Mothering Forum banner

May Chat!

2K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  MamaMem 
#1 ·
Wow. We're really closing in on Go Time.

How is everything going?

#2 ·
Birth kit - I've picked up a few things here and there. I need to process/grind my goldenseal (in root form still) at some point. I have my cord tie worked up, a rice pack, a birth box stuffed with Chux and Depends. Lanacane (?), witch hazel, and Poise pads so I can make postpartum ice packs for the girly bits. NB diapers, both prefolds and disposables, and prepped wool. I've printed out a copy of Emergency Childbirth and have it in a binder with all of the necessary paperwork in case of hospital transfer. Closer to birth, I'm going to throw together a folder of primary copies of all of our important paperwork (birth certificates, home title, marriage license, vaccination records, etc) so I can grab it and stick it in the binder in case of transfer/for birth-certificate purposes. I actually managed to find the childhood vaccination records for both my husband and myself, so we can point to that and say we've been vaccinated for Hep B in case we transfer and they try to force the Hep B vaccine on the baby. Sigh.

Gifts for doula and midwife - Work in progress. I need to pick up a few more items, I think.

Doula - Grrrr. My husband won't be present for the birth, so having a doula was a no-brainer for me. (If he's home when I'm in labor, he'll remain with me until the midwife arrives - our first birth was VERY quick, and I told him that I at least want an extra pair of hands in case we have an unplanned UC.) I tried to deliberately find a doula who needed/wanted births toward certification, as I know how tough it is to get your name out there unless you have connections. Despite leaving my contact information with several organizations who worked with training doulas - sometimes leaving it twice - nobody has called me. I sent out an e-mail today to a doula I've met in the past, but I'm quite frustrated about the situation.

Midwife - I'm mostly on my own for this pregnancy. She's only a phone call or message away, but she's very hands-off, which is lovely. I feel like this is closer to a UP than a "traditional" prenatal period, which I love. I'm keeping an eye on my BP and my weight gain/eating - does anyone have any tips for measuring your own fundal height? I forgot to ask for a definite "start measuring HERE" point, especially as I can no longer see past my gigantic belly.

Pretty certain that I'm dealing with irritable uterus, although I don't know if that's an actual "thing" or one of those "oh, that's just psychosomatic" issues. I had a very similar experience during my first pregnancy, so I'm not actually panicking this time as I was the first time. ("Braxton-Hicks aren't supposed to hurt! I'M 24 WEEKS, I CAN TIME MY CONTRACTIONS, AND IT HURTS SO BADLY THAT I CAN'T GET OUT OF THE CHAIR.") Nausea's mostly gone, but ugh heartburn.

As far as baby shopping, I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a stroller I love but probably won't use on my own (Quinny Zapp). With my first, I had a super lightweight stroller that was comfortable for me to use because I'm a tiny little thing, but my (taller) parents complained that it was uncomfortable for them to push on vacations because of the height. I did babywearing with my first child, but I'm contemplating getting this stroller just to use with family and in the airport, and possibly selling my first one. I also need to come up with some sort of bath arrangement - tummy tub or blooming bath? The standard "baby tub" was cumbersome, and I need something for the time before I can put the baby in a laundry basket in the bathtub/with my older child for supervised bathtime. Everything else, I'm pretty much set.

I'm getting ready to close the birth bead swap form tonight, so PLEASE sign up if you are interested, and feel free to tell other group members about it!

#3 ·
Caled--when they measure my fundal height they just start the tape from the top of my pubic bone and then poke around up top to see where the babies end. I'm measuring 36 weeks right now, which is about when I started getting stretch marks with DD--and lo! Here we are again! So annoying with the itchiness--I'm over the aesthetics, since that ship has sailed. Just hoping I don't get PUPPPS again! Also, we had one of those fancy european bath bucket things with DD and practically killed her the first time we gave her a bath. A friend recommended just getting a bath sponge (they sell them at any of the box stores for about 7 bucks) and putting her in the regular tub. It worked great! Just put in a few inches of water, plop them on the sponge, and cover with a warm wet towel and you're good to go. I imagine it would work fine in a kitchen sink, too.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips! Just got to FIND my pubic bone now... :)

The bath sponge idea sounds great. Thank you! We had a half-tub/garden tub for our first, and that was just beautiful for bathing. I miss that house.

