Mothering Forum banner

Pre-labor?

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Steph Anie 
#1 · (Edited)
Late last week I realized that baby was in a diagonal position (after being firmly head down for a long time) and that her shift corresponded directly with the sudden increase in hip/pelvic pain I've been having since she dropped. I started doing some of the poses recommended by spinning babies for oblique babes.

Last night I felt like she turned head down again, the pelvic pain was almost immediately relieved and now I'm feeling kicks all over my upper belly instead of just on the right side. So, success!!? Hopefully!

Now it seems like maybe her position change has triggered things to start "getting ready".... After about 4 hours of sleep I woke up with strong period-like stomach cramps that lasted for a few hours in the middle of the night (and are back again this morning), and backache. When I got up to use the restroom around 4am I lost a portion of my mucus plug. I'm also a bit nauseated and extra tired (although being up for several hours last night certainly contributed to that, for sure).

I'm not sure if any of this means anything yet, but I am a little on guard because I'm 38+5 today and that's exactly the same point at which I went into pre-labor with my son. Eep!

Anyone else feeling like they're maybe starting to go? What are your symptoms?

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh how exciting it seems like your body is gearing up for the big event! Perhaps you will be meeting your little one very soon.

I'm 38+6 today and I feel like I'm getting close. However, it's my first so I'm not sure if I'm actually close, or just closer than yesterday! I've been having BH quite regularly and they are very strong. They don't feel like menstrual cramps though, which is what I expect labour contractions to feel like (somewhat anyways).

My baby dropped 3 weeks ago, so that has been making me pretty impatient. I suspect I may have lost my mucus plug a week ago too, but again I'm not sure. I saw some pictures online of what it looks like and thought to myself I had something similar a few days back. However, it wasn't bloody and at the time I just assumed I was extra gooey that day. Now I really wish I had paid better attention.

I've been getting soft crampy feelings really low in my pelvis for a couple days now. It hasn't been very strong, but I get a little wave of extra cramps during this time too, which usually happens when I'm laying down in bed. Whenever I start to get a little hopeful that this may be the beginning, the feeling goes away and I'm back to waiting for labour.

#3 ·
I have been having crampy "maybe tonight" type feelings for the last two nights, but when I wake up in the morning, my uterus is quiet again. I think this baby is having a very gradual lead in, so who knows how long this will take? Based on my previous babies, I was sure I wouldn't make it to August, but now I'm really wondering if this one doesn't end up going past his due date.
@oneserenityone -- what you describe sounds just like I experienced going into labor with my first two! They were born within 24 hours! Good luck to you!

Reactions: oneserenityone
#4 ·
So it sounds like crampy-ness is a "getting ready" theme, but maybe not an indicator... I know that once our bodies are ready there will be no mistaking it, but the "am I?/aren't I?" guessing game is making me antsy!

After steady cramps and an achy back all morning I finally fell back asleep for a few hours around lunch time and when I woke up everything had stopped and I felt completely normal. How anti-climatic! Although last night when I woke up I felt very much "not ready" when it occurred to me what might be happening, I'll admit that once I'd settled on the idea a bit I was disappointed when the symptoms went away.

Now I've started having lots of pressure low in my pelvis when babe moves (another good sign that she's head down again, hooray!) and feeling like I need to go to the restroom all the time... which has given me ample opportunity to notice I am still losing my mucus plug, so then again maybe something IS happening.

With my son the mucus plug went around 24 hours before he was born as well @PrimalJoy, so maybe this IS something... or maybe the mucus and the cramping are just signs of some early dilation and I still have a few weeks to go yet. Who knows! My body hasn't done this for over 9 years, it's funny how you forget it all.

In the midst of my napping this afternoon I had a dream that my belly had a thermometer like a turkey (the kind that pop up when it's fully cooked). Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

#5 ·
Yes, I keep reminding myself that the entire ninth month is labor, and that active labor (at least in my experience) is NOT questionable! Getting crampier at night happens because of hormone fluctuations. I also think I have a lot more irritable uterus feelings when my body is tired. Once I get more rested, it calms down. I do think that mucus plug is an excellent sign, particularly since this isn't your first baby. First time moms are more likely to lose their plug well ahead of labor.

The friends we have lined up to watch our 2-year-old are going out of town for the day tomorrow, so I have told baby that tonight and tomorrow are off the table. I'm "inviting" him to come on Friday.

#6 ·
So no baby yet. If something is going on in there she's taking her time about it!

Had some strong BH last night and then nothing all day today (in spite of how many times my poor husband looked at me like I was a bomb set to go off).

I'm half considering having my OB do a cervix check at my prenatal on Friday just because I am now really curious even if it is totally useless.

