Alfie's Birth - Mothering Forums

  • 1 Post By OtherSoul
  • 1 Post By Steph Anie
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
fruitfulmomma's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Between the Rockies and a Flat Place
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Alfie's Birth

My edd was August 29th, which was also me and hubby's 16th anniversary. His birthday was also the day before and we were kinda hoping for a birthday baby, but that whole week came and went. The following Tuesday I did the nst and was sent for an ultrasound to check his fluid levels. Everything looked fine, so we went home to wait. Another appointment for nst and bpp on the morning of the 9th to make sure he was still doing okay and we could wait a few more days. We scheduled an induction for Thursday morning which would be 41+6 days but I went ahead and asked her to strip my membranes that morning to see if it would help things along, hoping to avoid the pit drip again. I had a few harder contractions off and on throughout the afternoon, but no real pattern. Decided to go to bed early thinking nothing was going to happen.

Later in the night I woke up with a contraction and laid waiting to see if I had another. The second one came about 10 or 15 minutes later. Not exactly sure since I didn't have a clock to look at. Thought I would wait for a third but decided I had to get up and pee. I looked at the clock in the hall and it was 1:05. Had another contraction in the bathroom. Decided to sit up at the computer and see if they would continue. Sat for about 3 minutes before I had the next. That was weird. Another one 3 minutes later. Got up to go to the bathroom again and was going to get into the bath, but another one hit on the way there. Decided to call for my husband.

He was pretty out of it when he got in there, took him a few minutes to figure out what was going on. I asked him to help me into the tub. I thought for sure this was going to piddle out and I didn't want to be at it all night if it wasn't going anywhere but he took one look at me and said no, he was going to call the hospital and tell them we were on our way. So I got dressed and woke the kids up and he took them next door to grandma's. It was raining so I ran out and got into his pick-up while he grabbed all my stuff. We got about two blocks from home and realized I had forgotten my purse so we turned around and ran in to get it. Then on our way.

We are 45 minutes away from the hospital so it took a little while. The contractions in the car weren't really fun but mostly I was able to breath through them. Until we go to one of those round-about and also hit a dip. That was a really bad one because I couldn't get into my head right to work through it. I think it was about 2:45 when we got there. We had to go through the ER since it was night and I had to pee so bad but they wouldn't let me because l&d wanted a sample, so we hurried to the elevators and upstairs. Thankfully the nurse let me go straight to the bathroom.

Lots of normal hospital stuff - monitoring, blood work (took three people - my veins don't like to cooperate), etc... I think I was still convinced everything was going to stop and I would be sent home but I went along with what they were doing anyway. After a short time everything seemed to be going faster. I was up and down to the bathroom several times. Between contractions I was still doing okay though. I hung on to my husband a few times when I got caught between the bed and bathroom. I usually do this for awhile but I was pretty tired and felt more like sitting on the edge of the bed. I also started feeling pushy while on the toilet. I had been 4cm. at my appt. and when we got to the hospital I was at 6 already. The nursed checked me again and said I was 8 now. I was still feeling okay between contractions but asked for the TENS machine because they were getting harder. Once she brought that it they started coming very fast and I was having trouble not pushing. The doctor came in and said I was still 8. I let her break my waters and then I definitely could not stop from pushing. They ran and got her to come back in, telling me not to push until she was there. Yeah, right. I couldn't not push at this point and told them so. They tried to tell me gently pushes but my body was pretty much doing this on its own and they told me they could see his head then. So I gave two or three really big pushes, I was somewhat fighting doing this because it hurt really bad and I was afraid it was going to be another 45 minutes, but they said his head was out and told me to keep pushing because his shoulders were still in. I think in total I probably gave 5 or 6 really big pushes to get him out. He was born at 5:41am, so no more than 5 hours total.

After he was born they were doing all sorts of stuff that I was annoyed with but too tired to say much. My husband stopped a few things but I guess they were concerned with getting the placenta out and my bleeding levels. I had a pretty big clot come out once when they nurse did fundal massage. Other than that I think the birth went really well and I am very thankful we gave him time to come on his own and avoided the induction.

We stayed at the hospital until the following afternoon and then came back home. We are hanging out here and he is nursing really well and sleeping a lot. All the other kids love him, especially the 2yo.

Oh, he was 8lbs. 11oz. and 21 1/4" long.(My smallest was 7 1/2lbs. and my largest was 9lbs. 12oz., so he was pretty average.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140910_094446.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	5593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140910_094524.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	5601  

fruitfulmomma is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 3 Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 AM
OtherSoul's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations! Look at that sweet face! <3
fruitfulmomma likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to two beautiful children

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boy, born 2/24/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Girl, born 8/17/14

My blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OtherSoul is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
fruitfulmomma likes this.
Steph Anie is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 13,340

26 members and 13,314 guests
agentofchaos , ame378 , anisaer , Bow , CathyEdd , CricketVS , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , gizzypeach , hillymum , IsaFrench , jamesmorrow , kathymuggle , katyeb , Michele123 , moominmamma , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , rollinsonphilip , samaxtics , sarrahlnorris , Skippy918 , Springshowers , tnmulkey
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.