For itching - I've been experiencing similar. Lush Dream Cream is literally the only thing that's been working for me. If you haven't yet tried it, Lush will usually scoop out some from their tester and give you a sample pot to try at home. I actually got to the point where my upper belly/bump felt like it had a constant sunburn, and any sort of pressure was extremely painful. I picked up a pot of Dream Cream and I've been using it regularly, and it's really calmed the discomfort and irritation.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear of the itchiness. I have minor stretching itchiness, but nothing like you two ladies are describing. Luckily, I did not get any stretch marks with dd so i am hoping for the same luck this time around, but i am so much bigger this pregnancy. Measuring right on, but when I compare photos, I look about 6 weeks further along in all my photos, funny. So who knows if i will escape them this go around.

Caled, I hope you can find a doula soon. That must be frustrating. How come your hubby doesn't want to be at the birth? Or is it you who would rather him not be there? If it is too personal, you can ignore the question, but i am curious.

My birth kit arrived in the mail yesterday, which is pretty exciting. My mom was up visiting last weekend and we got a ton of baby organizing done. She had washed and organized all of dd's newborn stuff for me and brought it up, most of which is gender neutral. We picked out the first outfit, got together towels, washcloths, diapers, and made an extensive list of everything on the midwifes list that I still have to buy. It seems much more real that I am now preparing for the birth.

I also just met with my core group of ladies and we went over some songs that will be sung at my blessingway and threw around some ideas of which traditions and rituals we will incorporate in it. I am planning on having the blessingway for dd as well, as she is transitioning too. So it was fun to come up with ideas of ways to bless her. My friend had a wonderful idea of giving her a mirror to look at while we all took turns telling her about her good qualities that will make her a great big sister. I also decided that instead of everyone bringing an item for a mobile or a candle for Native American birth cake, that we will provide everyone who comes with a regular birthday candle that they can put their intention into and then we can use them on the cake or pie that dd and her caregiver make while i am in labor...and sing happy birthday to the baby after the birth. I also want to do the yarn thing where everyone wraps a bit of yarn around their wrist while giving tribute to their matriarchal lineage. For example, "I am Meg, mother of Piper, daughter of Karol, granddaughter of Alice and Lena, great granddaughter of Celia, Emma, Antonia, and Esther". Then we all cut the yarn and wear it on our wrist until the baby is born. This is one of those traditions that seems to happen at most blessingways that I have gone to that I love the most.

Hey Mares, how long till the closing? You must be getting excited!!!!

It is hard to believe that *technically* I could have a legal homebirth in 5 weeks, WHOA, here it comes. Although, I don't think i will. I am pretty sure i will go at least another 7 weeks. Gosh, that still seems close. Oh boy!

#6 ·
Meg - Still haven't heard back from any doulas. I did just e-mail one this morning, so it wouldn't surprise me if I woke up to an e-mail tomorrow. I've really been holding off on outright contacting one or another doula because I wanted to help a doula-in-training - I mean, if you have an experience that you can't actually schedule (like a birth), and you don't require specialized characteristics, and your experience will help someone else - why not, right? I don't know if my information just isn't being passed around, or if someone dropped the ball somewhere, but I'm at the point where I just can't wait any longer.

My husband won't be at the birth. His job has him more or less "on call" 24/7 with very little notice with regard to travel. Usually he knows roughly what might pop up over the next week or so, but it's very unpredictable and he could be called out at pretty much any time. He was present for the birth of our first. I come from a very medical family and babies and medical stuff are just commonplace, whereas the last three babies in my husband's family were my husband, our first child, and the one I'm carrying now. He doesn't do blood or "medical stuff", and was really uncomfortable during our first's birth - and ended up giving me counterpressure as I was pushing, so he quite literally saw everything. He said that seeing one birth was seeing one birth too many. :) My in-laws have no desire to be present (assuming I'd be okay with their presence) and my family is on the other side of the country, although I do plan to Skype with a few close family members during my labor in lieu of having them with me.

