Low platelets, might not get my homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Low platelets, might not get my homebirth

I'm struggling with my low platelets. If they go below the threshold of 100, my midwives suggest I have a hospital birth. I fear my heart will break if I have to give birth in hospital.
My DS was born in hospital and it was so long, mostly because I couldn't relax and there were too many restrictions.
This time is much more different. I'm a student midwife. I have worked in the hospital that I'd give birth in. I know and like (most) of the staff, and really unless there was a reason to consult an OB I wouldn't even see the staff, it would be my midwives. I'm in my home country.

But I really wanted a lovely homebirth.
Just sad here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good luck to you, hopefully they come back up and you will have your home birth!
It can be very hard to deal with something different than what we're planning for though, I am sure it will all be okay no matter what, but I hope you get what you're wishing for.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am a homebirther at heart but having my second planned hospital birth with this baby, primarily for financial reasons. (#1, 4, and 5 were at home and #2 and 3 were unplanned hospital births. #6 was my first planned hospital birth.) My last birth went pretty well, despite having to have pit, but I am a little nervous about this one anyway.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I have platelets measuring on the lower end as well. As long as you mentally prepare yourself for possibly having to go in a hospital even though you'd prefer to have baby at home, you'll be fine. especially since you sound like you're very much in your home territory.

our local hospital actually recommends that folks come in and tour and pre-register. Part of their "ready for baby" program (i think that's what it's called) is also filling out a birth plan so that all the staff are on the same page as far as what you want during your birth (minimal interventions or otherwise). It might be worth asking your hospital about or seeing if they'd take a written birth plan and add it to your file along with the pre-registration if you do end up having to go to the hospital.

I'm sure you've already done your research but it'd be good (if you haven't or if you have) to at least ask your midwives what some possible scenarios and procedures might have to happen if your platelets are too low and if it affects you during birth in a negative way. that way you can mentally prepare and make contingency plans (in your birth plan too!) so that you can relax and don't have to think during birth.

do all your preparation ahead of time so that you can simply be there. If its any consolation, we had our last one at our local hospital and after having laid out our best plans and talked through some likely less-than desirable scenarios and whatnot, my DD2 was a lovely birth. Besides, I was so not there with all the birthing hormones that I don't think I would have known where I was for sure.

Wishing you the best of luck no matter where you are when baby arrives! sending good vibes your way!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your thoughts and good wishes. I just went and had my blood drawn, so I'll soon discover if I get to have my home birth. My midwives really feel as though my levels are going to balance out, but at my last visit I started to prepare myself for a potential hospital birth. I packed a hospital bag, but I am still going to have the birthing tub delivered.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Apparently my platelets have decided to hold out and are 106. We will check them again at the 39 week appointment. So I've continued my gluten and dairy free diet as well as taking liquid chlorophyll, vitamin C, and astragulus tea (On top of nettle/RRL tea, DHA, prenatal, Mg and a probiotic. Hopefully it'll work out!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah. My platelets dropped again. I'm risked out of my homebirth. Hoping for a lovely hospital birth. Send me good juju please!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Sorry to hear that... I can't get on fb right now but someone had linked to a mothering article about natural birth in the hospital and there was a long thread going from women who had done it. I can try to link it later if you want.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I would love that. Thank you
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 AM

https://www.facebook.com/bummis/posts/10152623655536103
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM

sending lots of good juju your way!

I've done it and am planning on doing it again with this one too. Just make sure you go in knowing what you want and communicating what you want.

You can so do this Mama!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Something I just read, you can request a manual platelet count. Sometimes the platelets stick together and this causes an erroneous reading, the actual level may be much higher in this case. I read several cases where the count was considerably higher when done manually.
Interesting also, I was curious so started reading on the subject once I read your post. Apparently Hemotologists will recommend a vaginal birth over a c-section due to less loss of blood if a woman's platelet count is under 50, the OBs have the opposite opinion and opt for section.

Tags
Homebirth , platelets
User Tag List