Mothering Forum banner

Names yet?

3K views 172 replies 40 participants last post by  prettyisa 
#1 ·
Choosing names is my favorite part of pregnancy - though also one of the most frustrating!

#5 ·
haven't really discussed names yet. all we know is that it will be a monosyllabic name (myself, dh, dd and ds all have them). dd and ds also have the names of main characters in thomas hardy novels, so it would be fun to find another. however, i recently perused my thomas hardy collection and nothing really jumped out at me (especially monosyllabic names). grace was the only one that i liked, but if you knew my children's last name you'd understand why grace isn't a possibility. :)

i suggested to dh that we just wait until baby arrives when s/he will tell us his/her name. he didn't like that idea.

while i don't have any ideas yet, i love hearing others'.

once we settle on first names we love, i will definitely come here for inspiration on the middle name. i like to pick a middle name that just sounds great with the first and last (it's all about the flow).

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliHope View Post

Choosing names is my favorite part of pregnancy - though also one of the most frustrating! I am very "into" names, spend lots of time studying and researching trends, popularity, name meaning/origins. Because I'm such a 'name nerd' I'm kind of stressing more about it this time around because:

A. I have generally received positive feedback on my current children's names so I need the 3rd name to live up to that standard. B. I feel like I already am aware of every name in the book and haven't found one that screams, PICK ME! yet, so I fear I never will.

DD is Isla Hope, DS is Grant William

Our shortlist right now (though we like each of these, none have won our hearts yet)

- Brynn

- Bianca

- Elise

- Sybil

- Audrey & Hazel are iffy

- Calvin

- Emmett

- Holden

- Wesley/Weston
My DH is named Emmett and he always gets a lot of compliments, but there aren't too many of them out there. I'm biased, but I love it!

We haven't started thinking of names yet, but just the thought overwhelms be a bit, so I can't wait to read more ideas!

#9 ·
I love the naming part a lot, too, but we always wait 3 days after birth before deciding for sure which name. So far, only one baby has gotten a name I planned for (Friederich, a family name). The rest were chosen on the third day. I still love thinking ahead, though. Boy names are getting used up, but we are thinking of Sterling for this one if it's a boy. We've had girl names picked out for a LONG time. :) Caroline Zoe are both of our great grandmas' names. (Zoe sounding like Zo- without the E sound) Or Talitha Rae.

William, Reuben, Noah and Joel are the rest.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post

I love the naming part a lot, too, but we always wait 3 days after birth before deciding for sure which name. So far, only one baby has gotten a name I planned for (Friederich, a family name). The rest were chosen on the third day. I still love thinking ahead, though. Boy names are getting used up, but we are thinking of Sterling for this one if it's a boy. We've had girl names picked out for a LONG time. :) Caroline Zoe are both of our great grandmas' names. (Zoe sounding like Zo- without the E sound) Or Talitha Rae.

William, Reuben, Noah and Joel are the rest.
oooh I love Sterling (I'm a MadMen fan) but with our last name starting with Sh we've pretty much ruled out and S names. Bummer because they are some of our favorites.

#12 ·
Quote:

oooh I love Sterling (I'm a MadMen fan) but with our last name starting with Sh we've pretty much ruled out and S names. Bummer because they are some of our favorites.
My husband is an "S" and tiny human v1.0 is an "A" so I'm apparently not allowed to choose a "S" name for this one, as they'll be "A", "S", and "S".

We had two names chosen for tiny.human prior to birth. We went with the gender name, but mentally shelved the other, because we loved it. Come to find out, tiny's name was incredibly popular when we chose it... and the name we didn't choose is incredibly popular now (despite being unknown when we chose it initially)! We can't win.

We still love that name (perfect first/middle name, goes very well with our last name) but are definitely turned off by the popularity.

#13 ·
I really never would have guessed that William and Noah were such popular names. I didn't find out till after their names were picked. We don't know many friends with those names for their own kids though, so it doesn't really matter. Plus we home school, so I don't need to worry about any classmates having the same names. ;)

#14 ·
Our daughter is named Piper Ingrid so we're looking for something kind of similar for the next baby. We like the mix of old and new.

Our first choice for a boy (though we're still mulling it over) is Ripley Burnett. Both are family names, one from my husband's side and one from my side.
For girls we're much more torn. My husband thinks Ripley could work for a girl too, in which case we could do Ripley Eleanor (both family names again), but I'm not sold on Ripley as a girls' name, partially because it was our boy name last time and I really mentally prepared for a boy Ripley.

(I would welcome any thoughts on Ripley as a girls' name. I won't get offended!)

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

Our daughter is named Piper Ingrid so we're looking for something kind of similar for the next baby. We like the mix of old and new.

