1Likes
  • 1 Post By SureyaSun

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cloth diapers

So heres my big question!

A) diaper service for $200 for the first 2 months? ($115 for month 1 and then $85 for every month after)

B) biodegradable disposable diapers for probably $200-$300 the first 2 months?

C) use my cloth diapers that I've received as gifts, spend $100-$150 more on used ones from craigslist and just wash em and use those.

im really struggling with this one. the more i read, the less certain i am about any decision and with baby coming any day now (due Aug 25), i feel i need to choose and stick with my choice. please help.
#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went with your option # C and dont regret it for a second. Washing them is no big deal, depending on how many you have you only need to do it every other, or every 3rd day. Also the instructions say to line dry mine but I put them in the dryer and they are just fine. You will save so much money in the long run. I'm still using mine on my 18 month old and will use them with my next baby due in April. Even my husband loves them!
#3 of 7 Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM

I would rather buy cloth diapers and wash them myself.

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

#4 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM

We are using a cloth diaper service. I barely have time to wash our regular loads. I just don't think I would be able to keep up with the extra laundry. Our service is $25/week which seems to be about average in our area (though there are only 3 that serve the greater area and only one that serves our neighborhood).

If I had the time to keep up with the extra loads, I would probably try to do it myself. If you end up overwhelmed or just don't like it, you can switch to a service later.
#5 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree. You can always start a diaper service. We have always done a mix of cloth at home and disposable diapers. I don't think there are any diaper services in our area let alone any that would provide service to a rural home.

We have a bunch of cloth all washed and ready to go from previous babies and garage sales and my mother had a bunch of fun fixing the old bummies i had and making more inserts for them.

I also have a bunch of diaposables to hand, especially of nb size for the first while where I definitely won't have energy to do any laundry.

Any extra disposables that baby outgrows I'll donate to the daycare we used to use.
#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is my first baby so I have no past experience to draw upon, but we are planning to try a mix of diapers. We signed up for a cloth diaper service that is $100/month, but my husband also bought a couple weeks' worth of compostable diapers (the diaper service also take compostable diapers and wipes for composting). A friend also gave us some G Diapers with the flushable inserts.

Maybe you can get a combination of cloth/compostable, without too much investment up front? From your post it sounds like you need to get two months' worth of diapers though?

Deep roots are not reached by the frost - J.R.R. Tolkien
#7 of 7 Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i only say 2 months because by that time, i think ill feel ready to use the cloth i have. before then i dont even know. i dont think Ive changed a diaper in my life! let alone my sons. i think what i want to do in the end, is use disposable biodegradable so i get to know what my sons needs are and start practicing with the cloth... and if i feel the need, i can sign up for the service later. service and bio diapers are almost the same price in the end. This is all a lot for me. starting with feeling my contractions starting at 3am last night without ever having felt braxton hicks ones.
CherylSF likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page