June Chat for Aug. DDC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 31 Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
June Chat for Aug. DDC

Anyone still around? How is the third trimester going?
#2 of 31 Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Apart from some SPD discomforts and the revival of food aversions, the third trimester so far really couldn't be smoother. I've got another 4 weeks of work and then I am eagerly awaiting maternity leave in mid-July.

I discovered the joy of being in an outdoor pool this past weekend, a weightless belly and sun on my face at the same time was so blissful I had a nearly impossible time dragging myself out (actually, I closed the place down!) - I definitely know what my main recreational activity will be this summer.

My only real complaint is that I can't seem to stop freaking myself out every time I haven't felt baby move in a while... I think she's just got a very laid back personality, she isn't nearly as flip floppy as my son was, but her heart rate has always been good, she's growing perfectly on schedule, and the last ultrasound showed plenty of fluid so there shouldn't be any cause for concern... still I get myself worked up if it's been more than an hour or two and even when she's moving I find myself obsessing over whether the movements are strong enough.

Trying to let some of that anxiety go has been difficult, and I'm not really sure where it's come from since I don't remember having it with my son at all. Hormones? Instinct? Insanity? New Mother-ness? Maybe a bit of everything all together.

We start work on the nursery next week, so hopefully I'll be able to keep my mind busy with that
#3 of 31 Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

My spd hasn't hit too bad yet. My hips do hurt if I lay flat on my back too long.

I am supposed to be doing kick counts now... not sure if it is routine now for my ob or because my last baby was induced because the last few weeks she became very quiet and we induced when she failed both bpp and nst. I know I feel a lot less during the day when I am more active and also if he is floating up because my placenta is anterior. So I am supposed to call if I have any concerns, especially if I am actively counting for a two hour period and don't get at least 10 kicks. Pretty much every time I start to wonder what he is doing, he wakes up though. Drinking some juice or eating ice cream usually wakes him up too.
#4 of 31 Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The third trimester is not very fun so far here. The varicose veins aren't as bad (which is nice!), but I'm experiencing SPD for the first time ever. Sleeping only happens on my left side or on my back half sitting up. The past few days this little one has been attempting to stretch out full length- rather painful actually. She(?) moves all day, but is fairly quiet at night so I won't complain too much.
However, the weather is warming up finally! Now I just need to find a shirt to swim in and go to the local high school pool. My older boys need to learn to swim anyway so it makes a great excuse.

Homeschooling,mom to DS1 ('02) , DS2 ('03) , and DD1 ('14) . Now living in a very cold place
#5 of 31 Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it's our mothering instincts really kicking in that makes us worry about our babies. I tell myself that it's natural to worry, as long as I don't let the stress overwhelm me.

The third trimester has been pretty good for me, overall. My baby seems to move all the time. When I do sit down and count kicks I reach 10 often before 10 minutes. It's been really interesting to feel them get bigger and become more of a baby in my mind. I know when they are sleeping, awake, have the hiccups, etc. Sometimes I almost wish they would kick a little bit less, but I know I would stress about it if they actually moved less soo..

My two biggest complaints are sleeping and being comfortable. I have to wake up so often to pee and change positions. Plus my dreams have kicked into crazy overdrive so I sometimes wake up freaked out, adrenaline pumping, which makes it hard for both me and the baby to settle down again. I've also been having a harder time staying comfortable. I can't seem to sit in any one position for too long before my back starts to ache.

My weight has been a really stressful thing for me. I have only gained about 15lbs so far (hard to know for sure because I don't know my pre-pregnancy weight) which really stresses me out. I was measuring a bit small at my last mw appointment, which really stressed me out. She reassured me that I'm still well within normal, and that she wasn't worried. However, I used to really struggle with eating and motivating myself to eat enough so I worry that I'm not eating enough for this important home stretch. I do eat pretty healthy, but sometimes I worry that I put off eating when I should be eating even more. My dh has been really supportive in helping me eat and calming my fears, but I'm still really worried about having a low birth weight baby.

