Mothering Forum banner

Anyone getting first trimester u/s

1K views 87 replies 28 participants last post by  Knittedmama 
#1 ·
I know some of you have had one and some won't. For me it's worth it for the peace of mind. Knowing location of baby, seeing the heartbeat, seeing my dates match up. I have an appointment this Thurs. I'll be 7w4d.

#3 ·
I wasn't gonna go to the doctor at all but decided to get a scan at 10 weeks for my peace of mind. I had a missed miscarriage last year and my body gave no no outer signs that anything was wrong...and then a regular miscarriage after that. I think I would enjoy this pregnancy so much more if I could have the reassurance of knowing a heart was beating away in there. Just hope I can wait 3 more weeks for the scan..

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSoul View Post

I wasn't gonna go to the doctor at all but decided to get a scan at 10 weeks for my peace of mind. I had a missed miscarriage last year and my body gave no no outer signs that anything was wrong...and then a regular miscarriage after that. I think I would enjoy this pregnancy so much more if I could have the reassurance of knowing a heart was beating away in there. Just hope I can wait 3 more weeks for the scan..
Oh wow, so you had a missed miscarriage? Pregnancy symptoms were still present? I'm sorry for your losses. I've only had one pregnancy (my son), never a miscarriage, but I know how common they are. That is why I'm getting an u/s. I wanna see that heartbeat!

Thanks for sharing.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMoon View Post

Oh wow, so you had a missed miscarriage? Pregnancy symptoms were still present? I'm sorry for your losses. I've only had one pregnancy (my son), never a miscarriage, but I know how common they are. That is why I'm getting an u/s. I wanna see that heartbeat!

Thanks for sharing.
I knew intuitively from the beginning something was "off" with that pregnancy...I never had any bleeding and even though I had the classic symptoms I just never FELT pregnant...I didn't feel it on the inside. Then I went for my 11 week scan and found out the baby had stopped growing at 8.2 weeks. I was devastated because even though I knew something wasn't right...I still wanted to believe everything would be okay, especially because my first pregnancy (which yielded my son) was so perfect.. It took us 7 months to conceive again after the MMC and that pregnancy ended at 6.5 weeks (blighted ovum).

So anyway...I FEEL a lot better about this current pregnancy...it feels very similar to how I felt with my son. Intuitively I believe I'm gonna have a baby in August. I have a lot more symptoms too then I did with the last two and just "feel" pregnant. But Im going to be kind to myself and get an ultrasound for peace of mind. <3

I CAN'T FRIGGEN WAIT! lol.

#6 ·
I have also wavered about getting ultrasounds, but we will get the first one at the OB-- and ask them to make it snappy! :)

Seeing everything in place will be a great comfort. Our appointment is next Tuesday.

In other news, we decided on a midwife today after our final interview! We are so excited and hopeful for a very normal pregnancy and healthy home birth.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSoul View Post

I knew intuitively from the beginning something was "off" with that pregnancy...I never had any bleeding and even though I had the classic symptoms I just never FELT pregnant...I didn't feel it on the inside. Then I went for my 11 week scan and found out the baby had stopped growing at 8.2 weeks. I was devastated because even though I knew something wasn't right...I still wanted to believe everything would be okay, especially because my first pregnancy (which yielded my son) was so perfect.. It took us 7 months to conceive again after the MMC and that pregnancy ended at 6.5 weeks (blighted ovum).

So anyway...I FEEL a lot better about this current pregnancy...it feels very similar to how I felt with my son. Intuitively I believe I'm gonna have a baby in August. I have a lot more symptoms too then I did with the last two and just "feel" pregnant. But Im going to be kind to myself and get an ultrasound for peace of mind. <3

I CAN'T FRIGGEN WAIT! lol.
^^^me either! for you!!!

i won't do an ultrasound at all during pregnancy if i can help it. but get so excited for other people!!! my first pregnancy i didn't want ultrasounds, and i had one at 21 weeks to confirm dates (they did actually let me move the dates closer to what i thought vs. their original based on LMP) but then had another for 'possible breech', and another at the end to measure amniotic fluid and confirm position AGAIN. i kinda got ultrasounded out. w/ my 2nd i also wanted to avoid them, but ended up doing a 14 week to confirm dates (i measure big) and then another for possible breech.

so by the time i hit my 3rd pregnancy, i just wanted to avoid them.