I don't mind - the plan is, if he's home, he'll wait until the midwife arrives, then take tiny.human and leave until the birth is done. If he's not home, I'll have my in-laws pick up our child if it's daytime - if it's nighttime, I'll just let tiny.human be unless tiny gets very uncomfortable and scared. I feel like I really can't make much of a concrete "plan" because birth is so unpredictable. I'm fine with him not being there. He keeps me calm when I'm stressed or upset day-to-day (my mother actually called him a few weeks ago so he could break the news to me that one of my pets back home passed away), but my first birth was a totally different animal, and I spent most of it alone. I'm content, and he's happier without having to be there. My only request was that he wait until the midwife arrives so I'm not alone - I went from 2cm to birth in about 20 minutes with our first, and our midwife lives half an hour away without traffic. It's entirely feasible that she might not make it on time. I've got Emergency Childbirth all printed out and tabbed with Post-Its for reference. :)

I'm a little jealous of your blessingway! I just moved "here", I don't really have a local base of friends and family. That sounds like so much fun. :)

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemamameg View Post

My birth kit arrived in the mail yesterday, which is pretty exciting. My mom was up visiting last weekend and we got a ton of baby organizing done. She had washed and organized all of dd's newborn stuff for me and brought it up, most of which is gender neutral. We picked out the first outfit, got together towels, washcloths, diapers, and made an extensive list of everything on the midwifes list that I still have to buy. It seems much more real that I am now preparing for the birth.
Everyone seems so prepared! Caled, you seem so very organized. I feel very under prepared in a non-desperate way.
:o

What is a birth kit?

We have a few things here and there for the baby...mainly just a couple of boxes of clothes and some blankets. We'll see what we have in the collection after the baby shower at the end of May. My husband is starting to construct the baby changing table this week. We're starting to prepare a meal a week and freeze it, making bread and freezing it, etc. If we make and freeze one meal a week until the baby is born, we will have enough dinners for two weeks. In-laws/mother will be here the whole month of August-so thought it'd be nice to have some things to just pop in the oven.

It is all starting to feel pretty real, for sure.

#8 ·
farmes - Ha, thanks. I'll be traveling for a few weeks and I tend to pick up things when I see them, AND this baby was planned, so I've been amassing things for ages. I can't find my (awesome) double electric pump for some reason, but I happened to find a Medela double electric at a consignment sale, AND a package of new accessories, both half-price - got the whole thing for about $10. I was amazed. I really only pump for an emergency stash or to donate, but I feel much better just having it available, especially if I can't find my other one.

A birth kit is basically everything you would need or be required to have on-hand for a home birth. Some midwives have their kits already compiled online. Some midwives provide a kit for you, and you just purchase it from them. Some, like my midwife, just have a list of suggested items. My birth kit contains (and I might forget a few things here but) a cord tie, Chux pads, cleaning items/contractor trash bags, a colander/bowl for placenta, a fishy net for the bathtub, bleach or similar (I have a jet bathtub that may or may not be used - we'd refill it post-birth and run bleach through the tub and jets), a few herbal items to help with bleeding as well as cord sealing, herbal sacks for postpartum sitz baths... I have Depends, I need to pick up some throwaway underwear, I need to turn my Poise pads into postpartum ice pads at some point, I need to constantly be brewing iced tea to have on-hand...

Just think of all the things that would be used over the course of a birth, and think about what would or wouldn't be necessary if birthing at home, where you don't have hospital staff to clean up after you or provide the items. I'm also putting together some gift bags for my midwife and doula, to help them feel comfortable in my home (they might be there for a short while or a long while, during the day or at night, etc). I've got any paperwork I might need for a transfer or for legal paperwork, so I don't need to hunt for it after the baby is born. I need to ensure that my camera battery is charged and that I've got the lenses that I want to use, and that I have a spare memory card handy. Same for small video camera and batteries. Basically, if I don't want to hunt for it when I'm in labor or after I've just given birth, it needs to be nearby and easily accessible. Diaper/s, wool, shirt for the baby, hat if we have the AC going, spare blankets and swaddle blankets (I've been finding hospital swaddle blankets at thrift stores and buying those - they really work well, and they aren't too "pretty" so we won't worry about staining from the cord sealing herbs or anything else really). I probably won't need a fair amount of things I've got, but I'd rather have them and be able to say, "In my birth kit," than have to rummage around when I'm laboring.

ETA - I will say - we had our first when we were VERY young, so we got our "ah, panic!" out at that time. Aside from the physical discomfort, this pregnancy has been a cakewalk in terms of stress levels. I'm so nonchalant.