Our first choice for a boy (though we're still mulling it over) is Ripley Burnett. Both are family names, one from my husband's side and one from my side.
For girls we're much more torn. My husband thinks Ripley could work for a girl too, in which case we could do Ripley Eleanor (both family names again), but I'm not sold on Ripley as a girls' name, partially because it was our boy name last time and I really mentally prepared for a boy Ripley.

(I would welcome any thoughts on Ripley as a girls' name. I won't get offended!)
well, ripley makes me think of sigourney weaver's character in aliens. of course, that was her last name, but what everyone called her. and she was a totally KICK ASS woman! so i say, go for it! i actually think i prefer it for a woman. i like women's names that could be/are men's names (i've got one myself). oh, and love eleanor with it.

LOVE piper ingrid too! i know what you mean about wanting the children's names to go together. i want that too.

#16 ·
Quote:

I think we may have discussed this, but our dd is Piper too...Piper Valen. 2 shouts for "Piper"! And I love the name Ingrid. As far as Ripley for a girls name, I agree with Samstress, it is a great strong name for a girl! And could definitely go either way.

#17 ·
I'm not sure except that I love the name Abigail because it means Father's Joy and my husband is just beside himself with joy over this pregnancy. It's so popular now, however, that I'd probably need to use it as a middle name. My kids voted on baby names (apparently if I let them name the dog this way, it works for a baby too.... lol) and the winners were Lilly and Noah.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemamameg View Post

I think we may have discussed this, but our dd is Piper too...Piper Valen. 2 shouts for "Piper"! And I love the name Ingrid. As far as Ripley for a girls name, I agree with Samstress, it is a great strong name for a girl! And could definitely go either way.
another piper -- i love it! gee, i wish we didn't have this silly monosyllabic name rule. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_girl View Post

I'm not sure except that I love the name Abigail because it means Father's Joy and my husband is just beside himself with joy over this pregnancy. It's so popular now, however, that I'd probably need to use it as a middle name. My kids voted on baby names (apparently if I let them name the dog this way, it works for a baby too.... lol) and the winners were Lilly and Noah.
i love abigail (and the meaning -- how lovely).

#20 ·
Quote:

....so that looks weird "cool! My sister passed away..."

I meant cool that he gets a lot of compliments and that there aren't a lot of other Emmetts. Ovbi not cool about my sister :-/
Sorry about your sister :(

I will add that I have a niece named Emma and she gets called Emmett and he gets called Emma...so there is definitely a connection there.

#22 ·
So far our short list is Phoebe Hope for a girl and Asher David for a boy. We have a crazy Hungarian last name (thanks to dh, lol) so we'd like the first name to be unique but simple.
Our daughter is Willow Lynn (Lynn being both of her grandmother's middle names) and I love using family names as middle names.

#23 ·
We have had Caroline Elizabeth picked for a girl since our first pregnancy but I'm not 100% on Caroline yet... Elizabeth is a family name that I'm pretty set on... I'm also considering Sophia as it was my grandma's name and she passed away last year. I also like Grace.

For a boy Asher and Levi are my top picks. I have learned though that I can pick names all I want and in the end it might not fit the baby and we will have to start from scratch once he/she is born.

I also love Kohen, but I don't think my husband does...

#26 ·
Quote:

I would welcome any thoughts on Ripley as a girls' name. I won't get offended!
This is just how I feel about it, so take it with a grain of salt ;) I grew up with the name Jordan when it was still not widely used for girls (I'm 26) and I hated it. I still don't like it, I wish I had a more feminine name. Even now when I write emails people assume I'm a boy. DH loves the name Elliot for a girl, but I will never give my daughters gender neutral names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannabee View Post
Our daughter is Willow Lynn (Lynn being both of her grandmother's middle names) and I love using family names as middle names.
That's so pretty. I like family names as middle names, too.

DH and I have very different taste in names, so all these names were hard won! And I'm still worried he'll change his mind, because he does that. But for a girl we like Evangeline and Adelaide (we also like Elodie, but I like it pronounced El-a-dee and he likes it pronounced el-OH-dee (like Melody)) and for a boy we like Arthur and Orrin. For a girl we will do the middle name Virginia, which was my grandmother's name and also the name of the street DH and I met on. For a boy probably Edward, my dad's middle name. If we choose Evangeline Virginia we can call her Ginny!

I figure a name will just "click". It definitely did with both of our others. I had planned on naming DD Ruby Belle but by 12 weeks I just knew she was a Clementine. With Malcolm it was the only boy name we agreed on. I didn't even know if I liked it, but I could tell it was his name. I love it now, of course. So our current kids are Clementine Louise and Malcolm Michael. Louise was my grandma's middle name and Michael is my dad's name. It's also DH's dad's name, but that isn't why we picked it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.