2Likes
  • 1 Post By fruitfulmomma
  • 1 Post By Lindsay Meeks Edwards

#1 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Breech baby, big belly

Well, my fourth has determined that he will get his parents' attention one way or another. After measuring pretty consistently 2 weeks ahead throughout the pregnancy, I am now measuring 7 weeks ahead. I'm 36.3, and my fundus is measuring at 43 cm. Now, I know that this can be positional, provider differences, etc. On top of this, though, baby is now breech. My midwife verified it with an ultrasound in the office. She thinks I have a lot of fluid, as well as lax abdominal muscles that are letting baby flip around in there.

God, I really don't want to lay on an ironing board. I would do it, though, to avoid a cesarean (a vaginal breech birth isn't an option for me). I'm skeptical of how effective it's going to be with my extra fluid, though. If he's free to flip and flop around, I might just have to cross my fingers that he gets this sorted out before labor starts.

I am having a full ultrasound next week to see what's up with the baby and how much fluid there is. I have a version scheduled for 38 weeks, but will probably play it by ear with how I feel about going ahead with it. I'm a little skeptical about a procedure that has 50/50 odds under normal circumstances, let alone a surplus fluid situation. They would also want me to wear a binder until delivery if the procedure is successful, and my back hurts just thinking about binding my belly up for weeks. I am having a hard time imagining that.

Anyone else have a ECV?

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#2 of 19 Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No ecv but I am measuring a couple of weeks ahead and have another us scheduled Tuesday morning to check for extra fluid. I tend to have larger babies and I was not exact on my dates so I am not overly concerned but at nearly 34 weeks I am still getting a lot of movement and am a little afraid he is turning himself around in there. Really hoping he has not turned breech. My last baby was for quite awhile but she turned head down by about 32. He was in a good position at his 20 week us though.

If he does happen to be breech I have no idea what I plan to do. I've never had a c-section and am quite terrified by the thought, but also lean toward the idea that if I had to have one it would be better to have it scheduled than have an emergency one if he went into distress from ecv. I don't think anyone around here does vag breech deliveries. (I found one doctor in our state last time I looked.)
#3 of 19 Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
No ecv but I am measuring a couple of weeks ahead and have another us scheduled Tuesday morning to check for extra fluid. I tend to have larger babies and I was not exact on my dates so I am not overly concerned but at nearly 34 weeks I am still getting a lot of movement and am a little afraid he is turning himself around in there. Really hoping he has not turned breech. My last baby was for quite awhile but she turned head down by about 32. He was in a good position at his 20 week us though.

If he does happen to be breech I have no idea what I plan to do. I've never had a c-section and am quite terrified by the thought, but also lean toward the idea that if I had to have one it would be better to have it scheduled than have an emergency one if he went into distress from ecv. I don't think anyone around here does vag breech deliveries. (I found one doctor in our state last time I looked.)
Yeah, none of our providers here do vaginal breech deliveries, and I'm not comfortable going unassisted. In all honestly, I don't know if I would be comfortable doing vaginal breech anyhow. I know that many of them happen safely, and I respect the choices of women who opt for them, but I'm just feeling very careful about this delivery for some reason, more so than I have previously. Maybe because it's my last one and I am just feeling superstitious, having had uncomplicated deliveries with my others.

That said, I've never had a c-section before, and I don't relish the thought. It's funny, because I'm less focused on a natural delivery than I have been with my other babies, but the longer I think about the prospect of a c-section, the most I realize that I really want to have an experience of labor one more time. I hate the idea of an emergency c-section (would rather schedule one, like you said), but I am really hoping I can labor with this baby. I would like to do that one more time.

Right now I just have the mindset that I have lots of fluid in there, that I'll be one of the 2/3 of people with this condition that just have it (not related to any problem), and that baby still has room and time to flip around on his own before labor. Our ultrasound is Tuesday, so we'll know more then. If he's not head-down by 38 weeks, I probably will go ahead with the ECV.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#4 of 19 Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Im due July 30 and have a breech baby myself. Tried all the hanging upside down poses which haven't been working...will probably have a version next week. Had a chiropractor appt yesterday and today-she said she was making room for him to be head down.

