Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mommy2ciara

#1 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Small for dates?

Anyone have the experience of measuring small? I had my midwife appointment today (I'm 26 weeks) and I'm measuring 22cm. She said I really didn't grow much since the last appointment 4 weeks ago (maybe 1 cm?). We scheduled an u/s to check baby's growth but just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
#2 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I always measure big, no experience with small

Hopefully it's just baby hiding out compactly and you get in for your US quickly!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try not to worry

I just measured today at 24 cm and I am 27.5 weeks.

Sometimes it can just be how your baby is laying in your body.
#4 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just measured today at 24 cm and I am 27.5 weeks.
Were they concerned at all? She said that if it's only 2 cm or even 3 off she wouldn't bat an eye, but I think because it was the combination of it being 4 cm (and actually the midwife assistant measured first and measured at 21cm so it could be even 5 cm) off and the fact that I barely grew at all since last week was what drew some concern. She was very laid back about it and told me not to worry. She gave me the option of an u/s to check for growth or just keeping track of my food intake (she kept asking, "Are you sure you're eating enough?") but I think I'm eating fine so I'd feel better just going with the u/s. I am pretty sure the baby is transverse (it was at the last u/s and has been at all my appointments) and I read that that can cause a smaller measurement so I'm not super worried, but will be glad to get the u/s done.
#5 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My DS had a cord/placenta issue so they were on top of his growth like white on rice, and he always measured small both with fundal height and extra small by ultrasound right up to the end. His last ultrasound at the end of 37 weeks pegged him at shy of 5 pounds, and if I remember correctly his fundal height then was right around 30. He was 7lbs 14oz when he was born at 38. Moral of my story is that neither measurement is foolproof and don't let it stress you out! I hope the ultrasound shows him at just the right size, but don't lose sleep over it.
#6 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Also think about all those moms who never show and *surprise* find out late in pregnancy or in labour!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#7 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hope all is well with your little one. Just another thought if you baby is laying transverse it can affect fundal height a lot. Mine has been laying transverse until just this last week and not that it is more vertical my fh has jumped a few centimeters. I am very interested to hear the outcome of the ultrasound.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#8 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just to illustrate, last night I took a pic and I look 8 months pg, had for 2 days. it was shocking. Over the night I felt her move transverse, and this morning I look like I did a week ago.
#9 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, baby is definitely transverse so that could be a factor. I think all of mine were though for awhile and I didn't measure small though but this one could be more so or just more constantly that way. I'm eager to see what the u/s says too. I figure I won't worry too much unless they show that he is small too and then I'll try to figure out why that might be. It's funny the timing of this all though because whenever I go to my appointments, I never have any questions. By the 4th child, I don't have much more to ask about, lol! But I actually planned to bring up at this appointment that I feel smaller than I have and wanted to ask if she could try to determine if I have enough amniotic fluid and was measuring OK, etc. So it's sort of ironic that I planned to bring it up anyway and they discovered it themselves. I guess I'll just see what happens with the u/s. A good thing - I can get another peak at baby and this time I'm going to ask if I can see the boy parts since I've been feeling not so sure about them telling us it was a boy. Maybe it'll make it more real if I actually SEE them. So that's good!
#10 of 10 Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post
Were they concerned at all? She said that if it's only 2 cm or even 3 off she wouldn't bat an eye, but I think because it was the combination of it being 4 cm (and actually the midwife assistant measured first and measured at 21cm so it could be even 5 cm) off and the fact that I barely grew at all since last week was what drew some concern. She was very laid back about it and told me not to worry. She gave me the option of an u/s to check for growth or just keeping track of my food intake (she kept asking, "Are you sure you're eating enough?") but I think I'm eating fine so I'd feel better just going with the u/s. I am pretty sure the baby is transverse (it was at the last u/s and has been at all my appointments) and I read that that can cause a smaller measurement so I'm not super worried, but will be glad to get the u/s done.
They showed no concern, she stated that she felt it was likely the way the baby was laying inside me, transverse. I measured right on 4 weeks ago though, so I do not have the exact situation as you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page