Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   September 2014 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17541-september-2014-due-date-club/)
-   -   Baby NAMES!!! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17541-september-2014-due-date-club/1416601-baby-names.html)

Marcimama 01-15-2014 02:49 PM

Honestly, I might be accused of having another baby JUST to use a name I love... :joy

But, really I DO love picking out baby names! 

 

I have a few lists on my blog... might not be your thing, but thought I'd share! Check out the African List... it has some fun ones!

 

Unique Baby Boy Names (Christian/Jewish origins)

Unique Baby Girl Names (Christian/Jewish origins)

Unused Name List

Baby Names with an African Flair

 

My current issue is there are too many I like!

I have a short list already made up... it only has 15 or so names for each gender! Also, we have never been able to pick until we see them...

 

Anyone know for certain what they will be naming their little one??? 


Ambivalent Dreams 01-16-2014 06:46 AM

Oh man, I am just the opposite! I hate choosing names! It is so hard! I told DH I wished this baby would come with a cabbage patch certificate with the name already printed on it. I will definitely want to check in on this thread to see if I can get some good idea. Right now we have 1 maybe and we don't know if it would be middle or first - it is Rose. DH likes Ariel too. I'll consider it but I'm about to start working with an Ariel so it might get ruined. Not that I think she is a bad person at all, I just like names I don't associate with anyone unless we are specifically naming after that person. My kids are Arwen Gayle and Jonas Briar.

kateaton 01-16-2014 07:20 AM

I LOVE baby names.  Marci, I'm like you... I want to have lots of babies so I can use all the names I love.

 

I already have Madeline Grace, Ainsley Rose and Genevieve Camille

 

I don't talk to anyone IRL about names, except dh so I'm excited to talk about them here.

 

If this is a girl I think our first choice is Ingrid Constance (Constance is my mother and mil's name and my mother passed 2 years ago, so we're definitely using that as a middle name)  I really like the name Evelyn, but it seems to be really popular these days.  I really like to pick names that are not in the top 100.  There are so many other Madelines out there and that bugs me.

 

I also like Hazel and Mallory for girls.

 

If this is a boy I think our first choice is Abbott William.  I really love the name Grady, but dh isn't as keen.  But if we got the twin boys that I've been praying for then I think it would be Abbott and Grady, but I don't know.  Boys names are definitely harder.


Marcimama 01-16-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalent Dreams View Post

Oh man, I am just the opposite! I hate choosing names! It is so hard! I told DH I wished this baby would come with a cabbage patch certificate with the name already printed on it. I will definitely want to check in on this thread to see if I can get some good idea. Right now we have 1 maybe and we don't know if it would be middle or first - it is Rose. DH likes Ariel too. I'll consider it but I'm about to start working with an Ariel so it might get ruined. Not that I think she is a bad person at all, I just like names I don't associate with anyone unless we are specifically naming after that person. My kids are Arwen Gayle and Jonas Briar.

 

For not liking picking something your other kids names are lovely! I have always liked Jonas a lot! 

Rose is really lovely. It has stood the test of time... and who doesn't love a Rose?


Marcimama 01-16-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

I LOVE baby names.  Marci, I'm like you... I want to have lots of babies so I can use all the names I love.

 

I already have Madeline Grace, Ainsley Rose and Genevieve Camille

 

I don't talk to anyone IRL about names, except dh so I'm excited to talk about them here.

 

If this is a girl I think our first choice is Ingrid Constance (Constance is my mother and mil's name and my mother passed 2 years ago, so we're definitely using that as a middle name)  I really like the name Evelyn, but it seems to be really popular these days.  I really like to pick names that are not in the top 100.  There are so many other Madelines out there and that bugs me.

 

I also like Hazel and Mallory for girls.

 

If this is a boy I think our first choice is Abbott William.  I really love the name Grady, but dh isn't as keen.  But if we got the twin boys that I've been praying for then I think it would be Abbott and Grady, but I don't know.  Boys names are definitely harder.

 

Those are all great choices! I LOVE Abbott, what a unique name...  And I agree, boys names are harder.


