1Likes
  • 1 Post By Springshowers

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any canadian mamma's out there?? Important question

Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian citizen who's been living abroad for several years now. My partner is Israeli and last year I made the temporary move to come and live with him. We're in our seventh month now and the political climate here is really tense...we have bomb alarms daily and not sure how things will progress...and it's so close to the real tragic harm and damage that's going on in Gaza and southern Israel.

I'm thinking of going to be with my family in Canada and, given the time, staying there for the birth.

I don't have health coverage (I'm ontarian, so it's OHIP) and it says on the websites it takes 3 months to get. Also says I have to go in person to apply. I'm planning on a homebirth with midwife if possible.

Any advice for me, if this is potentially doable, and, if not, how much a homebirth with midwife costs???

Thanks so much!

Ashley
#2 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have no idea but you might also try posting here... http://www.mothering.com/forum/17440-ontario/
#3 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
This could be great news for you:

What does it cost to use a midwife?

Midwifery services are completely funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, so women do not pay for care out-of-pocket. Women who are not currently covered by OHIP can still receive free midwifery care.

http://www.ontariomidwives.ca/midwife/q-a

Coming home is a great idea if you will be more comfortable here. Keep in mind some airlines won't allow you to fly in your last month.

I used a midwife here and it was a great experience. If you needed to go to a hospital though you would be paying $$$.

Many midwives fill up early, but I bet your situation would be taken into account and you would find someone to help.
fruitfulmomma likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Hi!

I cannot answer most of your question (also from Ontario) but midwives do fill up early. If you want one, you need to get on a list or waitlist sooner rather than later.

Can you get here at least 3 months ahead of time? Paying for the hospital would be a nightmare and something to avoid if you can.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi:
I am also from Ontario and my last birth was home birth.
in theory, you need to have your OHIP card to be covered for midwife fees, but they often can still be paid by the ministry even if you are still waiting for your card. One of midwives mandate is to help vulnerable populations.

even if you had to pay (which is unlikely), homebirth with a midwife is the cheapest possible option.
if you end-up with an OB for emergency c-section or just birth that needed transfer, you can arrange payments later. Most OBs are flexible, some are OK not being paid at all.
The hospital fees are more complicated, because it is a ''system'' fee, you can not negotiate with anyone, but you can arrange monthly payments after birth.

the easiest option: get here 3 months before birth ( I guess it is too late now!).
Contact a midwife from your parents town as soon as possible and talk with her. She will know what to do.
most likely, you will pay nothing.
you can also buy a travel insurance that covers the first 3 months before you get you OHIP card.
it really depends on the chances of transfer to hospital births.
OH, and by the way, you can't travel past 36 weeks, so you have to get here at least a month before due date.

good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - as an Ontario midwife I can comment.

Midwifery care is covered for residents of Ontario. One must be living and planning to continue to live in Ontario to be covered, and you sign a declaration of this. It does take 3 full months after one applies for OHIP to be covered. In addition to midwife fees, there are often lab and ultrasound costs, and costs for the hospital and physicians if you need one. You can assume about 1200-2000 a day for a hospital bed, and about 1500-3000 for physician fees depending on what kind of help you might need in an emergency situation. Newborns are given OHIP if the parents are staying in Canada as residents.

I would contradict the above statement: most physicians are not flexible about payment in my opinion. Many want cash - and will negotiate hard for that unless it is an emergency. The hospitals are equally as aggressive, but will often work out a payment plan.

Travel insurance will not cover birth.

I have cared for a lot of uninsured moms. It's a really hard go :-( Medical tourism is becoming a hot topic politically and so physicians and hospitals are being stringent in their policies around people coming to Ontario to birth and then leaving. I totally feel for you - what a tough situation you are in. Best wishes in having a safe and happy birth and little one.
#7 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks carolynnmarilynn!

I am a physician myself, but not an obstetrician, and I won't charge when people can't pay.
I don't feel confortable charging anyone in general.
I am an emergency physician, so it is a bit different I guess.

I have 2 friends that gave birth before they got their OHIP. In one case, the OB waved the charge, and the other time agreed for multiple small payments. They where both very low income families, so I guess it plays.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page