Hopefully when I see my mw today she will tell me that I'm still in the healthy range, and help calm my fears.

On the bright side it's my first summer living in a town with a nice beach so I'm really looking forward to floating in the lake!
#6 of 31 Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mostly 3rd trimester is going well. I have been super tired lately. At my appointment today, my doctor said my iron is a bit low, so that may have something to do with it. I think someone recommended trying Floradix on a previous thread in the forum. I am going to try that out and see if it helps. We have an ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks to check on my marginal placenta previa. Fingers crossed that it was moved up enough!!

My husband and I took a hypnobirthing class. I have been playing the relaxation CD at night before bed and I think it has helped with getting a good night's sleep.

Luckily, the heat hasn't been too bad so far. There was only one night when I was so hot, I poured water all over my belly. But the AC window unit is in now, so I shouldn't have to do that again!
#7 of 31 Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 PM

I see I'm not the only one stressing over kick counts. The baby is fairly active, but I feel like he consistently picks one day each week to hardly move and make me freak out! In fact yesterday I called labor & delivery to talk with a nurse about his decreased movement that day. After several questions she determined that I didn't need to come in for a NST. Of course while I was on the phone with her he started to squirm, and today he's been moving a ton.

My other complaints are continued back soreness, occasional sciatica, and it's getting harder to put on pants, shoes, and socks. Oh, and yes sleep has become difficult. I have to wake up to pee 1-2 hours before my alarm goes off, I wake up from hip pain and have to switch the side I'm laying on. Rolling over in bed is a struggle enough with all the pillows and grappling with blankets. I think I may start sleeping on top of the blankets once my huge, wrap-around pregnancy pillow arrives (I finally caved and got one though bitter about spending the $$).

And lately no food seems appetizing. I seriously wish I didn't have to eat. Does anyone else feel like that?

Deep roots are not reached by the frost - J.R.R. Tolkien
#8 of 31 Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And lately no food seems appetizing. I seriously wish I didn't have to eat. Does anyone else feel like that?
Yes! The last few days I have felt totally blah about food and the few things I thought sounded good just made me nauseous and bloated.
CherylSF likes this.
#9 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM

I LOVE my pregnancy pillow! I might actually love it more than my husband. Forking over all that cash was painful, but now sleeping is not.

I'm also having a hard time finding food I want to eat. I'm still at a negative weight gain from my pre-pregnancy weight, so I know I could be doing better about eating a bit more... But it's hard to be motivated to do it when I really don't feel hungry.

I am focusing now on getting through this next week... My last really busy work week (4 assignments and one 12 hour day) before I go on maternity leave in three weeks (it feels crazy that it's so soon already!).

The SPD has been better this last week, probably a direct connection between that and how much I've been at the pool lately, even though really it was too cold on Friday I couldn't resist the weightless belly action.
doopamama and CherylSF like this.
#10 of 31 Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneserenityone View Post
I LOVE my pregnancy pillow! I might actually love it more than my husband. Forking over all that cash was painful, but now sleeping is not.
I'm so glad to hear this! Mine should arrive any day, and now I'm feeling optimistic about having spent the money on it.

#11 of 31 Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM

fruitfulmomma and oneserenityone,

I wonder what it is about the food thing? A lot of things are giving me heartburn now, so I wonder if that's the reason I'm turned off most food and drawn to more bland things? Tonight, for instance, the only thing that sounded palatable was whole wheat pasta with just olive oil and parmesan cheese. Not the most nutrient-packed dinner, but it was easy to eat and hopefully all my vitamins and supplements make up for how plain it was.