3 weeks sounds like FOREVER!

:energy

#8 ·
I originally didn't want any. Now I'm waivering. I turned down the one they wanted to do this week (I'm only 6wks tomorrow). I've heard of too many times where people went in for a US before 6 weeks and they couldn't find anything yet. Sounds like undue stress. I'm thinking I'll do a 20 wk and then maaaaaaaybe one at my first (and hopefully last) OB appt. (if all is good I'll be transferring to a midwife).

#11 ·
None for us with this pregnancy unless medically necessary. Zero with DS1 and 5 with DD1 (subchorionic hemorrhage with major bleeding - scary)! I'm hoping to not even do a Doppler this time unless it's during labor.
smile.gif

Reactions: lactatinggirl
#12 ·
I canceled my 6 wk4days one they offered and I'm going to cancel the 8 week one they seem to want to force on me. I think we will skip the nt scan and do only the anatomy scan around 19 weeks and that's it. I'd like to avoid heart dopplering as we'll but will probably allow it once just to rule out a miscarriage.

#13 ·
Yes. Given my age and previous mmc, I'm doing full work-ups. First is this next Weds which might be around 9ish weeks for dating and viability. Will be doing NT as well. This was a surprise, and our family is not in any position to support a serious birth defect so we need full information.

#14 ·
I'm going in for mine tomorrow. It feels like the night before Christmas!

I completely understand not getting an u/s. I'd like to be a person who skips it but there is something reassuring about seeing it for me. I've never have had a m/c (this is only my 2nd pregnancy). I work in women's health and sometimes I overthink, knowing so many different outcomes, most of which are healthy and normal but i still stress.

I'll be back with the results tomorrow. Good night!

#16 ·
I will be having a first trimester ultrasound to make sure baby is in the right place and everything is going well. I just had my iud removed today.

#17 ·
Absolutely!

My appt is next Thursday (7w 4d). I've only been preggo once before and I had a mc the weekend before my scheduled u/s. At 40yo, I wouldn't mind some visual reassurance. Having a medical background (critical care), I would find it very hard to turn down any additional data like that...

I will also have the NIPT at 10 weeks and I look forward to finding out the sex ASAP. That type of info will go a long way toward calming my husband who is a regular nervous nelly!

#18 ·
The results of my u/s were kinnda surprising. Baby measured at 6w1d. I thought i was 7w4d. The Dr thought he could see cardiac activity but wasn't sure. So either baby stopped growing or i ovulated really late and got a pos preg test very early on. I'm trying to stay calm. My partner is very supportive, which helps. I had blood drawn to check hcg level and will re-check in a week. Also another u/s on the 20th.

This isn't the reassurance i was looking for but it is what it is.

#19 ·
Oh no, being in limbo is the WORST. I feel for you. I'm sorry the ultrasound did not go as expected but glad you are staying calm. It's so early in your pregnancy that it could just be a late ovulation. Also the fact that the doctor suspected he saw cardiac activity is very positive. Hang in there mama. <3

#20 ·
I didn't have any ultrasounds with my second daughter (didn't know better on my first, had three for pretty much no reason). I would have avoided this time too if it wasn't for the bleeding. On December 23rd I was 5w6d and we saw a strong heartbeat. After seeing that, I was able to actually connect with this baby. So I think this time it was worth it. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudlenka View Post

Yes. Given my age and previous mmc, I'm doing full work-ups. First is this next Weds which might be around 9ish weeks for dating and viability. Will be doing NT as well. This was a surprise, and our family is not in any position to support a serious birth defect so we need full information.
Just keep in mind that there are high false positive rates for birth defects on ultrasounds. That's one of the things that made me decide not to get one. Honestly, I don't think I could handle major birth defects, I'm just not that person. But the high chance of false positive plus the high chance of false negative made me decide there was no point. If that makes sense.

#21 ·
Quote:

The results of my u/s were kinnda surprising. Baby measured at 6w1d. I thought i was 7w4d. The Dr thought he could see cardiac activity but wasn't sure. So either baby stopped growing or i ovulated really late and got a pos preg test very early on. I'm trying to stay calm. My partner is very supportive, which helps. I had blood drawn to check hcg level and will re-check in a week. Also another u/s on the 20th.

