Mothering Forum banner

oh jeebus, the HEARTBURN....

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  boater 
#1 ·
I've NEVER had heart burn, well, maybe once or twice, but as a usual occurrence after I eat. Never. Until THIS pregnancy that is. It started at the end of my 2nd tri and has stubbornly held on. I try to avoid the triggers, but honestly, there are SO many. I'll even wake up in the middle of the night with it! So, thank fully, I've found that altoids are helpful and I'll pop one in my mouth and try to go back to bed. My question is, for anyone else who's dealt with pregnancy heartburn, did it go away after you delivered? If so, when?

#2 ·
yes, did go away.

in my 3 pregnancies, stopping coffee made a huge difference. I didn't realize at first, because heart burn never happened after my morning coffee, but rather evening or waking me up several times at night. And I only had 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning.
I stopped the coffee one day for other reasons, and heart burn stopped. I couldn't believe it! I tried it again, heart burn came back.
and it caused heartburn in every pregnancy, and it was all resolved when I stopped the coffee.

#5 ·
yes, did go away.
in my 3 pregnancies, stopping coffee made a huge difference.
Nope, not the coffee, not even caffeine from tea, I hardly ever drink either of those now, I WISH it was something that simple! I'm glad you foudn it worked for you tho, I can imagine what a relief that was!

I get it pretty bad, to the point of vomiting, during the last trimester. Yes, it has always gone away. Usually immediately, although last time seemed to take longer than the previous pregnancies, not sure why.

Digestive Ease for Pregnancy from Wishgarden has helped me a lot.
Oh, that's awful! Thanks for the rec. I'll look into that product ASAP!

I would always take tums and that helped but this time my midwife suggested papaya enzymes and they are helping a lot!
Hmmm, I vaguely remember something about TUMS and calcium and it NOT being a god thing... The papaya enzyme tho, that could be helpful! Did you take it LIKE tums, after you already had it, or as a preventative with food?

I'm having a hard time with food in general lately, NOTHING seems appetizing, and I can't eat very much of anything before I feel stuffed to the eye balls.I've resorted to (mostly) raw cheese, yogurt and fruits... not the best diet at this point, I know, but those greens and meats I'm SUPPOSED to be eating right now, are about as appealing to me as dryer lint.

Thanks for all the replies ladies! I really didn't know this was SUCH a common thing and am glad to hear others got relief after birth!

#6 ·
Yeah, definitely feeling heartburn more now. Even drinking water will trigger it at this point. I had it with all three, though. In the past, I've tamed it with a teaspoon of ACV mixed with a little water in a shot glass. This time, I've been using Tums for convenience, but sometimes ACV. They both work for me!

#7 ·
I've had it to varying degrees with each of my pregnancies and have tried all the remedies. The absolute best thing I have found is to mix a little bit of baking soda into a glass of water and take a few gulps. After a few minutes, you will have a gloriously big burp that burns just a bit, like you can feel all the acid rising up and leaving you. And then it's gone. It's truly amazing.

#8 ·
I think TUMS can be bad in large quantities. I took them more regularly in my last pregnancy but the papaya has done the trick this time. I take them usually just when I'm feeling the heartburn, which is usually just at night and therefore after a meal but I think you can or are supposed to take them with a meal.

#9 ·
I had it really bad last time. This time I still get it, sometimes very badly, but here's what helps: separating liquids from solids whenever possible, ie. drink water in between meals but not during. And most important eat an early and not too big dinner and then nothing else before lying down for the night. Also not over eating helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.