Marcimama 01-16-2014 10:03 AM

Hmmm...

We have a short girls list and a loooong boys...

Our other children are Adelynn "Addie", Isaiah Allan, Elias, Cora, and Thea Agnes 

 

Girls: 

Whitley Gail or Laurel Whitely (also like the spelling Laurelle but wonder if it would be confusing for others???)

We both really like Whitley and would probably pick it for sure if we knew gender was a girl. I also like the middle name McCay (a family name). But I think Whitley McCay Last Name sounds like she has 3 last names... which is a bit sterile in my opinion.

 

 

Boys:

Solomon, Enoch, Obed, Timothy (but call him Timo "Tee-mo" after my husband), Moses, Bennett, Haddon, Inno, or Jethro

Probably with the middle name Craig, Ira or John

 

I am really preferring Solomon Craig (family name), if only I can convince my husband of it!

 

If we have twin boys:

Solomon Craig and Timothy (Timo) Ira

 

Boy/Girl Twins:

Whitley and Solomon

 

Girl/Girl:

Whitley and Laurel


kateaton 01-16-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post
 

Hmmm...

We have a short girls list and a loooong boys...

Our other children are Adelynn "Addie", Isaiah Allan, Elias, Cora, and Thea Agnes 

 

Girls: 

Whitley Gail or Laurel Whitely (also like the spelling Laurelle but wonder if it would be confusing for others???)

We both really like Whitley and would probably pick it for sure if we knew gender was a girl. I also like the middle name McCay (a family name). But I think Whitley McCay Last Name sounds like she has 3 last names... which is a bit sterile in my opinion.

 

 

Boys:

Solomon, Enoch, Obed, Timothy (but call him Timo "Tee-mo" after my husband), Moses, Bennett, Haddon, Inno, or Jethro

Probably with the middle name Craig, Ira or John

 

I am really preferring Solomon Craig (family name), if only I can convince my husband of it!

 

If we have twin boys:

Solomon Craig and Timothy (Timo) Ira

 

Boy/Girl Twins:

Whitley and Solomon

 

Girl/Girl:

Whitley and Laurel

I love Whitley- very unique!  And Laurel is lovely too.

 

The meaning of Abbott is father/priest or spiritual leader... I love that!

 

If we had girl/boy twins I guess it would be Ingrid and Abbott

 

G/G twins (which would give dh a heart attack, putting our total at 5 girls) would be Ingrid and Evelyn (maybe, I'm not believing that we'll get 2 girls).  But we'd be grateful no matter what!


Motivated Mama 01-16-2014 10:44 AM

My mother's name was Evelyn and she had it legally changed to Lyn when she changed back to her maiden name. I like Evie, but it is popular now and I wouldn't do that to my mother wink1.gif Ariel is pretty too, but my mother's first baby was Aerial and she died during heart surgery at 3 days old greensad.gif

My kids now: Lexi Elizabeth, Carter Michael, Scarlett Rayne (Rayne or Raynebow to us), and Katherine Belle (Katie or Katie Belle)

I really like the name Christian for a boy, but it's a no-go, mainly because we're agnostic. That doesn't matter to me, but DH can't get past it. We've considered Xavier and there's not much else that my husband has thrown out there that I like (Randall, Rolan). I'm really hoping for a boy, so we've got a lot of work to do on that front.

For girls names, I really liked Charlize, but a really good friend of mine just named her boy Charlie. So far, I like Calinda Rose. DH doesn't like Rose.

Motivated Mama 01-16-2014 10:48 AM

My current children's names mean: Defender of men, oath of God / Humble cart driver / Red queen / Pure Beauty Can you tell I didn't think about meanings until later on? My poor boy. lol.gif

Marcimama 02-05-2014 10:43 AM

Bumping... is there anyway to combine the two Name Threads???


goingonfour 02-05-2014 04:36 PM

oops, didn't mean to start a duplicate. Sorry!


camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:10 PM

Genevieve Camille was on my list :) we still love it, but I think we are going with Natalia Cate or Natalia Catherine

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post
 

 

Those are all great choices! I LOVE Abbott, what a unique name...  And I agree, boys names are harder.


camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:11 PM

 

sorry...I thought I had picked a different person to respond to LOL

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerahappymom View Post
 

camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:13 PM

 

Adalyn was on my list, too!!!! Adelyn Cate

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

I love Whitley- very unique!  And Laurel is lovely too.

