLW-BBWI-CBE-COSLEEPING
PERINATAL DOULA
CONTRACEPTIVE COUNSELOR
LLLI PEER COUNSELOR
#102 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we don't tell either until the baby is here... we have it narrowed down to 2 choices (Whitley Laurel or Laurel Whitley) and I refuse to even tell people what the choices are. I just say, "We need to see this baby before we decide, so no hints until it is final!" We hide behind indecisiveness. Haha!

With our last bio baby we liked both Cora and Laurel. When I'd tell people the two choices they'd always choose Laurel (that is happening this time too) and several people made it clear they didn't like Cora as an option. She ended up being Cora and to us it was a perfect fit... so it was kind of awkward with a few family members who didn't favor that name. So this time we are not telling either option. We figure it a baby is name "whatever" then there isn't much choice but to think of them as that name... and not an alternative... 

Mama to an amazing crew of 6!

cd

#103 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

We feel exactly the same.  We do not tell anyone irl the name, not even our kids.  We do decide on a name ahead of time.  We just seem to get a strong feeling that the name is right- each time it has been perfect.  

With dd1 and dd2 we told their names ahead of time and we got all kinds of unwanted comments and input- it was very frustrating.  We decided never again.  We also like having the suspense of something big to announce when the baby is born, since we find out the gender and do share that information with others.

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12, ds 9/14, and #5 due April 2016!
#104 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

My family was throwing out name suggestions until I got annoyed and told them it wasn't their decision. They haven't mentioned it since.

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014

#105 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 04:22 PM

WOW, I'm amazed that people feel they have the right to give their negative opinions on a name!! WTF is that all about!?!?!??!    I've heard PLENTY of names I didn't personally like and the ONLY thing you say is a NICE comment about those, otherwise you're just an a****le!!! lol, but again, thats just MY opinion.... We haven't decided yet here either, and my dh just keeps throwing things into the air, like Marcus, and Andrew (expecting boy #2), neither of which I feel are bad names, but are way too traditional for my personal tastes...My mom asked today if we'd picked out a name, I told her that we had a list and were most likely going to wait until after the babe got here to see what fit... she didnt' ask and I didn't offer THE LIST.....lol... BUt after naming my first son, who is named after my brother who passed when we were teens, and I had "called" the name WAY before my other siblings had kids and WAY WAY before my son was even conceived, I don't think my mom would give me any gruff about ANY name I/we chose ;-) Holy run on sentence!   Altho she DID suggest that the baby be a daddy jr. type name..... just not my taste...The name will probably go out on the birth announcements! lol..

p.s. LOVE the Whitley Laurel, name!!! I don't believe I've heard that before, it's got a 1920's kinda ring to it, I LIKE IT!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#106 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM

I know. We never said the name we're loving as people will undoubtably insert their opinions. We both just looked at each other and winked. We let them play it out for fun.

Here are some others sweetest D (age 9) wrote down: (I crack up at Soup-cake Samuel!!) LOL

#107 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM

crickets, WHOS list is this!?!?! That's ADORABLE!  My 12yr ds calls this babe "puppy" because after the first ultrasound, I told him we had GREAT NEWS, we weren't having a baby, we were having a PUPPY!!!!....lol... so he kinda ran with it! My dh, OTOH keeps calling him BOB. NO, just NO.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#108 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Ha, thanks daniellebluetoo!  This is my husbands niece and nephew! This was last nights dinner topic for Mother's day! Hilarious! I plan to frame and hang in baby's room!

#109 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our favorite cat just got hit by a car and killed on Friday.  Would it be weird to name our first born after that sweet, soft puddy?  Her name was Trixie.

#110 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat.  I wouldn't make my mind up right away about the name though.  Keep it in mind, but maybe something else will inspire you.  Up until I was about 38 years old, I thought I was middle-named after my grandmother's mean chiwauwa.  I think it really did affect me in a bad way.  But it was mean.  My mom told me later that she made that up and that Susan was a favorite name of hers.  I still hate it honestly.  My parents love to tease.  Needless to say, I hate it.  Love your dreads by the way!

