Breech Baby... And I'm a Little Scared - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Breech Baby... And I'm a Little Scared

So, baby has been head down and everything has been great until about a week ago when I got stung on the belly by a wasp. I didn't think much about it, but kept an ice pack on the sting to help with the itching and swelling. Well, guess what. Baby didn't like the ice and decided to try to run away from it. I feel ridiculous for not even having it cross my mind that that could happen. So, now baby is breech and seems pretty comfortable that way. I've been doing inversions and breech tilts, and ice (to hopefully get him/her to move again, lol) but the most I seem to be able to do is get baby to turn transverse and then back to breech. We were planning a sort-of unassisted birth. I was going to have a couple of friends with me, one is an apprentice midwife and one is an np - but they were both coming as friends who just happen to have medical training. But now, hubby is uncomfortable with the idea of doing it ourselves. I'm not sure what I am. I just want baby to turn. I'm feeling so scared and frustrated right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe try the ice again only up top and find a chiropractor that can do the Webster technique. You could also start looking for a breech experienced midwife if you wanted to pursue home birth. Best wishes for a head down baby.
#3 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I saw my regular chiro today (he doesn't do webster) but he did do some adjustments that hopefully helped. I'm looking for another chiro to help me out, but I'm in a pretty rural area and having a little trouble. None of the midwives in my state will do breech. It's illegal here. It's basically c-section or freebirth.
#4 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
When are you due? My edd is august 29th and baby was breech until 2 weeks ago. He is still moving around but was head down at my appointment yesterday. I bet you still have time for yours to get into a good place.

Peppermint essential oil might help. You would need a carrier oil like coconut or something so it doesn't burn the skin, but your are supposed to be able to rub it in a rainbow shape across the top of the belly to encourage baby to move. They don't like the smell of it I guess. (I felt my last baby move away from it when I was handling some and accidentally got it on my belly. )
#5 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm due the 13th. I'm going to try the peppermint oil thing right now. Fingers crossed.
#6 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM

I feel your pain a bit we are in a state that is restrictive too. I am using an illegal midwife and have to drive an hour for the chiropractor. Being rural you probably won't but do you have access to a 3d ultrasound place? It might be worth it to confirm breech position. I had to use one a few weeks ago as we were certain baby was breech but baby was head down and very posterior. We had many signs of breech even midwife was thinking it might be. I really hope baby turns for you!
#7 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my doctor was on vacation last week, so the replacing doctor examined me and thought baby was breach. I didn't agree.
I use an ultrasound machine at work, so I just checked, and I was right, she was not breach.
all my kids where posterior, and midwives and OBs often thought they where breach, but it was never the case.
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

There are some ultrasound places within easy travelling distance, but I honestly don't know if we could swing the cost. I'm hopefully going to the doctor next week for my GBS test (after they signed off on my homebirth, they refused to see me anymore for "insurance reasons" but I called and begged and they said they will talk it over and call me back on Monday; they have always been good about seeing me before whenever I called. This is so frustrating.) Anyway, if I go, I am going to ask for an anatomy scan, which they wouldn't do in the 20s weeks b/c of the insurance thing. I feel like if I can just get past the stupid front desk and talk to the doctor, things will be better. He's a great doctor and really supportive of homebirth and midwives, so I think he'll be helpful.
#9 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 PM

The front desk people and nurses are always the worst. I have found, like you, the doctor is usually much more understanding. I can't wait to hear about your visit and hope you get what you want out of it. It amazes me that as the consumer and payer of the bill they tell you what you can and can't do. It's like they don't realize they are being employed by the consumer not the other way around.
#10 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 AM

You could try being hands and knees or on a tilted ironing board, then playing nice music right at your pelvic bone-- they like to hear the music. I've seen some oblique babies turn right into the music.

On FB is a group called Coalition for Breech Birth, that is a great group for support, too.

I also have unattended births (usually have long-distance midwife I can call if needed), and I was recently struggling with this fear ... but just came to a place of peace about it. It's a process though and not the same conclusions for everyone.
#11 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, they still refused to see me. The doctor said there was too much liability. I don't get it. I would think there would be more liability for me being able to say "I tried to check on this, they wouldn't see me and now my baby is sick." Sigh. Whatever. I *think* the baby has turned now though. And even if s/he hasn't, I feel okay with birthing breech. I've done what I can do. I don't want to do much more b/c if baby HAS turned then I don't want to encourage him to turn around again, lol. Anyway, I'm feeling really at peace about this. I know I'm doing my best and will give my baby the birth s/he needs to be born... whatever that entails.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page