#9 ·
Caled--my wife would LOVE to get a free pass out of being at the birth, I think. She'd feel conflicted about it, but she was pretty traumatized by being at the first one, and she didn't really even see too much. But I need her there, and I think she'd actually get more freaked out by being someplace else and not knowing how things are going, so a little PTSD is just going to have to be dealt with, I guess.

Turtle--that sounds like a nice thing to do! I keep trying to decide if I want to do maternity photo shoot with our friends this time. We did last time and it was really fun. I was thinking something with DD and lots of fingerpaint on my belly and being outside, but it's still so cold and gross out that it hasn't been appealing. Maybe I'll talk to her about planning it for June and if we get that far we'll do it.

Farmes-good for you! I'm an obsessive planner, so I don't feel ok about anything unless it's been checked off at least two lists. Some other things to think about throwing into the freezer are desserts and breakfast food, especially things that you can hold in one hand (mini-quiches, breakfast calzones, etc). I found that lots of people wanted to bring or make meals, not so many had planned breakfast (and no one was up as early as I was anyway) or dessert, both of which felt very necessary to me with DD.

I am in shock that I have 8 weeks left at the outside. The OB said yesterday that the most likely induction date will be the evening of July 1, so that's my goal! We may see how things are going at that point to decide if it's necessary or if I can wait a little longer, but for now I'm trying to get to that date! My dad is killing me with his schedule, though. I need him to finish framing out the boys' new bedroom before we can pay someone to drywall and paint, and he had some big church thing come up and can't come until next Thursday now. My thwarted nesting instincts are not pleased! I just want to get their room set up and finished and ready to go so I can stop thinking about it, but I guess I need to be a little more patient.
greensad.gif

#10 ·
prettyisa- Great idea on the breakfast options! I love having company and cooking for people, so this preparing in advance and freezing really is the next best option as I know that I won't be up for "entertaining." My in-laws love to cook, but my mother on the other hand is more of a tuna casserole, hamburger gravy kind of lady (don't get me wrong, I love those things!), so I definitely want some variety in there. Quiches and calzones are a great idea. Mmm.

My midwife should be giving me a list of all the things that I'll need. I'm not due until the end of July, so its not quite as pressing as it is for you early folks. I didn't know women got so freaked out by birth! I worry about my husband freaking out a bit to be honest. He can't stand when I'm in any pain and always wants to make things better. It will just be him and the midwife for our birth- if the baby is on time. He is due July 30th and my in-laws will be arriving Aug 2nd.

Also, for you experienced moms, what will the after-birth bleeding be like? How long will it last, will it be super heavy, etc? I think you all have encouraged me to email my midwife and ask for the suggested list. I'd like to start collecting things here or there so I don't have to do it all at once.

#11 ·
You'll want to get some heavy pads for the lochia. I've heard that Depends and similar are great, because you don't have to worry about the pad moving. Comfortable "granny panties" (the kind that are like 10/$5) or something you don't have to worry about staining will also help. There are tutorials easily found online (try Pinterest) that explain how to make your own postpartum ice pack pads. You can also buy them online or from medical supply stores. Have plenty. If you use cloth pads, make certain that you have postpartum/heavy flow ones, even if you don't normally use them during your cycle. Having something for soaking, like a $1 dishpan and an appropriate cleaner, should help with the staining. I've also heard things about using moist heat instead of ice/cold - you may want to research this on your own. And a peri bottle or something similar is GREAT. Tucks/hemorrhoid pads are great for swelling, and an external analgesic spray can help with sensitivity or stitches. My midwife doesn't do them, as far as I recall - yours may be different. Ask your midwife what people find helpful.

From what I understand, C-sections will suction out most of the lochia - but for anyone giving birth vaginally, it lasts longer than a regular menstrual cycle and can be VERY heavy. Your midwife should advise you of anything concerning ("Call me if..."). I did notice that increased physical activity, regardless of how I personally felt, increased lochia flow and color. I intend to take it VERY easy for the first week or so at minimum, even if I'm getting cabin fever. Clots are normal and can vary in size - again, midwife should advise you on what she feels are concerns. Colors will vary - bright and red initially, and then fading at the end to a clear-ish discharge, but that takes days if not weeks.