Are they not asking to induce you after the procedure? I'm going in for a full US today to check my fluid levels and cord position to see if I can go ahead w the version on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm really hoping everything is all good, I can get the version and then not induce labor and try it naturally. Doc is suggesting induction but would really like to stick with my midwife at home...

What is a cast?
#5 of 19 Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post
Im due July 30 and have a breech baby myself. Tried all the hanging upside down poses which haven't been working...will probably have a version next week. Had a chiropractor appt yesterday and today-she said she was making room for him to be head down.

Are they not asking to induce you after the procedure? I'm going in for a full US today to check my fluid levels and cord position to see if I can go ahead w the version on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm really hoping everything is all good, I can get the version and then not induce labor and try it naturally. Doc is suggesting induction but would really like to stick with my midwife at home...

What is a cast?
My due date is August 4, so we're right in the same boat, it sounds like.

I get my care through a CNM practice, and they are very conservative about induction and such. They don't induce before 41 weeks without a strong medical reason. Personally, all of my babies have been born at 39 weeks or a bit earlier, and I'd really like to avoid a c-section, so if my version at 38.1 works, I would like them to induce. It's not that I want to rush the baby, but if it's just a matter of a few days and that choice could keep me from surgery, I think it's a good option. What she did say is that if the baby is showing to have an "unstable lie," meaning they have documented that he's flipping back and forth, they will try a version again at 39 weeks before the c-section and, if it works, induce then. If he doesn't show an unstable lie, they will do the version, and if it works, wait for me to go into labor on my own. All things being equal, I'd definitely prefer to go into labor on my own, I just don't want to miss our chance with the baby head-down and end up with an avoidable c-section, particularly since I don't seem to bake babies longer than 39 weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean by cast -- are you talking about the binder I mentioned? If so, it is an elastic wrap that goes around your belly to hold things in. They have people wear them after some surgeries. If the version is successful, they would want me to wear one to try to keep baby from flipping back around. It makes sense, but I tried to wear a belly belt/support earlier in my pregnancy for back fatigue, and it was just really uncomfortable and painful for me. The end of pregnancy is so achey as it is; I can't imagine doing that with a binder on.

I imagine that, if the version is successful, you could decline the induction and just see how it goes, if that feels like a better choice for you. If your version is successful, you may have a better chance of it "sticking" if you don't have a ton of extra fluid, and if your abdominal muscles are a bit tighter than mine. I don't think there's any medical reason for inducing at that point other than trying to deliver before the baby has a chance to flip back.

Let me know how your U/s goes and how your version goes! I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's experienced it!

#6 of 19 Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM

It seems nothing is going as planned. Things have changed so much in a matter of a week and a half. From planned home birth to likely c-section. To be honest, its nothing I even thought about as I've had such a good, healthy pregnancy and even now I feel great. Not really any aches and pains other than feeling slightly whalish and un-nimble.

Had US yesterday. I guess my fluids are a bit low and because my placenta hangs out in the left front section, the OB does not want to do a version at all. So basically its looking like scheduling the surgery and just hoping and doing everything I can do to get baby to flip before then! Went to the chiropractor twice and now I'm scheduling some acupuncture. I have faith yet...although during the US, baby's head and feet were both up on my left rib area with his butt in lower right. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for surgery, though (hospitals terrify me).

I really hope your version is successful and baby does not flip back. Please let me know how it goes. Seems like they can be stubborn little buggers. I had a friend that I've been talking with and she had a version and then he flipped back as she has a heart shaped uterus. Sounds like since you've had three head down pregnancies before that baby should like it down there! Good luck.
#7 of 19 Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

@farmes94 -- I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be so disappointed to be looking at such a big change in your planned birth. I will keep my fingers crossed for your that chiropractic and acupuncture does it for you. Have you researched "gentle c-section"? There are some birth options, even for those looking at a surgical birth. Still, I know this is nothing like what you were planning, and I really do feel your sadness about this.