#111 of 214 Old 05-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh thanks...yeah I don't want to give our child a complex.  I named our cat Trixie as sort of a joke, but then I ended up loving her so much that I liked the name after all.  Those dreads look great on you too!

#112 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 AM

CorrineVT! My neices name is Beatrix Roze and she chose to go by Trixie! She's adorable! 

She would (at age 4) introduce herself to other kids "Hi! My name is Beatrix Roze but you can call me Trixie!" 

I can't think of her by any other name now. She's the cutest thing ever. But then I'm biased. 

I myself call her Trixleplix. She giggles every time.

My vote - yes to Trixie!

#113 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM

I don't think it's silly at all! I like Trixie- it's also a nickname for Teresa. Jerry Garcia's daughter is named that and goes by Trixie, so it's definitely a people name too!

#114 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Beatrice could work too for a Trixie... I really love the name Beatrice!

cd

#115 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post

Beatrice could work too for a Trixie... I really love the name Beatrice!

If we have a girl, her first name will be Beatrice after my husbands grandmother who is currently 93, but we'll call her Bea . . . I'm secretly hoping for a girl because I just love that name

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#116 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

B.eatrix with the NN T.rixie is one of the few girls names I've been digging this time around. 

I guess if you are a diehard Potter fan then you could always use Bellatrix :duck

Mom to three amazing girls 9, 6 and New!

Come check out MDC's

#117 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

EEEEE! I finally have a favorite boy name!!! Cormac...and it's the first one I threw out to DH and even though he initially said no I can tell it grew on him when he saw it written. I don't know if he'll end up going for it but maybe if I don't supply any others in the meanwhile....;-) Not that I have any other contenders anyway. I did throw out Collins, which is my grandma's maiden name. My dad was really close to his Grandpa Collins so I thought it would be nice, and I love Collin but it's very common so the "s" helps a little. Not my favorite but my husband isn't one to go far from the beaten path, so I thought he might like it...I like it okay. 

He took Cormac better than I expected, anyway! I LOVED Cassidy for a girl and he totally nixed it, absolutely and completely. He hated it. Even when I played the song for him (I'm a Deadhead,) he hated it with a passion. It was such a huge bummer to me, but names are so entirely subjective that there's no way to make him happy with it. I was expecting that with Cormac, and it wasn't nearly as "oh heeeeyyyyyylllllllll no" so I'm kind of excited!!

I have no clue what it would go with for a middle name. We've had middle names easy- my middle is after my grandma, and his name is his grandpa's. We decided with #1 that a girl would get Kathleen and a boy would get Adam, and then we had one of each so it wasn't even a debate. Has anyone used a middle name twice for different kids? I'm almost leaning to it being George Foreman Syndrome, but...

Cormac Adam (after DH and his grandfather)

Cormac Frank (DH grandfather)

Cormac Robert (my grandpa)

Cormac Kenneth (my grandpa)

Cormac Patrick (DH's middle, but after he suggested it he kind of took it back. I don't think he likes it very much.)

I'm not sure either of us wants to use our dad's names. We could just pick something new, I guess. I don't feel very strongly on boy middles.

#118 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! That is super exciting!

cd

#119 of 214 Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 PM

I love the name Adam.  My son has it for a middle name.  We couldn't think of anything for a while and then we looked out our window and Mt. Adams  is right there and then BAM! it all made sense.  We also lived on Adams Loop Rd, but for some reason, staring out at them mountain was what it took to think of it.  Very earthy name for a very earthy kid.

#120 of 214 Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Ok so I'll share here - we're not telling anyone else but we have a couple names we do really like:

Hudson Michael or Calix (sounds like K-lix) Michael

Michael was my dads first name so to honor him we are using that no matter what as middle. 

I love Hudson and I really like Calix.

Awww Adam is a really solid and strong name, really like it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page