#7 ·
I had my OB check two weeks ago when baby dropped just to be sure but I think I might also ask her to check again on Friday. Can't really hurt, right?

#8 ·
Anything yet oneserenityone?

My cervix has started to dilate just a little but no effacement yet. Dr also said that it seems baby is spine to spine with me right now and suggested some time belly down to encourage him rolling over so we're both more comfortable.

the backs of my hips and hips have also been hurting too. I hope I don't look like a drunk duck (yet) but I'm definitely starting to have some sort of duck walk and sore hips definitely aren't helping!

just hitting 38 weeks on Sunday but my DR will be out for a week and a half right over my due date so I'm hoping this guy will decide that anytime before the 13th is Go Time. I'm so ready to have him outta me!

#9 ·
No baby over here! I'm trying not to be desperately frustrated and to be patient, but this last week has just made me feel so DONE.

My Doc apparently likes to avoid cervix checks until 40 weeks because she doesn't think they're before then helpful ("Even if you are starting to dilate all we can do is hurry up and wait"), so I'll have to wait until next week (Arg! Trying to remind myself I picked a natural minded OB on purpose). She thinks the cramping could have been my uterus and ab muscles being irritated by/adjusting to the baby's new position... or just more BH.

Yesterday I had some mild/annoying contractions for about 3 hours(just long enough to start getting excited), 16-20 minutes apart at first and then a few 11-13 minutes apart, and then one really strong one, and then everything stopped and hasn't started again since. Baby was rolling around like crazy after each one as if to say, "Hey, quit squeezing me!"

The sore hips are a total killer - I can't get comfortable whether I'm laying, sitting, or standing/walking. About the only thing that helps is being in the pool, but with cool temps and a few Thunderstorms the last few days I haven't been able to use it this week. Hoping to go today.

Trying to convince myself to have some patience.

#10 ·
I can say I've been feeling the same way. I am so DONE being pregnant. I don't like going out anymore because I'm sick of people asking me when I'm due, or telling me to enjoy my last few days without a baby. I'm so ready, but unfortunately my babe is not.

My midwives won't check my cervix either, but I think that's kind of a good thing for me. If I wasn't dilated I would be frustrated, and if I was I would be super frustrated with every passing day without labour. As it is I'm trying to be patient and remind myself that a few more days or another week is really nothing. I'm 39+4 today, and I kind of thought they would be here by now. I'm trying to not drive myself crazy with impatience.

I've been feeling very strong BH. Last night they were coming on quite often and somewhat regularly but as soon as I decided to track them they slowed down. Some nights I feel like it might be the beginning of something, but so far I just wake up disappointed, which makes the next day even harder. I'm trying to remember the advice my midwife gave me, which was to ignore everything below my waste until I can't ignore it anymore. I am so impatient and so ready for labour.

Last week my baby had moved out of an ideal position and since then I have been sitting on my birth ball to move them back. I'm pretty sure they are back on the left side, but now I'm super worried they are going to move back again. All I want to do is relax on the couch and put my swollen feet up but that would encourage them to move back to my right side (and be posterior).

I'm really trying to stay positive and not get obsessed with how close (and far away) labour is, but some days, like today, it's pretty difficult.

#11 ·
I'm with you, Fembot. I'm 39 weeks 5 days right now, and I feel like I'm gonna be pregnant literally forever.

#13 ·
glad to hear I'm not the only one dying to be done here! I'm just hitting 38 weeks tomorrow but I'm so DONE! It's so dang hot here and today, especially this afternoon has been rather muggy with the thunderstorms moving overhead.

I was so looking forward to having the pool this summer! My landlord's mother put in a pool several decades ago when she got an inheritance (we're living in what was her house). Normally in June our landlord fills up the pool and gets the pump running the water through the pipes in the poolhouse roof to get things warmed up to a tolerable temperature buuuut this year our landlord has been occupied with another extremely important project. He's been spacey lately so we didn't want to distract him with another potential project. now all we have is a half-full algae-filled pool if ick. definitely not getting into it now, I don't want to have any idea what type of bacteria I might pick up when I'm this pregnant... LAST thing I need.

perhaps now that that project is done, I can convince him to get it going, maybe I can enjoy it at least clean. ice cold would feel great right now anyhow with it still being 90 degrees, muggy like the mid-west and 7pm. oh well, our pumpkins like the warm nights and they've been pretty beaten up lately so I guess in the interest of my cash crop this year, I'll endure...

time to beg for a pool...