I have a hard time imagining having a c-section. After three vaginal births, this just seems surreal, and so outside of my previous birth experiences. I'm trying not to think too far ahead of my self until after my u/s on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm beyond curious about what's going on in there.

#8 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM

I have not heard of a "gentle" c-section but will certainly be looking into it!

Please let me how tomorrow goes! Too bad I can't adopt some of your extra fluid. Fingers crossed.
#9 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM

This is a pdf file, if you scroll to pg. 4 you can read an article on skin-to-skin after cesarean that was implemented at one our local hospitals... http://www.bannerhealth.com/NR/rdonl...NCMC_Sum12.pdf
PrimalJoy likes this.

#10 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I had my ultrasound today, and found that baby had flipped head-down! My fluid levels were also normal, which is great. So, for the moment, we're assuming that I'm on track for a vaginal delivery. He's on the large size, eight pounds at the moment, which may make him over nine pounds at delivery. I'm not too worried about that. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he behaves and stays head-down now. At eight pounds, he should be "stuck" that way, but he was floating pretty high above my pelvis. I must have a really stretchy uterus or something. I've definitely felt some STRONG movements in the past week that felt like him flipping all the way around, and I was feeling hiccups on my side, making me think he was transverse for a while.

I'm seeing the midwife and I'm sure we'll confirm our plans, but I think that, for the moment, we're assuming that all is well and will remain well.

#11 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I had my ultrasound today, and found that baby had flipped head-down!

Mine is breech just like I suspected. I was a little bummed the but us tech and my ob and her nurse were all adamant that he still had time to get flipped over correctly. My fluid levels are good and he wasn't measuring too big or anything so lots of room left. OB told me to do some pelvic rocks and see if that would help. A bit of a funny note... he didn't want to show his face and the one side shot we got, I think he has his fist up there and it made him look like a little Shrek baby.

#12 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post
I had my ultrasound today, and found that baby had flipped head-down! My fluid levels were also normal, which is great. So, for the moment, we're assuming that I'm on track for a vaginal delivery. He's on the large size, eight pounds at the moment, which may make him over nine pounds at delivery. I'm not too worried about that. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he behaves and stays head-down now. At eight pounds, he should be "stuck" that way, but he was floating pretty high above my pelvis. I must have a really stretchy uterus or something. I've definitely felt some STRONG movements in the past week that felt like him flipping all the way around, and I was feeling hiccups on my side, making me think he was transverse for a while.

I'm seeing the midwife and I'm sure we'll confirm our plans, but I think that, for the moment, we're assuming that all is well and will remain well.
Primal-That's great news! Very happy for you. I knew he'd find his way down there.

Fruitful- When are you due? I bet you have time.

Spoke to my doc today and she said that I could wait until my official due date to schedule c section which is July 30. I want to make sure I give him every opportunity to flip and not rush him. Doc said I was opposite of every other woman that she'd delt with in the fact that once they learned they had to have a c section that they wanted baby out as soon as possible. I feel great and am willing to wait- maybe he is just a late bloomer!
#13 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post
Primal-That's great news! Very happy for you. I knew he'd find his way down there.

Spoke to my doc today and she said that I could wait until my official due date to schedule c section which is July 30. I want to make sure I give him every opportunity to flip and not rush him. Doc said I was opposite of every other woman that she'd delt with in the fact that once they learned they had to have a c section that they wanted baby out as soon as possible. I feel great and am willing to wait- maybe he is just a late bloomer!
It's entirely possible he might still turn! I'm 37 weeks and 1 day today (my due date is Aug 4), so you're not far ahead of me. I think giving him time is a good idea; I love how supportive this practice sounds.

#14 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Not until the end of August.

