June! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
June!

Well I hope folks make it back this way after all the website confusion!

How is everyone?

I'm beginning to find it difficult to focus at work. It's hard not to think about next month!

I started washing baby stuff this weekend. My husband tried out the satellite phone while at work on Sunday to see if it was ready when things happen to make sure I can get ahold of him. I think he is starting to get nervous about me not being able to when the time comes.

My back is starting to kill me which I've been worried about since the beginning of pregnancy. Have an old injury that flares up if my abs get too weak. Have been fine but suddenly yesterday my back started hurting on the right side which is where baby has been residing and I assume, adding extra weight. Did some yoga yesterday to stretch it out. I've suddenly become scared of back labor when I do go into labor. My mother had it with her first and when I get stressed, that's where I feel it first. I'll prepare for the worst but hope for the best! (whine, whine)

Random question: if you breast feed, do you need pacifiers? I never had one as a kid and I wasn't breast fed... Sucked my thumb til 12, though! My niece had one until 5 and her teeth are a bit messed up by it. Just wondering if we should even have any. Thoughts?
#2 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi! Started getting painful BH contractions last night which freaked us out (and got us to clean the house again! bonus!) but they are gone now, so just a false alarm. I really want these kids to wait another week or three.

You can try pacifiers, if you want to. There are good and bad points to them, and your kid might decide they don't like them anyway. In my case, we tried them with DD, but she's a thumb sucker (the boys appear to be, too, in utero, which is where their sister started) and never wanted them. My sister had to wear a retainer when she was a toddler because she was too attached to her paci--I never used one, but the joke's on me, because after her stint with the retainer as a kid she has had PERFECT teeth, and I had to have braces, retainers, the whole mess. So I think it might not be the solution to avoid them. It seems pretty even in terms of pro/con, as far as I can tell. Although pacis are easier to take away when you want them to stop, thumbs are always with them, so there's no frantic pulling over to the side of the road every time the darn thing falls out of their mouth.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#3 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Glad it was just a false alarm! Hope you don't plan to clean the house while in true labor.

Husband and I were both thumb suckers. I wonder if it's hereditary.
#4 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I started having we-mean-business contractions on Thursday. They settled down, Friday was pretty good but still iffy, Saturday was a very nice day and had only a few very light one. Yesterday I was contracting at breakfast. I took a long magnesium and epsom bath and went back to bed. By 10:30 they stopped and stayed away all day. Till 5:30-ish and then they were every 30 minutes for a few hours.

This morning being up and sitting for an hour brought on contractions so now I am on bed rest for 2 weeks. ugh. Seems I have about 30 minute tolerance for being upright, then i have to lay down. (and since I have a very low lying placenta (but no more previa), I cannot even recline on my bed. It is full out on my side only. )

Thank God I got my baby laundry washed. I have some cleaning that must be done before my help comes. I also have a bunch of sewing projects I have been saving till now. HA! Looks like that backfired. Argh.

I just feel grumpy.

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#5 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I go back and forth....Sometimes I want this kid to just GTFO, and sometimes I freak out that I am not ready. Since my first was late, I am told it is likely this one will be late too. I'm crabby as heck and not doing a very good job of focusing at work. Or at home... DD has probably been getting a little too much screen time but by the time I get home I am just DONE.

I go through spurts of BH contractions that make me think we are getting close, then days I feel none. I guess all we can do at this point is just deal, right?
#6 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Happy June!

We did loads of baby prep this weekend, got the car detailed, bought a carseat and some other baby stuff that added up to an extraordinary amount of money somehow, deep cleaned the house, planted flowers, washed all the baby clothes and prepped all the diapers, set up nanny interviews and made some freezer meals. I'm exhausted and back at work yay!

It's been hard for me to focus at work too lately. So many things I'd rather be doing. My back is hurting a lot too farmes. Yesterday after cooking food for what seemed like forever I felt like I had just climbed a mountain or something. A warm bath helped, but for someone who isn't used to back pain I felt like a big baby. My wife is so used to me being tough and independent she doesn't know what to do with me when I'm out of commission.

Everyone is having lots of contractions, we must all be really close. Sometimes I am used to contracting every 5 minutes, and sometimes it drives me crazy. At least they are still mostly painless I guess. Just two more weeks. We have an appointment with the OB today to do one last ultrasound and then schedule the caesarean. It looks like it will be June 23rd though.

Here is a pic of the mural so far. It has quite a ways to go but I'll be working on it a lot this week now that everything else is done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4416 (1024x768).jpg (451.2 KB, 11 views)

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#7 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Same here with the BH contractions. They got a little spurred due to being bloated. Drank some tea and rubbed my belly with a lavender oil mix and it is all resolved today. Feeling good so far. Though it is very hot at the moment. The kids would love to stay in the pool but mom cannot even breathe outside.