 

The meaning of Abbott is father/priest or spiritual leader... I love that!

 

If we had girl/boy twins I guess it would be Ingrid and Abbott

 

G/G twins (which would give dh a heart attack, putting our total at 5 girls) would be Ingrid and Evelyn (maybe, I'm not believing that we'll get 2 girls).  But we'd be grateful no matter what!


camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:17 PM

 I just had to mention that alot of your kids have Christian names :) Elizabeth, Michael, and Katherine are all Christian names.  and so is Xavier if you are considering it. All these people martyred themselves for Christ, they are saints.  do you know what your baby is yet??

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

My mother's name was Evelyn and she had it legally changed to Lyn when she changed back to her maiden name. I like Evie, but it is popular now and I wouldn't do that to my mother wink1.gif Ariel is pretty too, but my mother's first baby was Aerial and she died during heart surgery at 3 days old greensad.gif

My kids now: Lexi Elizabeth, Carter Michael, Scarlett Rayne (Rayne or Raynebow to us), and Katherine Belle (Katie or Katie Belle)

I really like the name Christian for a boy, but it's a no-go, mainly because we're agnostic. That doesn't matter to me, but DH can't get past it. We've considered Xavier and there's not much else that my husband has thrown out there that I like (Randall, Rolan). I'm really hoping for a boy, so we've got a lot of work to do on that front.

For girls names, I really liked Charlize, but a really good friend of mine just named her boy Charlie. So far, I like Calinda Rose. DH doesn't like Rose.

camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:19 PM

are you guys Catholic?? most of your names seen very Christian to me. We are orthodox. Elias is a popular name in our church, but I prefer Elijah. Elijah is on my list so I can be a little different :) but our girl name is Natalia Catherine. Trying to figure out how to get the Theotoko's name in there..we may go with a 3 word name :) Like Natalia Catherine Mary or Marie.. etc

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

I love Whitley- very unique!  And Laurel is lovely too.

 

The meaning of Abbott is father/priest or spiritual leader... I love that!

 

If we had girl/boy twins I guess it would be Ingrid and Abbott

 

G/G twins (which would give dh a heart attack, putting our total at 5 girls) would be Ingrid and Evelyn (maybe, I'm not believing that we'll get 2 girls).  But we'd be grateful no matter what!


camerahappymom 03-07-2014 05:30 PM

genevieve camille was on my list!!! as well as Geneva. I love that name!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

I LOVE baby names.  Marci, I'm like you... I want to have lots of babies so I can use all the names I love.

 

I already have Madeline Grace, Ainsley Rose and Genevieve Camille

 

I don't talk to anyone IRL about names, except dh so I'm excited to talk about them here.

 

If this is a girl I think our first choice is Ingrid Constance (Constance is my mother and mil's name and my mother passed 2 years ago, so we're definitely using that as a middle name)  I really like the name Evelyn, but it seems to be really popular these days.  I really like to pick names that are not in the top 100.  There are so many other Madelines out there and that bugs me.

 

I also like Hazel and Mallory for girls.

 

If this is a boy I think our first choice is Abbott William.  I really love the name Grady, but dh isn't as keen.  But if we got the twin boys that I've been praying for then I think it would be Abbott and Grady, but I don't know.  Boys names are definitely harder.


kateaton 03-08-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerahappymom View Post
 

no, we're not catholic, but protestant (non-denomination)


camerahappymom 03-08-2014 05:25 AM

ok LOL.. I wondered because of the name Abbott :) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

I love Whitley- very unique!  And Laurel is lovely too.

 

The meaning of Abbott is father/priest or spiritual leader... I love that!

 

If we had girl/boy twins I guess it would be Ingrid and Abbott

 

G/G twins (which would give dh a heart attack, putting our total at 5 girls) would be Ingrid and Evelyn (maybe, I'm not believing that we'll get 2 girls).  But we'd be grateful no matter what!


