Weight Gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By friederike

#1 of 14 Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had an appointment with my midwife today, I'm 28 weeks. I have gained 27 pounds so far... 20 of them in the last 8 weeks. My midwife expressed her concern for the big jumps in weight, and recommended I watch my diet and try to walk at least 5 days a week. (She was very kind about it). My diet isn't terrible, although I am LOVING sweets and carbs, which is probably the culprit. I've been walking a couple times a week, and doing strength stuff (squats, planks, etc) randomly when I feel like it. I hate exercise and I love sugar. 

I'm wondering if any experienced moms have been "weight-gainers" in past pregnancies, and if you chose to freak out about it or not/if you changed your ways.

What really sucks is that I was feeling really good about everything, and was happy with the way I looked, and now I feel paranoid and guilty. Guess what I want to do when I feel that way? You got it: EAT DONUTS AND COOKIES! LOL I'm also worrying about my glucose screening that I took today, which prior to weighing myself I wasn't concerned about at all. (results on monday)

Another thing that blows my mind... where in the hell is that 27 pounds?! I can still fit into some of my pre-preg skinny jeans (without buttoning, of course). When I told hubs that the official number was 27 he thought I was making a joke. So crazy!

#2 of 14 Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gained 40 with my 2 previous pregnancies. Gaining less with this one, but exercising more. In the last week or so I've gained a bit more- I think with the heat I'm bloating more.
#3 of 14 Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have gained at least 40 lbs with my last three pregnancies and am on track for about the same.  I am even eating mostly paleo/grain free, although I've been having some chocolate.  I thought I would gain less this time being grain free, but it's pretty much the same.  So, I guess I can look forward to losing that extra weight....again.  I don't want to go overboard, but I'm kind of in the mood to say "OH WELL!"  lol!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#4 of 14 Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, ladies!

Jrose, I agree. I feel good... I think I look pretty good, so long as my GD results come back negative, I figure the next step will be, "meh, whatever."

#5 of 14 Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much... Of course walking more and watching the carbs is good advice in general, there's no reason to feel guilty or bad about yourself over 27lbs, there is no "normal" - many of my mom friends gained 40-80lbs with their pregnancies or lost weight, I can't think of any who hit the "perfect" 25-30lbs. Pregnancy does weird things to metabolism.

That scale can be intimidating, but you're IN your body and know how you feel, which IMO is the best indicator for how you're doing. As long as you're not going unhealthily overboard on food and baby is unaffected I'd relax.

Good luck on the test results smile.gif

Working Mama , married to college sweetheart | DS born 03/2005 | Early losses 05/2010, 04/2013 & 06/2013 | DD (finally!!) due 08/06/2014!
#6 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My midwives always lean on me not to gain more than fifteen (!) pounds when I'm pregnant, because I started out overweight. I've worried over it with past pregnancies, because I always gain about 30-35 pounds, but I'm refusing to stress about it this time. My glucose test was great, and I don't have a history of large babies or problematic deliveries. I think care providers are very systematic about encouraging weight gain limits for their clients, but I think that weight gained (and weight needed to be gained) is very individual. I recommend taking what your midwife has to say with a grain of salt, and definitely refusing to lose any joy or confidence in your pregnancy because of it. I went through a period at the beginning of this pregnancy where I was really trying to control my intake, etc., and I felt terrible physically. When I gave myself freedom to eat a bit more, I started feeling much better.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#7 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM

I'm not even sure how that would even be possible - I feel like I gain 15lbs in my boobs alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post

My midwives always lean on me not to gain more than fifteen (!) pounds when I'm pregnant, because I started out overweight. I've worried over it with past pregnancies, because I always gain about 30-35 pounds, but I'm refusing to stress about it this time. My glucose test was great, and I don't have a history of large babies or problematic deliveries. I think care providers are very systematic about encouraging weight gain limits for their clients, but I think that weight gained (and weight needed to be gained) is very individual. I recommend taking what your midwife has to say with a grain of salt, and definitely refusing to lose any joy or confidence in your pregnancy because of it. I went through a period at the beginning of this pregnancy where I was really trying to control my intake, etc., and I felt terrible physically. When I gave myself freedom to eat a bit more, I started feeling much better.

