• 2 Post By oneserenityone
  • 1 Post By farmes94
  • 1 Post By PrimalJoy

#1 of 9 Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
haven't taken any prenatal vitamins this go round

hey mamas, i'm starting to freak out a little... this is my 3rd pregnancy and the past 2, i've taken vitamins all throughout, but this time i haven't taken ANY. i just plain out forgot...

is this bad? am i too late to start taking the last month? i'm sort of panicking!! please let me know what you all think

thank you!!

~ I am obsessed with car seat safety and advice on the best car seats!

Love you all!!
Kaitlyn R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say try not to worry about it too much, but that's easier to say than do. My opinion would be that it definitely wouldn't hurt to take some sort of vitamin for the last month- especially since it can be hard to eat much then anyway.

If it's any help, this is my third pregnancy and while I have vitamins I've forgotten to take them probably half of the time. Also found out that evidently my body doesn't absorb the folic acid so who knows how well the first ones I was taking worked.

Homeschooling,mom to DS1 ('02) , DS2 ('03) , and DD1 ('14) . Now living in a very cold place
#3 of 9 Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't either. I don't tolerate them very well and seem to get an upset digestive system no matter which brands I've tried.

I was told during my first pregnancy that prenatal vitamins are really more for the mom than the baby, since baby takes whatever they need, and that as long as I had a pretty well balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables and calcium, there was really no need because I do not have any deficiencies.

That said, if you feel like you should be taking them, it's never "too late" to start them, especially if you plan to breastfeed since that is equally draining.
doopamama and crazyms like this.
#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Think of all the mothers throughout the years that never took a vitamin. I'd say our planet is quite inhabited with healthy humans.
Steph Anie likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Couldn't hurt to talk with your OB or midwife and see if they've got any recommendations to help YOU, especially if like oneserenityone said, you plan on breastfeeding. I've found that during pregnancy I NEED extra Iron because no matter what I do I cannot make enough iron to support both baby and me. Calcium is probably good too because if you're not taking in enough baby will take it from your body's stores (read: bones and teeth!). Your doc will probably have good suggestions for other nutrients to be working hard to obtain whether through food or supplements! I like supplements because if nothing else I'm guaranteed those basic ones and that minimum level.

otherwise, don't worry too much. Farmes94, I agree with you on your point.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think your fine

the prenatal is only for if your not eating properly to fill in the gaps per say i took them religiously with my first and with my second i forget all the time to the point where i forget the gummys and those things are yummie
#7 of 9 Old 07-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think they could still benefit you if you started them now. There are a lot of nutritional demands made on your body at the end of the pregnancy when babe is growing a lot, as well as during recovery from birth and breastfeeding. I took a college nutrition class earlier this year; the instructor said that most people don't need supplements normally, but there is evidence to support their use during pregnancy and older age, when there are some specific needs that are hard to meet with just diet.
fruitfulmomma likes this.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#8 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalJoy View Post
I think they could still benefit you if you started them now. There are a lot of nutritional demands made on your body at the end of the pregnancy when babe is growing a lot, as well as during recovery from birth and breastfeeding. I took a college nutrition class earlier this year; the instructor said that most people don't need supplements normally, but there is evidence to support their use during pregnancy and older age, when there are some specific needs that are hard to meet with just diet.
I agree. Certain vitamins have definitely helped with how Ive felt throughout pregnancy and I'm sure when I continue on to breast feeding. I was a bit depressed during pregnancy as it was the dead of winter in Montana- my midwife gave me d3 drops which immediately changed my outlook. I will continue that. Also last week I accidentally got a multi vitamin with no iron and have been eating less meat, and this weekend felt a dramatic decrease in my energy levels. Sooo tired! Had a burger yesterday and picking up some iron today!

I'd say you can't change the past, but you can still affect the future!
#9 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm very happy with my prenatal vitamins this time around. I'm doing New Chapter Perfect Prenatals, which include probiotics in addition to the herbals and vitamin/mineral supplements. I think they're partly to thank for my GBS negative status this time, when I was positive last time. I also was not anemic during this pregnancy, but I was during my last one. I'm not perfect at taking them, but I take them as much as I can remember, and I do think it's helped my energy level and overall health.

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page