Now I definitely feel like a prego wimp because you all are closer to done than me and I feel so whiney! :crying:

#14 ·
@doopamama -- Don't feel bad! I have been whiny, on and off, for months. Sometimes I feel fine, and then a have a rough day where I just don't feel like I can do this another minute. Like, four months ago, I had to just determine that I would not let myself think beyond this day. I can do one day, even if I'm having a bad day.

I've used our apt complex pool a few times (mainly because my kids want to go), but it's a mixed experience for me. My lack of balance is challenging and rather tiring after a little while, and the water always seems to warm to feel refreshing. Other mamas have talked about really liking it, though. Is there a community pool you could visit if yours doesn't get fixed?

At any rate, don't feel weak or whiny -- these last weeks are hard! In some ways, it's harder getting through it when you know you probably have a few weeks left. If I don't go into labor this week, I'm having an induction on the 11th (my choice, lots of reasons). I feel a little more calm now knowing that I only have to struggle about for another week. I want to meet my baby so badly! And the waiting is just making me worry about how the birth will go, how big he'll be, all these things I don't need to worry about. I'm trying to come up with a distraction a day. And who knows? Maybe actual spontaneous labor will show up! Wouldn't that be nice? DH has to go back to school on the 18th, so if we end up inducing, I'll only have him home for a week. That's not ideal, but we'll cope. But, really, little dude would do much better to make his appearance now!

#15 ·
It's really nice to hear that so many of us are in the same boat.

doopamama: don't feel like a wimp, I've been complaining on and off since I hit 37 weeks.

I've actually gotten a bit better now that I'm so close because I know my pregnant days are truly almost over. Some days I feel peaceful and just live in the moment, enjoying the last few days of being pregnant and being a childless couple. Those days are easiest.
Other days, like primaljoy said, I feel like I'm going to be pregnant forever. This is just my new state of being and I'm going to be like this until I explode and die. On these days I tend to think spontaneous labour won't happen, that I'm going to have to be induced way after my due date because this baby just doesn't want to come out and prefers to punch/kick my insides.

I so want to meet this baby, and it's hard for me to just have to wait. The last month of pregnancy has been very long.

My friend didn't experience any BH with her baby, and her labour started with her water breaking. I'm a bit jealous of her experience. It must have been very nice to get a very obvious start to labour. I'm struggling to not constantly get hopeful, despite my BH being stronger and more frequent. That being said I seem to carry the weight well, and I impressed her by being able to walk around the market for hours last week. Need to remember to look for the silver lining!

#16 ·
This time last week I was completely content to be pregnant for another month. I have complained non-stop to anyone who would listen since Tuesday.

I'm so, SO done. I did marathon laps around Costco today with the hope it might do something. Nope.

I woke up this morning and was pleased to realize Id slept in an extra couple hours, and then was immediately upset when I realized that meant I wasn't in labor last night.

#17 ·
37 or 38 weeks along here, depending upon which date you use (LMO vs Ovulation)... I think I'm doing ok. Still in the "oh Sh*t" it could happen any day now mindset. So I guess I must still be a ways away right? My first was born on her due date.

TONS of STRONG BH over here. Goodness gracious that better mean a shorter labor or something! Loss of appetite, massive mood swings, pressure like crazy and all that other fun stuff.

I am headed towards a VBAC as well, labored 70+ without getting anywhere the first time which makes me incredibly excited to see my body "progress" this time. My last visit with my midwife was last week and although most clients she sees every week at this point she decided we could skip with week because I'm "doing so well"...

This is my last baby, so perhaps I'm holding on to this pregnancy a bit more than I would otherwise. Hmm... I think once I feel like all the necessities are taken care of for the home birth and postpartum I will be on the same "get out of me now!" page as you all!

#18 ·
Mondays are apparently my uterus' idea of play time.

Had a late dinner and an upset tummy last night. Blamed dinner. Tossed and rolled most of the night, and woke up this morning not feeling much better. Waves of nausea and the constant need to go to the bathroom (along with TONS of pressure when I did). Around noon I realized I'd had a few pains that kept reoccurring with the same intensity, and at regular intervals... contractions - DUH!

It's now 10:00 and I've been having them every 15 minutes or so since 4:30 this afternoon.... nothing too exciting yet as they're not getting closer together, but they are getting more intense (even though they're still pretty mild). Hoping to get a few hours sleep and wake up in full blown labor for real this time...

.... or I'm going to be whining again tomorrow about how done I am with being pregnant. Could go either way ;)

#19 ·
My due date was yesterday. I'm feeling more than ready at this point... Lots of contractions, but no good labor pattern happening. I am giving up hope of ever giving birth.

#20 ·
Well, I'm still in the "no baby yet" club.