#12 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylSF View Post
fruitfulmomma and oneserenityone,

I wonder what it is about the food thing? A lot of things are giving me heartburn now, so I wonder if that's the reason I'm turned off most food and drawn to more bland things? Tonight, for instance, the only thing that sounded palatable was whole wheat pasta with just olive oil and parmesan cheese. Not the most nutrient-packed dinner, but it was easy to eat and hopefully all my vitamins and supplements make up for how plain it was.
Lucky for me, no heartburn here, but I'd rather have bland things too... baby does seen to like to squash my full stomach with her feet, so maybe I'm reacting to that too... Whatever the reason I did eat most of a small watermelon today, which of course is not such a high calorie/anything food, but I didn't hate it.
#13 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylSF View Post
I'm so glad to hear this! Mine should arrive any day, and now I'm feeling optimistic about having spent the money on it.
I hope yours is good to you! Mine is so wonderful.
#14 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder what it is about the food thing? A lot of things are giving me heartburn now, so I wonder if that's the reason I'm turned off most food and drawn to more bland things?
I do have pretty bad heartburn, it kinda comes and goes. I also have allergies, so lots of drainage, which I am sure isn't helping. It seems worse too when baby is kicking really hard.

My daughter made some tuna patties the other day that were really good, but yesterday when I tried to eat some canned salmon just mixed with a bit of mayo it made me ill to even look at it. I think I am going to pick up some kefir or yogurt after my appointment today so I have something quick on hand to eat.
#15 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Ugh the heartburn is KILLING me. Only really when it gets close to bedtime. And it doesn't matter what I eat or when. Boo.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#16 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneserenityone View Post
Whatever the reason I did eat most of a small watermelon today, which of course is not such a high calorie/anything food, but I didn't hate it.
I have been chowing down on watermelon. I ate a quarter of a large watermelon last night. I don't know if it is the freshness/summer factor or the water content, but I can't get enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post
Ugh the heartburn is KILLING me. Only really when it gets close to bedtime. And it doesn't matter what I eat or when. Boo.
My prenatal masseuse showed me some techniques for heartburn and indigestion. You make an "M" shape with your hands, press deeply, and slide down until you feel the top of your uterus. You do it under your sternum, going straight down, and at the curved part of your rib cage at an angle toward your uterus. She suggested doing it in 3 sets of ten, but I kind of do it as needed. It isn't a cure all, but it does help somewhat.
#17 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh, yes, heartburn. I am okay mostly during the day, but keep Tums by my bed at night.

I'm experiencing a lot of food "meh" and some food aversions, which makes my more frequent hunger pretty annoying. I feel pretty lousy if I don't eat every few hours, but not much thrills me anymore.

Emotionally, I feel like I've suddenly become so sensitive in the last couple of weeks. As in, not irritable, but I find being around conflict or chaos really upsetting. I keep needing to go hide in my room when my older kids start fighting. Such an interesting change, and definitely a pregnancy thing. I'm looking forward to being able to deal with more of that directly, because I've been leaving a lot of the conflict stuff up to DH for the time being.

The weight/pressure of my belly is becoming something to be reckoned with. I'm just past 33 weeks, and feeling overwhelmed by the thought of carrying this *weight* for another month and a half. I sit for work, but am so tired after sitting up at my desk all day. I just want to lay down and space out. Walking is actually a little better than sitting in one place; it seems to keep the pressure from building up on any one spot.

Sleep isn't great, but it's okay. I wish it were cooler out, but can't really complain too much. I'm going to have to take a note from you ladies and go get some watermelon today! That sounds excellent!

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#18 of 31 Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post
The weight/pressure of my belly is becoming something to be reckoned with. I'm just past 33 weeks, and feeling overwhelmed by the thought of carrying this *weight* for another month and a half. I sit for work, but am so tired after sitting up at my desk all day. I just want to lay down and space out. Walking is actually a little better than sitting in one place; it seems to keep the pressure from building up on any one spot.
This is something I have really been struggling with, I find I can't stay in any one position for too long. I have a few art projects that I'm feeling pressure to finish before the baby comes, but I can't sit and work on them for very long stretches at a time. I also worry about what I'm going to feel like over the rest of this pregnancy, I already feel like I'm going to explode!