Working Mama , married to college sweetheart | DS born 03/2005 | Early losses 05/2010, 04/2013 & 06/2013 | DD (finally!!) due 08/06/2014!
#8 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

PrimalJoy - 15?! that's crazy talk! Thank you for your insight!

OneSerenity - LOL

After a few days of reflection, talking to my grandmother who gained 40+ with all 8 of her pregnancies, and my mother who gained 40+ with her 3, in addition to passing my glucose test... I've decided to let my body do what it's going to do!

Also reminding myself that I chose the midwife/birth center path for very specific reasons that mean a lot to me, and so if I have to tolerate their overly health consciousness, then that's an OK price to pay :)

#9 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post

My midwives always lean on me not to gain more than fifteen (!) pounds when I'm pregnant, because I started out overweight...

My doctor also told me that I should not gain more than 15-20 lbs because I started out overweight (I was probably around 20 lbs overweight). So far, my body has balanced itself out and I've gained very little weight as this baby takes all my excess. My doctor is pleased, but I'm skeptical. Does the most weight gain typically happen in the 3rd trimester? I'm expecting that to happen, especially as I've recently been craving pasta and ice cream. This is my first, so I have no idea. Most of my friends gained 30-40 lbs overall.

Deep roots are not reached by the frost - J.R.R. Tolkien
#10 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

HannyL,

I just saw your latest picture on the bump thread, and I think you look fantastic! If I were you, I wouldn't worry.

Deep roots are not reached by the frost - J.R.R. Tolkien
#11 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneserenityone View Post

I'm not even sure how that would even be possible - I feel like I gain 15lbs in my boobs alone!

That is almost word for word what I said!!! :rotflmao

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#12 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylSF View Post

My doctor also told me that I should not gain more than 15-20 lbs because I started out overweight (I was probably around 20 lbs overweight). So far, my body has balanced itself out and I've gained very little weight as this baby takes all my excess. My doctor is pleased, but I'm skeptical. Does the most weight gain typically happen in the 3rd trimester? I'm expecting that to happen, especially as I've recently been craving pasta and ice cream. This is my first, so I have no idea. Most of my friends gained 30-40 lbs overall.

I definitely gained the fastest in the last trimester with my other pregnancies. My weight gain is at 16 pounds now, but I expect the next couple of months will bring that up around 30 lbs. So you may see a bit more of a jump at the end here when baby is putting on more weight.

I wouldn't worry about a lower weight gain, either. If your health is good overall, you're feeling well, and baby is growing well, I think you're doing fine.

#13 of 14 Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first pregnancy I gained 68 lbs and I never lost it all. I did change the way I ate during that pregnancy. I wish my ob at the time would have been more sensitive and talked nicer to me about it and offered advice about healthy choices and not just been short and told me I was getting To big to fast and made me feel like a fat cow. I have never gained as much as I did my first pg but I started the rest heavier then I started my first pg. I worked really hard after my baby and lost 20 lbs but never made it to my starting weight before kids. I hope to do that this time. I mainly just try and choose healthier foods and I have to quit sweets cold turkey and go about a month with none or I crave them bad. I'm 30 weeks and have gained 6 lbs so far but again I was over weight to start and nursing my toddler. I don't diet while pg but I try to eat raw veggies and fruit. Some people naturally just gain more then others.

Sandra Mommy to Z 3/1/05, Z and Z Boy/girl twins 8/6/07, Z 8/5/09, and Z 3/23/12... Pregnant with #6 due in Aug!
#14 of 14 Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have gained 35 lbs so far. My starting weight was 140 at 5ft4. 9 of those I gained in the first two weeks when I had to take tons of IVF meds. My doctor is not concerned at all. My boobs (34 I cup from originally 34 B/C) and belly (43inches) are huge, I have gained a little bit on my thighs but overall my figure is mostly the same and I am still very active with walking, swimming and yoga. Diabetes test was very good and I feel like I am eating a very healthy, fresh, home cooked, mostly organic diet (with the exception of some B&J ice cream), so I see no reason to worry. With lots of breastfeeding and some running I'll probably be back at normal weight by christmas. For now I am more concerned about growing a healthy chubby baby than caring about my beach whale looks. I bet those weight gain charts were developed by male doctors anyway
doopamama, PrimalJoy and hannyl like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page