Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By oneserenityone
  • 1 Post By fruitfulmomma

#1 of 7 Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I gained a lot in my last pregnant, over 60 lbs. I started out this pregnancy maybe 15-20 pounds overweight already, but now at 30 weeks, I've only gained 10 lbs, is this weird? I have been trying to eat healthier, but I haven't been totally successful so I was expecting to have gained more. I also have been absolutely exhausted and not exercising as much as I wanted. My waist is now 40 inches, which seems big, right? I don't have another midwife appt for a few weeks and I feel silly calling to ask if I've gained enough. 

#2 of 7 Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, it's not weird. Everyone gains differently and often the third trimester is where the weight adds up most because baby starts gaining fat as well.

I'm 29 weeks today and still between 12-14lbs lighter than I was the day I got my positive test back in December.

There is such a thing as gaining too little, but largely this applies to women who are already underweight or not getting enough nutrients(which would be reflected in baby's size).

Unless your midwife says to worry, I wouldn't.
doopamama likes this.

Working Mama , married to college sweetheart | DS born 03/2005 | Early losses 05/2010, 04/2013 & 06/2013 | DD (finally!!) due 08/06/2014!
#3 of 7 Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Unless your fundus measurements seem off I wouldn't be overly concerned. It is possible that weight has shifted from some areas to the baby or that you initially lost some weight and your total gain was more than just the 10. Also, I think most weight gain usually happens in the last trimester because baby is going to start storing fat and gearing up for birth.

If you are still concerned at your next appointment you can always request your midwife to help you get into have an ultrasound done to check babies growth and fluid levels. And don't feel silly calling if you are really concerned, it is her job to listen to you.

doopamama likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Over on the sept ddc, we're all griping because we've gained so much! I'm 26 1/2 weeks and have gained 25 lbs...I started out a little underweight so I guess that's normal. Either way, I'm sure your midwife or doctor would let you know if they're concerned smile.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-24-2014, 07:19 PM

With my second pregnancy (where I was chasing a toddler and nursing her too) I lost about 15 lbs (without vomiting) over the first trimester and very slowly gained it back. Up until about the last month I had only gained maybe 15-20 lbs, then I started retaining water like mad and got another 15 lbs of that. I was probably about 10 lbs overweight before I got pregnant (just never lost it from my first pregnancy). 

I attribute my lack of gain to being more active (toddler!), nursing, and eating healthier. I gained probably 45-50 with my first and I'm sure it's because I ate unhealthy all the time. Like I got all my protein for Brewers, but it came from Burger King. My midwife was never concerned throughout my second pregnancy because baby was always measuring on target. 

This time around I've gained about 15 lbs (I'm 27 weeks) and I didn't really start gaining until about two months ago. WIC is finally happy (kept telling me I needed to eat more and trust me, I'm eating enough!), but my midwife again has never been worried. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I measured 31 at 29 weeks. I have not gained much weight during this pregnancy and this is my first pregnancy.
#7 of 7 Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's not weird. Like you, I started out overweight and my doctor told me I should try to not gain more than 15-20lbs total. I was also around 10lbs weight gain at week 30 and now at week 35 I think I've gained around 15. You are on track!

Deep roots are not reached by the frost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page