Heartburn has been very annoying too, especially at night. I looked into ways to help it, and basically realized that all of our favourite foods (like spicy everything) only makes it worse. So I guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it, and perhaps try that massage technique mentioned earlier!

I've also recently found myself waking up at 4am and really struggling to fall back to sleep. The baby seems to wake up at that time too, and start kicking up a storm. I don't know if I'm waking them up, or the other way around. Either way I've been extra tired, and I'm trying to not worry about how much more tired I'm going to be when they are on the outside!
#19 of 31 Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping...

and is anyone else here who is birthing in the hospital live a ways out from where they are going? We are 25 to 35 minutes away from ours and I am still unsure on how to time it to get there before baby arrives but not too early. We started last labor with pit and before that I had homebirths, the last of which I had several bouts of prodromal labor, one of which lasted for several hours, and then during labor my contractions actually stopped and I was about to send the midwives home but when I stood up they kicked into overdrive and I was holding her a few hours later.
#20 of 31 Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM

We are about 40-45 minutes from the hospital. I moved about 5.5 years ago, but kept my OB/GYN even though she was about 30 minutes away because I like her a lot. This is the only hospital where she delivers. On the plus side, it is a women's hospital that is connected to the top children's hospital in our area. However, I want to labor at home as long as possible and the distance does concern me a bit. When I hit 36 weeks, I am planning to discuss the timing of contractions with my OB and my doula to see how long they think I can wait. This is my first baby, so I have no idea if I will be on the longer side or not. I just can't imagine being at a hospital for hours and hours.
#21 of 31 Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I was deciding when to leave for the birth center (hospital this time), I generally gauge the intensity of the contractions. There's a certain threshold beyond which I don't want to be riding in a car. My labors are not generally short, so I know that I'll probably only be 2-3 cm when I arrive at the hospital, but I would rather spend some extra time laboring (as long as my labor is established and active) at the facility than deal with transition in a car... No thank you. It has been my experience that my labor slows way down when I first get to the hospital/birth center (adrenaline!), but after 30 minutes or so of relaxing and getting back into my groove, it comes right back.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#22 of 31 Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM

We just switched from an ob practice that delivers at a hospital 30 min away to a midwife practice 40 min away - more during morning traffic. My first labor was very quick - I was complete when we got to the hospital 3 hours after contractions started. Transitioned in the car, but didn't know it at the time. Babe was op, so back labor as well, not a fun - or safe - ride as I couldn't sit, had to be on hands and knees. This time planning to leave as soon as contractions start. And have emergency supplies in the car just in case.

With the first babe we planned to labor at home as long as we could, to avoid arriving early to a not particularly natural birth friendly hospital. My water broke and contractions started right away, I used the bathroom, showered and got dressed and at that point it got pretty intense and I knew we had to get going.

Will have to cut the shower short this time and praying for no morning traffic.
#23 of 31 Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Any other mommas worried about going into labor early? Having lots of strong BH. I know you feel them more with the second and each consecutive child and I know the first time around I didn’t have the physical demands of taking care of a two year old, so it makes sense that I’m feeling different this time around.

My midwife is not concerned and I don’t believe I have any risk factors for not making it to term. I do try to do common sense things like staying hydrated (especially in this heat) and resting as much as I can.
#24 of 31 Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Yikes! Something about this new format is keeping me away from this site, although I'm not really sure why. Fun to check in and to have lots to catch up on, though!

Eezoom - I'm BH-ing like mad over here. It's never been the "4 or more in one hour" that my MW warns me about... But it certainly gets close! This is my first too, so I don't know what that's all about.

Lack of appetite - for sure! No nausea, but at times eating feels like a chore... This coming from the girl who was once freaked out about gaining 10lbs in one month - I was an eating machine for a while there! I think my issue is...