#12 ·
Wow, you ladies already have so much prepared. Amazing! I cannot even seem to focus on the basics yet. I have been postponing to get baby clothes out for washing because I would not even know where to put them right now. We still have to make changes to our sleeping arrangement as well to fit the cradle back into our bedroom. I yet have to assemble some essential oils and homeopathic remedies for the birth. I did find my Eagles CD though, that I would like to listen to while birthing. I am meeting with my midwife next week to discuss more details about the home birth. Getting a bit nervous on that part though esp. with baby still flopping around so much. I really wish the head would settle down. Otherwise I am so busy with my 2, household chores, garden etc., I just cannot seem to find time work on a birth plan.

#13 ·
Farmes, I might encourage you and dh to watch a few homebirths on you tube or get a video or something, so that he knows what to expect. I know it is different with a 4 year old and a grown man, but my daughter and I have been watching lots of births and talking about pain and blood alot. I want to sort of desensitize her to the more difficult parts. I remember before I had dd, dh and I watched Gentle Birth Choices and The Business of Being Born...and I think it helped him a lot to visualize what it might be like and what is normal. I had apprenticed with a hb midwife for 5 years and attended 25 or so births, so I had lots of prep, but it might be great for you too. Just food for thought.

Also, my mw gave me the homebirth prep packet at 28 weeks, so you will probably get it at your next visit anyway. Although, I just started to look at it this weekend with my mom at 31 weeks. You still have plenty of time. Our birth kit was a prepared specific kit that my midwife has through a birth web company and all I had to do was type in her code and pay. It's the other list that is a bit more time consuming to acquire/put together, like all the towels and washcloths and outfit, diapers, cord care, arnica, etc...It is this list that I have now begun to fill. I want it all put together by June 1st, so that I am not having to do anything the last month of pregnancy except get the crops in the ground that need to be planted and rest...and feel like I can go any time and I am ready. I went a bit early with dd, but my luck I will go late with this one. Who knows!

Lastly, I always wished that families would have done this when I attended their births, but seldom did...have food prepared for your labor team, like cheese and crackers, hummus, fruit, chips, whatever. I can remember being so f'n hungry at births and not wanting to bother the laboring couple, running out of my own snacks at super long labors and being SOL! I plant to keep those raw materials around and use early labor to prepare a huge snack tray for anyone who is hungry.

#14 ·
AHHHHH, you guys are so prepared!!!! I ordered a few new diapers :) but that is it. I will probably wait until after school gets out the first week of June to get any baby stuff out and ready, our house is small and packed as it is, and I don't have room for much (not that babies need much) :) I am not really buying anything for this baby, so I just have to pull out the co-sleeper, the tubs of newborn clothes and diapers, and hang my baby hammock up.

I need to work on some freezer meals. I find I really need them the last month or so as much or more than right after the baby is born.

I bought a bunk bed for DD#3 and 5, so we need to get it put together and in their room, so I can start encouraging #5 to sleep in her own bed a little more. We still have the crib side carred and she takes naps in it and spend 1/2-3/4 of the night in it. But our last few weekends have been too busy and I can't get the current bed out of the room by myself (heavy bed frame and steep narrow stairs)

#15 ·
turtlemamameg - Anything you might suggest for a home birth that we might not have touched on yet?

I e-mailed a doula the morning of 5/1 regarding availability and giving some basic information (homebirth, second child, roughly where I live). I've met her in the past and mentioned that. I haven't yet heard back from her. ...Do I just wait for her to respond or do something else in the meantime - and when?

I'm really getting a bad taste in my mouth with regard to the doula situation. I've spoken to I don't know how many people about how I'm looking for a doula and how I'd love to help someone get a birth toward certification. I've spoken to doula groups, heads of birth organizations, specific people, etc - given out my contact information plenty of times and I haven't had a single person respond despite plenty of enthusiasm at the time. There have also been a few events specifically for expecting/parents and I've put my name and information down on several lists and - nothing. Not a peep from anyone.

#16 ·
~I like to get 2 sets of sheets washed and ready, along with one of those flannel backed vinyl table cloths and make the bed in early labor with the nice (postpartum) sheets on first, followed by table cloth, followed by birth sheets, just in case I birth in the bed.