This isn't the reassurance i was looking for but it is what it is.
When I was 7w5d with my daughter I went in and the U/s measured 6w 6d, with a heart beat! But I knew exactly when I had conceived and if I had gone by their dates, that means I got a positive pregnancy test the day after I conceived which is IMPOSSIBLE, so I went in and talked to my midwife and told her this and she said to stick with my original dates and to keep my NT u/s scheduled for 11w2d(MY calculations) and when I went in for my NT she measured 11w3d and is now 28 months old, so she either just started out slow or the lady with the wand was an idiot. And it caused me so much stress! That's why I cancelled my early U/S this time because it is so scary just waiting like that. Try to take it easy, and just wait until the next U/S before you think the worst!

#22 ·
OtherSoul: Thanks for you kind words. Being in limbo is annoying, but I'll just move forward, and take good care of myself. Most likely all is well. You are so very sweet.

I know early u/s, or any u/s for that matter can cause unnecessary worry. I'm a midwife and NEVER recommend routine early u/s. I guess I want to think I have control and this is teaching me I don't. I don't get to know exactly what is going on. I have to (god forbid, lol) trust in the process, whatever direction this goes. I spoke to a midwife friend of mine and she was very sweet and clairfying. She said we don't REALLY know how long it takes an egg to implant or how fast babies grow, we have an idea but there is no way it is exact science. I don't have bleeding or cramps, I do have mild pregnancy symptoms. From that perspective all is fine. I've got to wait and see.

#23 ·
Quote:

OtherSoul: Thanks for you kind words. Being in limbo is annoying, but I'll just move forward, and take good care of myself. Most likely all is well. You are so very sweet.

I know early u/s, or any u/s for that matter can cause unnecessary worry. I'm a midwife and NEVER recommend routine early u/s. I guess I want to think I have control and this is teaching me I don't. I don't get to know exactly what is going on. I have to (god forbid, lol) trust in the process, whatever direction this goes. I spoke to a midwife friend of mine and she was very sweet and clairfying. She said we don't REALLY know how long it takes an egg to implant or how fast babies grow, we have an idea but there is no way it is exact science. I don't have bleeding or cramps, I do have mild pregnancy symptoms. From that perspective all is fine. I've got to wait and see.
wowsers- got on to say BLESSINGS!!!

i'm also just facing the 'trust in the process' part of this pregnancy and it's harder than ever before!!!!

i was worried last night that i've got a missed miscarriage and should get checked- but then thought of all the negative scenarios i've ever had from u/s and medical oversight. vs. my pee on a stick and trust the process method of my last 3 pregnancies. w/ all of those, i ended up giving birth about 10 months later. but all i had was a positive pregnancy test to go on, and rolled w/ it. WHY IS IT SO HARD SOMETIMES?!

:Hug
and keep us posted! you're so strong, it's really inspiring.

#24 ·
We're combining the NT with the new bloodwork screenings; together their sensitivity and specificity are pretty good at determining level of risk to help us decide if it's worth the risk of CVS. My husband has very serious health issues (like wks in the icu this summer and year-round meds), and isn't expected to hit 60 with me. Given that, I know I don't have the wherewithal to handle significant medical/rehab needs for another being, esp one that would need full time care through adulthood. So I am fully interventionist at this point in pregnancy, I'm afraid: I need as much knowledge as I can garner to protect my family. Come birthday time, though, and my approach to my care changes 180: no internals, "effaced" means nothing until it's time, no swabs, don't touch me, don't you dare "stir the pot", I'll labor however I damned please ....
smile.gif

Reactions: aprilh
#26 ·
We had a quickie ultrasound yesterday to see that the fetus is in the right spot and everything looked okay.

It was a huge relief to see what looked like a little fallen-over snowman, with its tiny heart blinking away.

Thar's a little baby in there!

!!!

So far so good, ladies.

Today we met with our midwife for the first time, and boy, what different worlds they are! I already trust and love my midwife, and look forward to growing our relationship over the months ahead. The OB? Well, I'm using her for concurrent care because insurance covers all the tests and what-not. She's okay, but damn it felt nice to be truly heard and kindly spoken with today with the midwife vs rushed around to wait for 2.5 hours yesterday at the OB.

Hope you're all doing well!

Reactions: JENinOR
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.