Our Baby Name...Spelling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our Baby Name...Spelling?

Hey there Mama's
So We have settled on a name...but I am just not sure about spelling. We love the name Soleil -meaning Sun in French which is a tribute to my incredible Father-in-Law who is "Sonny"

However...I sort of want to change the spelling to Solay so it is easier for people to pronounce when they see it. It is not a common name, and this spelling seems far less common as well.

any thoughts? thanks
#2 of 9 Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's a tough one. I would want to keep the true spelling, but the phonetic spelling definitely helps pronunciation in the US, because my
first thought is to say "so-LEEL." but with the popularity of
Cirque du Soleil, people may be more familiar with it (or will at least have heard the word).
#3 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(You might try posting this question in the baby girl name forum in Nameberry if you want more opinions! They're pretty active boards.)
#4 of 9 Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I like the traditional spelling, however I am Canadian and did have french language classes growing up

People butcher every name. Even easy ones. Go with what you really love and most people will deal

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#5 of 9 Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Name nerd dropping in to comment, even though I'm not part of your DDC. (Sorry!)

I would definitely not change the spelling of a "word name" (even a non-English one) to make it easier to pronounce. I think lots of people in the US are familiar with the correct pronunciation of Soleil (as PP pointed out, there's Cirque du Soleil to point to if people don't recognize it). In any case, I would rather occasionally have to tell people how to pronounce the real word/name that really means sun, than have to explain to others "well, it's from the french word 'soleil' and it's to honor a Sonny, but we thought we should spell it phonetically."

Soleil is a beautiful name, you shouldn't be afraid to use it as is!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#6 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree, go with Soleil. I always think about the potential variations that may be used to make fun of the child...Solay, So Lame...I can't think of anything for Soleil.
#7 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
#8 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's Soleil Moon Frye too! Who could forget Punky Brewster? And think of names like Siobhan or shoot, even Sean. Keep the french spelling. It looks so beautiful, too.

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#9 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM

What a gorgeous name! I agree to keep the French spelling. Soleil looks SO elegant on paper.

My daughter's name is Eliette - also French, and for some reason VERY hard for people to pronounce. At least once a day I say, "You know, like Juliette, but Ellie."

And spelling? You can forget it. Elliette, Eliotte, Eliot, Elliott, I've seen it all! I had no idea this name was so tough for people.

It certainly would be easier if we named our kids Elizabeth or Sarah, but I love that our daughters' names are unique, feminine, and larger than our immediate cultural surroundings. I say go for it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page