PRESSURE/no more room! - I've been having diaphragm and breathing troubles for weeks now, and it's only getting worse. A few nights ago after a large meal I was so stuffed that I could hardly catch my breath which gave me a total panic attack. It was crazy. So yeah, eating definitely isn't as thrilling as it once was.

Emotional... Someone brought this up, but now I can't find who it was. YES. I am extremely sensitive as of late! I think I cried twice in the first two trimesters... And I've cried EVERY DAY this week about pretty trivial things. I'm officially the typical Hollywood movie pregnant lady that laughs uncontrollably and then weeps like a child and then shouts at her husband all within 5 minutes. Yeesh!

Movement - CONSTANT. and sometimes so spastic that I refer to the google to make sure it's not too much. She's nuts in there. I swear she has the hiccups at least twice a day... The novelty wore off really fast I'm glad to have the frequent reminder that she's a-ok, but I do worry/wonder if this will translate to a restless wild child out of the womb!

34 weeks tomorrow, not to mention June is pretty much over. WHAT THE HECK!? As uncomfortable as I am, Time needs to sloooow down just a bit! It makes me worried that time will go by even faster once baby is here, like she's already growing up too fast Anyone agree?
#25 of 31 Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am having some bh, not a ton but the one this morning was hard enough that I had to breath through it. This is my 9th pregnancy (2 miscarriages + 6 full-term babies) so I am used to them, but I think I am actually having them less than the last couple of babies.

About getting to the hospital... yes, being in the car while in harder labor is excruciating. I have done it once when I had to transport (non-emergent) and it was nothing I ever care to repeat. The hospital we are going to is about a 4 minute drive from a big shopping center and there are some quieter areas there. If it is not dark, and I usually go into labor late afternoon/early evening, I may head out and spend some time walking around if we get there before I think I am ready to head into the hospital.
#26 of 31 Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 AM

I didn't even think about being in transition while riding in the car, but I can definitely tell I will have to avoid that from everyone's experiences.

On a positive note, I had an ultrasound today because my 20 week U/S showed marginal placenta previa. And it has completely resolved! The placenta isn't even considered low-lying. Feeling very blessed that I won't be forced to have a surgical birth!

I haven't felt any BH yet, but the U/S technician said that I had some slight contractions while she was checking everything out. Not sure if I want that to change so that I can know what they feel like or if I would rather continue on blissfully unaware until the real thing.

And yes, time is flying!!!
#27 of 31 Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM

So what do Braxton Hicks feel like for all of you?

Occasionally I'll have a sensation across my entire belly of just being incredibly tight. Usually it happens later in the day and when I go from bending over to standing up, even if I do it slowly/carefully so as not to strain any muscles. I don't remember BH feeling like that with my last 2 but i hear it can be different from one pregnancy to another and between people. So I'm not sure if i'm having the occasional BH or if it's a symptom of something else (like being tired perhaps? haha)

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#28 of 31 Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So what do Braxton Hicks feel like for all of you?
They feel pretty much like early labor contractions to me - across my belly and tight, but not painful. I sometimes have to stop and breath through them, especially if I am laying on my back or he is moving at the same time.
#29 of 31 Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Glad I'm not the only one with a very active babe, BH, and being emotional. Yesterday I started crying when I went back downstairs and realized I had forgotten to push the stat button on the washing machine...

Looking back I may have had BH with DS2- what felt like contractions bad enough I had make myself breathe. The ones I'm having this time aren't soo bad (yet), mostly in the evenings and only uncomfortable when little one is moving at the same time.

Homeschooling,mom to DS1 ('02) , DS2 ('03) , and DD1 ('14) . Now living in a very cold place
#30 of 31 Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM

My BH feel like tight pressure all across my belly, and yes it is worse when Baby is moving at the same time.
I've been a bit more emotional too. Right now I'm making my birthing playlist and just thinking that I might be listening to these songs as I labour is making me very emotional

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page