Contractions went all night, getting stronger and closer together. Peaking at around 3:30am at 6-8 minutes apart, and then they decreased and spread out again. At some point I fell asleep and when I woke up at 7:30 they had completely stopped.

Only had a handful this afternoon. Very spread out and lacking last nights intensity.

Trying to remember that whether it's active labor or not my body is doing good work, but also feeling completely lead on.

Good thing I didn't call my mom to make the 3 hour drive down.

#21 ·
My due date is tomorrow, but since Every. One. of my 5 kids was two weeks over, I'm planning on that. To the point of almost apathy--I don't have a bloomin thing ready for the baby at all.

I got rid of EVERYTHING baby after #5--I was so done! Thankfully they don't need much those first few weeks. But buying some diapers and chux pads probably isn't a bad idea at this point!

Tons of contractions all the time, but since it's never ever labor I just ignore them. With the others I did the evening primrose on my cervix, cohosh tinctures, acupuncture, and castor oil before things finally kick in at 42 weeks. I wonder what would happen if I didn't do any of it this time?

#22 ·
Just got a whole bunch of worries off my plate over ehre! hooray!

got the new FT permanent position whose pay includes benefits just yesterday! (as opposed to the half-time hourly position where I had benefits because my supervisors forgot to keep me below the threshold for them.) That's a relief.

We also found a Doula! Never had a doula with the first two but we are so mentally unprepared for this one with being in the middle of our normally huge harvest season. It's a little slower this time of year than normal because we had a huge never befroe seen especially this time of year hail storm pass right over our farm and flatten everything outside our hoophouses about 2 weeks ago but we're still not really mentally in the "baby zone" like we could be with the last two born in October. Anyhow, we're very excited to have her even if there's a possibility that she won't be here. (which is FINE! we did only talk to her about 2 weeks before our due date so it really is fine and fair if she is unable to make it for some reason.)

Hoping still for labor before the 13th as my doc is having eye surgery then and will be out for a week or so right over my due date of the 17th.

Any suggestions? we're definitely trying to keep ourselves on a high-sex regimen and such but I've been wanting to try red raspberry leaf tea to hopefully speed things along a little for a slightly early labor. anybody have suggestions for it? I'll ask my doc and doula about it too but I've seen so many different ways to take it. I'd like to know how to make it to take when I get to the hospital too but more importantly, some suggestions to encourage an early labor. I've had plenty of BH but I don't think I've had much or any rhythm to them and most of them are strong enough to at least pause and notice if not all-stopping. (speaking of which, there goes one now... perhaps talking about them more? haha!)

If anyone has some suggestions, I'm open to them all but especially suggestions for red raspberry leaf tea! (except castor oil... doula already said not such a good idea, especially since there are lots of other methods to try first... doesn't sound even remotely pleasant either...)

#23 ·
I'm also hoping that my labor kicks off sooner rather then later due to timing with my husband's school...he's on a 2 week break from university and in 2 weeks he's supposed to start his Master's program full force. Well I'd obviously love to have the baby during this 2 week break he's on! Otherwise dunno what we're gonna do as I have no family here...lol.

I'm doing strong infusions of red raspberry leaf and bouncing on my labor/exercise ball everynight for 30-45 minutes. We're not having much sex but I hope to increase our rate of copulation in the week to come! I also read that evening primrose oil (inserted) contains the same stuff that semen does to thin and soften the cervix but there's a risk that it could cause a premature rupture of membranes so I'll probably only do this around the 40 week mark. I'll be 39 weeks on Friday...

#24 ·
I'm 38 weeks and have had a major loss of appetite the last few days. Then I get nauseous because I haven't eaten enough. My sister said she felt like that a few days before going into labor! I don't know if it's a prelabor sign for me or not... I doubt it, but SO hard not to wonder!

Strong and frequent BH too and loads of pressure...

#25 ·
Oh, interesting. Fingers crossed for you! My appetite disappeared this week too and I hadn't considered a possible connection... I'm not getting my hopes up but it is somewhat nice to know that *something* is different, right?

Just make sure you're staying well hydrated! Along with my appetite went my thirst and I spent some time in triage today getting pumped up with fluids after some very scary dizzy spells this morning. The on-call resident says that they see this often with very pregnant moms in the summer.

Drink, drink, drink ladies!!!

Reactions: coleina
#27 ·
Sounds exciting everyone!

I have had more energy this week than lately, but keep telling myself it can't be nesting. My husband's job is going to be crazy next week and I'm just 38 weeks tomorrow- so little one needs to wait until at least Friday! This one was already sitting low but is definitely moving lower these last couple days; no BH or mucus plug though so hoping for another week of baking (even if it kills my hips).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.