#15 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Sounds like you have plenty of time! Here's to hoping that baby will recognize its much more comfortable without a rib in his head. Mind doesn't seem to care!
#16 of 19 Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds2 was breech until 39 weeks. I did acupuncture and chiro, and lots of visualization and talking to the baby, and one morning I woke up and he was head down. Good for you for waiting. You've still got time.
#17 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 AM

I think my baby moved up out of my pelvis last night, not sure what position he was in but I was feeling movement in my left lower side and upper right side, rather than behind my pelvic bone as he has been.

Has anyone tried peppermint essential oil? I guess babies don't like it and will move away from where you apply it, so in the case of breech you put it across the top of your belly. With my last baby I was handling a rag with some on it and forgot and accidentally laid it near my belly and I could feel her move away almost instantly.

#18 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post
Well, my fourth has determined that he will get his parents' attention one way or another. After measuring pretty consistently 2 weeks ahead throughout the pregnancy, I am now measuring 7 weeks ahead. I'm 36.3, and my fundus is measuring at 43 cm. Now, I know that this can be positional, provider differences, etc. On top of this, though, baby is now breech. My midwife verified it with an ultrasound in the office. She thinks I have a lot of fluid, as well as lax abdominal muscles that are letting baby flip around in there.

God, I really don't want to lay on an ironing board. I would do it, though, to avoid a cesarean (a vaginal breech birth isn't an option for me). I'm skeptical of how effective it's going to be with my extra fluid, though. If he's free to flip and flop around, I might just have to cross my fingers that he gets this sorted out before labor starts.

I am having a full ultrasound next week to see what's up with the baby and how much fluid there is. I have a version scheduled for 38 weeks, but will probably play it by ear with how I feel about going ahead with it. I'm a little skeptical about a procedure that has 50/50 odds under normal circumstances, let alone a surplus fluid situation. They would also want me to wear a binder until delivery if the procedure is successful, and my back hurts just thinking about binding my belly up for weeks. I am having a hard time imagining that.

Anyone else have a ECV?
Good morning. I am 37.5 weeks and just had an ECV this past Friday, July 21st. It was successful in that 3 docs simultaneously rotated this little guy 180 degrees. He's remained head down now for 3 days and we're hoping he stays this way. The ECV was indeed painful, but it was only 15 minutes or so. I do still have abdominal soreness from all the pressure, but nothing that isn't manageable or worth it. I also had soreness in my spine from the epidural. The epidural was only 1/4 of the amount that they would administer during childbirth, but it was absolutely necessary. My body would have fought the doctors rotating our little guy too much without it, and it wouldn't have been successful. Plus, I have a very high pain tolerance, but I couldn't have done that without the epidural. We were at the hospital from 8am-2pm, and it was considered outpatient. I was pretty tired afterward, so I had to take an entire day off of work. I did start contracting immediately after the procedure, which is good and natural - they want to see that happen so that it encourages the baby's head to stay down. I'm still contracting, but irregularly. Could go on like this for a couple of weeks. I really want a shot at a vaginal birth, so this has been worth it so far. Just a new environment for this little guy, so I imagine he's got to get used to it before emerging into the world.

Plus I want to add that when I found out he was breech at 34 weeks, we started acupuncture, the Webster technique with a chiropracter, every position recommended, moxa with mugworth, handstands in the pool, etc. I do still believe in all of that, and imagine that it might have prepared my body for a successful ECV, but it didn't work in and of itself.
PrimalJoy likes this.

Last edited by Lindsay Meeks Edwards; 07-21-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Just remembered to add something.
#19 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I think my baby moved up out of my pelvis last night, not sure what position he was in but I was feeling movement in my left lower side and upper right side, rather than behind my pelvic bone as he has been.

Has anyone tried peppermint essential oil? I guess babies don't like it and will move away from where you apply it, so in the case of breech you put it across the top of your belly. With my last baby I was handling a rag with some on it and forgot and accidentally laid it near my belly and I could feel her move away almost instantly.
No, but I will certainly be trying it! I'll try and get some tonight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page