~a bunch of old ratty receiving blankets

~clean towels and wash cloths

~wipes (I use washcloths cut in 1/2 and zig zag the cut edge (I like the texture) and a peri bottle of oily water)

~bulb syringe

~olive oil

~ingredients to make electrolyte beverage (honey, lemon, salt, etc..)

#17 ·
Seems crazy that some of you are "so close" to the end. But I guess we all get there one day at a time...

Someone mentioned measuring 36 weeks and stretchmarks. I am 28 weeks and have measured 37 cm for 3 weeks now? Something like that. However, this time my stomach muscles are fairly well together and I am curious what kind of stretch marks I will get. I have not yet "pulled out" the bulk of my old ones. With my last babe I did not get any new ones till 37 weeks or so.

I am an overweight mama. Yet, bc my stomach muscles are solid, I have a very nicely defined round baby belly. I love it! this is my last birth in all likelihood and I always wished I could have such a "classic" bump. <3

I sorted out my newborn clothes the other day. I have neat piles of exactly thus and so on the guest room bed. But nothing is washed. If having diapers were all I needed to do,I would be ready tomorrow! I officially have way too many! :D Well, I mean more than one HAS to have... I have collected lightly used form friends who are not longer diapering. I washed some up yesterday and hung them on the line. Yummy!!! I did get all my blankets made ( simple flannel squared serged for hemming). I really only need to decide what i want for first clothes.

To those of you who have been to others births and wished for more food. Tell me what to have. This time I am having a home birth so in my mind the sky is the limit on what i could have on hand...

Dh is threatening to clean our room today. Maybe I will tell him that is ok IF he will also move the baby dresser in there. HA!

#18 ·
Quote:

Farmes, I might encourage you and dh to watch a few homebirths on you tube or get a video or something, so that he knows what to expect. I know it is different with a 4 year old and a grown man, but my daughter and I have been watching lots of births and talking about pain and blood alot. I want to sort of desensitize her to the more difficult parts. I remember before I had dd, dh and I watched Gentle Birth Choices and The Business of Being Born...and I think it helped him a lot to visualize what it might be like and what is normal. I had apprenticed with a hb midwife for 5 years and attended 25 or so births, so I had lots of prep, but it might be great for you too. Just food for thought.

Also, my mw gave me the homebirth prep packet at 28 weeks, so you will probably get it at your next visit anyway. Although, I just started to look at it this weekend with my mom at 31 weeks. You still have plenty of time. Our birth kit was a prepared specific kit that my midwife has through a birth web company and all I had to do was type in her code and pay. It's the other list that is a bit more time consuming to acquire/put together, like all the towels and washcloths and outfit, diapers, cord care, arnica, etc...It is this list that I have now begun to fill. I want it all put together by June 1st, so that I am not having to do anything the last month of pregnancy except get the crops in the ground that need to be planted and rest...and feel like I can go any time and I am ready. I went a bit early with dd, but my luck I will go late with this one. Who knows!

Lastly, I always wished that families would have done this when I attended their births, but seldom did...have food prepared for your labor team, like cheese and crackers, hummus, fruit, chips, whatever. I can remember being so f'n hungry at births and not wanting to bother the laboring couple, running out of my own snacks at super long labors and being SOL! I plant to keep those raw materials around and use early labor to prepare a huge snack tray for anyone who is hungry.
My midwife was asking if we wanted to watch any birthing videos. I'm the squeamish one, surprisingly, not my husband. He just doesn't like when I'm in pain and he can't do anything about it. I think in the midst of everything, he'll do good.

The business of being born was a good flick.

How many people will be there for your baby's birth? When you say the labor team, I'm imagining quite a crowd. I don't think I would have thought about snacks for the midwives, but will definitely include that for preparations.

#19 ·
I have tried to get myself to watch some birth videos but actually couldn't. I just have a blockage when it comes to that. I would like to watch the business of being born too, but it is the same. I just cannot get myself to. I have been excercising again and it feels great. Other than that, I guess I will just trust my instincts and rely on my body's knowledge when it comes to labor and birth.

The food stuff is a great idea. Should be common sense to provide it but guess it gets lost in the heat of the moment. I really should write out a plan. I have been procrastinating so much. Aweful! Tomorrow I should receive my list for the birth kit and hope that the motivational drive will kick in then. I have had the nesting phase kind of like from the beginning on but it was mainly cleaning, remodeling in general and the like and not so much touching any of the baby stuff yet.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post

Everyone seems so prepared! Caled, you seem so very organized. I feel very under prepared in a non-desperate way.
:o
Yes! This is me.