Marcimama 03-08-2014 07:55 AM

I have a friend who is orthodox too (they just moved to our town to plant a church, her husband is a priest), they have a Miriam and a Moses ... can't remember their other two kids names... Camera Happy.

I've alway like the name Camille and that is a pretty combo!

kateaton 03-08-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerahappymom View Post
 

We just really love the name and the overall meaning of 'spiritual leader' is a name that we'd love to give a child.


camerahappymom 03-08-2014 09:25 AM

we had chosen Reno for our son because it's my husband's middle name.. it means ruler with counsel..and then Benoit (BEN-WAH a family name) and it means blessed :)  I am all about the meaning of the name, too :)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateaton View Post
 

We just really love the name and the overall meaning of 'spiritual leader' is a name that we'd love to give a child.


camerahappymom 03-08-2014 09:27 AM

 

I love Miriam! and wanted to name this baby that..but hubby says no. His  name is Moses (his real name is Marc, but he took Moses on when we became orthodox) 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post

I have a friend who is orthodox too (they just moved to our town to plant a church, her husband is a priest), they have a Miriam and a Moses ... can't remember their other two kids names... Camera Happy.

I've alway like the name Camille and that is a pretty combo!

Marcimama 03-08-2014 09:52 AM

Benoit is a really nice name! I like that. Bennett has always been on our list too.

Motivated Mama 03-11-2014 04:45 PM

I do like a lot of Hebrew and "traditional" names despite being agnostic. DH is even warming up a bit to Christian. We don't know the genders yet and won't find out for another 5 weeks.

delightedbutterfly 03-11-2014 05:06 PM

So happy to see you back around @Motivated Mama! I've been wondering what you are up to and how you are doing!

We haven't even started talking names yet. I think DH is of the opinion to just wait until we know the gender so we can eliminate the other sex. I of course think we should have a back up just in case lol

He's also "called" naming this one and that will happen over my dead body... Sorry I go through all this work, we decide together! Although he says I've always picked in the past I just don't see that as true lol.gif he's always had equal vote. Maybe a bit less so with DD1 but we weren't married and I didn't think that he should automatically get his last name for the baby. So we "compromised" (at least it felt that way to me) after a couple tense weeks of barely talking!

CorinneVT 03-11-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Mama View Post

I do like a lot of Hebrew and "traditional" names despite being agnostic. DH is even warming up a bit to Christian. We don't know the genders yet and won't find out for another 5 weeks.

I like these sort of names as well.  DH keeps asking why I always choose biblical names...there's classic!  I recently suggested Emmanuel, but that reminds him of Christmas.  

 

My number one pick for a boy is Merryweather, but that has been vetoed by DH, so I am trying to think of more boy names.  


daniellebluetoo 03-12-2014 07:11 PM

Theodore
Morgan
Indigo, Indy for short
Everette
Xavier
Eliot
Ezra

Jedi

 

I'm having a boy and so far that is my list :twothumbs   altho i think I might have stolen Indigo hide.gif

 

My Dh keeps saying he wants to name the baby, Bob. Not gonna happen!

My DS doesn't like the name Xavier, because he thinks the baby will be picked on in school due to the X-men movie. AND wants to give the baby his middle name, Benjamin.

I wouldn't mind any of these, but none REALLY speak to me. It was SO different with my first, I KNEW he was a boy right off the bat, and he would be given my brothers name but middle and first switched around.


Island Momma 03-12-2014 08:32 PM

I am clueless on names as well.  Had a few girl names I liked but know we won't need them now.  Looking at boys names online, nothing is speaking to us either.  I love seeing others lists, lots we hadn't thought of.  


goingonfour 03-12-2014 08:33 PM

Hey, if Indigo gets taken, you could always switch to Inigo... "My name is Inigo Montoya...":rotflmao Immortal words from The Princess Bride. Hey, why not?

Just having fun, no harm meant! And please don't think I'm laughing at your name choices. I just saw Indigo and at first misread it as "Inigo" and immediately thought of that.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 7.14%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.