Mothering Forum banner

Hazel is here!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  delicate_sunshine 
#1 ·
Baby #3 is here! Hazel Evergreen was born today at 2:19. She's 8 lbs 11 oz, 19 1/4 inches and she did a great job being born :)

Due date came and went on Friday. Contractions started at 11 pm on Sunday. By midnight I was in the bathtub, and it seemed like things were still going along steadily, but with some good rest breaks in between.

Around 1, I decided it was time to go to the hospital, but I was still managing the waves pretty well, trying to surrender to them and work with them. I felt like that helped with my son's birth last time, and he was born in under 3 hours.

Still, just from the way I was acting —not moaning or anything, still had my wits about me — I figured I was in for a few more hours. So I thought to myself, if I'm less than 5 cm, maybe I'm just gonna get an epidural this time, and try something new ;)

The car ride was OK and thankfully short. I stopped for a contraction on the walk to the door. Signed all the papers I had already signed at preregistration (!!) gave them my insurance and ID. They made me get in a wheelchair even though I wanted to walk, so I sat up on my knees facing the driver :) I couldn't sit down, too uncomfortable!

Got to the delivery room and thought, ugh, did I make a mistake coming here? It was so medical, and I was missing my bathtub and the comforts of home. They said they had to check me, but I said I needed to use the restroom first. They didn't like that I hung around on the toilet for a couple contractions, but I needed to wait for a break so I could pee!

Got myself over to the bed for the check. The nurse paused then said, "Do you feel like pushing? I think you're at 10 cm." I didn't feel like pushing, but it was such a relief to hear I was almost done!

They hooked me up to IV antibiotics for GBS+. I pushed back a little, but decided not to make it a big deal since I knew I would only get a few minutes' worth anyway (but I felt like they should have also known that I wouldn't get enough to make a difference, so why bother?)

They called the doctor and she checked me again (not fun) and said the head was right there, just give two pushes. Actually, it was more like 5 or 6 pretty tough pushes, but I powered through and baby girl was born! She cried straight away and they put her on my chest.

I completely forgot to ask for delayed clamping in the moment, so that's a bummer. But she's had perfect breathing and good color, so I'm happy with that.

Placenta came out super easily and quickly. The doctor went in to get a bit of retained tissue, and that wasn't as hard as I expected. And for the first time, I didn't tear! Sooo nice not to have stitches.

All in all, it was a really smooth birth. So, so thankful.

The only thing now is that I have to stay here for 48 hours so they can monitor the baby, but she hasn't left my chest for more than a few minutes. They've been very baby friendly overall.

I'm glad to have had a redemptive hospital experience after my unpleasant hospital birth with my first. But I think if there is a number 4, I will spend the money to stay home with a midwife. And I'd do better prep to make sure I'm GBS negative. I'm definitely missing my bed right now! :)

Lots of love to all you mommas! For those still waiting, may you have beautiful births! xo

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.