I have most everything for labor and delivery gathered (I'll be at the hospital), but not much for the baby. And our house is in shambles. For the first time I really started to feel panicky about that today, but I'm trying to remind myself to breathe through it. And as far as essentials for the baby I haven't had my shower yet, so I see no need to buy stuff that family and friends will be willing to buy us from the registry. We can reevaluate what we still absolutely NEED after the shower.

I can't believe how fast the little one is growing now! It's fun, but I had a lot of discomfort for the first time on Saturday. I'm used to being in constantly, high level pain, so that was a surprise. Thankfully it passed. :)

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post

My midwife was asking if we wanted to watch any birthing videos. I'm the squeamish one, surprisingly, not my husband. He just doesn't like when I'm in pain and he can't do anything about it. I think in the midst of everything, he'll do good.

The business of being born was a good flick.

How many people will be there for your baby's birth? When you say the labor team, I'm imagining quite a crowd. I don't think I would have thought about snacks for the midwives, but will definitely include that for preparations.
Labor team...2 midwife team plus their apprentice. my mom. my daughter and her caregiver and a friend to take pictures...and dh...8 people :)

#23 ·
Hello from whiny preggo-land! I definitely hit some sort of wall this weekend. After spending too much time spring cleaning and weeding on Saturday (which was so cathartic! Things were dusted that have not been dusted in probably years!) I suddenly developed a whole pile of painful and annoying ailments. My hips were so sore in the middle of the night that my DP thought I was having contractions because of the moaning. I actually did have a couple of contractions, which makes me nervous because I didn't have any braxton hicks with my DD so it took me a minute to realize that I was not in premature labor. And suddenly my stomach appears to have moved up into my shoulders or something, because I've got heartburn even when I'm not eating. Drinking water sets it off. Whine, whine, whiiiiine. Of course the alternative to being all big and miserable and pregnant is to be not big but more miserable and in the NICU for longer, so there's nothing to do but suck it up. Thanks for giving me a place to wallow for a minute.
greensad.gif

#24 ·
Funny how different we all are. I LOVE watching birth videos. I LOVE The Business of Being Born too.

I recall a favorite of mine that I stumbled upon during my pregnancy in 2012 of a momma in Germany I believe. It was so peaceful and just lovely. She happened to be snacking on a strawberry Fage yogurt and sipping a SmartWater as well (two of my favorites!) and for some reason I just felt a connection to her over something so simple LOL Then there was another video of a mother who delivered in a rainforest practically down by a river with just her husband and children. It was really neat but I personally would be freaked out being that far from a car as they walked to the river during labor. What if something happened to go wrong?!?! u know?

Caledvwlch and Turtlemamameg - you both have shared so much useful information for preparing for the birth! I can't think of a thing to add. I will definitely be looking at these posts in the coming weeks. I love the idea of the gift bags for midwife/assistant/doula or whoever is attending the birth! I have only had one homebirth and did NOT think to do this. Definitely happening this time around! My midwife LOVES chocolate (the good stuff) and coffee. Hmmmm...I wonder why?!?! ;) And having some healthy snacks premade is just genius. I don't know why it didn't cross my mind before. Crackers, cheeses, fresh fruit and veggies are pretty much liked by all so I will probably go that route. Maybe granola, nuts and juice too. Bottled water!!! Did I even offer them water last time?!?! Yikes. Hopefully my husband was thinking more clearly than me.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

I have tried to get myself to watch some birth videos but actually couldn't. I just have a blockage when it comes to that. I would like to watch the business of being born too, but it is the same. I just cannot get myself to. I have been excercising again and it feels great. Other than that, I guess I will just trust my instincts and rely on my body's knowledge when it comes to labor and birth.
If you have Netflix, The Business of Being born is on there. I don't recall there being anything that really made me squeamish. Just for the most part, informative.

Quote:

Labor team...2 midwife team plus their apprentice. my mom. my daughter and her caregiver and a friend to take pictures...and dh...8 people :)
Wow! That is quite the crowd. Sounds like you'll have a great group of folks there to support you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.