Got my home birth kit together mainly. The emergency hospital bag is half-way packed. Baby clothes is all washed and ready. DH is working on our bathroom. Hopefully he will get it all taken care of by the end of the week. Counting down, hoping for baby to stay inside a while longer. It is still another 4 weeks to due date and I am not cleared for home birth until mid-next week plus my mw is still on vacation. So I have been trying to take it easy too and rest more than usual. There are still a few appointments lingering this week and I am just hoping for the best.

It has been tough at nights though to find a good position to be sleeping in. On top of that DD2 keeps waking up at around 3ish am and keeps me awake for hours. This has been going on for over a week now and I haven't figured out why. Well full moon is only 3 days away but that would be really early. On top of that my teeth were hurting last night which is usually a sign of heavy rain or storm but the weather report shows no such thing. Really awkward.

So hang in there all you mommas for the last couple of weeks. Take it easy and rest up a bit and give yourselves some care too.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#8 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I don't have time to reply to everything right now, but wanted to say I really don't think thumb sucking is hereditary - I sucked my thumb until I was 11 or 12. Neither of my two have ever shown the slightest interest in sucking their thumbs. I've also found that with nursing on demand (which we do, but of course isn't right for everyone) there is never really a need for a pacifier. I do sometimes reach back and let the baby suck on my pinky in the car, while I'm driving. But they wouldn't take a pacifier for car trips. That's the only time I can think that it might have been useful for us.

I think there's some safety issue with newborns and pacifiers. Aren't you supposed to wait until 6 weeks or something? I forget. It may just be to wait until nursing is well established to avoid nipple confusion. Babies suck a pinky the same way they do a nipple, whereas pacifiers and bottles are different.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#9 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Cleaning the house in early labor is a birthing tradition around here! LOL. Last time I didn't have "Early labor" so it was done in very active labor during the little time I had before transition. I remember scrubbing the heck out of the toilet between ctx because I couldn't stand the thought of the birth team seeing it like that!

Its lonely over here due at the end of the month! Seems most everyone is darn close to "full term" and I'm only 34 weeks tomorrow. Feels like I still have an eternity. I think I'll get around to ordering the birth kit today though. Has anyone ever used a cord ring? I plan to add this http://www.inhishands.com/cord-band-cetro/ to my order. I asked my midwife if she's ever used one and she hasn't, said she prefers the plastic clamps (will, of course, use what *i* prefer) but I always hate the plastic clamps! I'm just wondering if they come with instructions for use? Looking at it I have no idea how it works, and if my mw has never used one I have no idea if her midwife brain will be like, "well duh, obviously it goes on like this...." or if she will be confused by it because she's never done it before?

Also, AFTEREASE!!! Seriously, is anyone on baby 3? I didn't feel any after pains with my first (c-section, so I was medicated after with just ibuprofin, so that could be why) with the 2nd, i definitely had them and they weren't comfortable but they were bearable. With my 3rd, hoooly crap, I never got around to ordering afterease and just used cramp bark that i found locally, which worked good, but seriously: with baby #3 and beyond, cramp bark/afterease is *not* optional.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#10 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

It's kind of funny because a lady at work on Friday asked if I planned on taking any time off before the baby was due and I said no because I feel great. Got jinxed. Today my back hurts and I feel a bit swollen even though I'm super hydrated. Seems like that's been happening a lot lately. At my last midwife appointment she asked if I'd been having heartburn, which I hadn't for a bit. Couple of days later, it came back with a vengeance and had to go get more papaya extract.

Mamamem- At least you have all the important things finished, even if you didn't get to your projects! There will be time when you feel better. Sorry to hear about your bed rest, you must be frustrated.

Kate- I hear you. Pretty much feel the same way. Today is a, I'd like my body back day, however I don't really mean that, as the biscuit is not done baking. In about 3 1/2 weeks!

Redrock- Beautiful mural! What talent. Did you use a projector or is that free hand? So cool. BTW, back pain can bring a woman to her knees-I'd never wish it on anyone.

Min-Good advice about resting! I'm going to take it...after I go for a walk.
Mares-I was slightly kidding about thumb sucking being hereditary. Guess just more curious if I'd regret not getting any pacifiers or not. Seems like if a kid doesn't have one, he's typically sucking on some combination of his fingers.

Lilstar-I'm having no contractions, as I presume it's still too early. Seems like you're due close to me (I'm due the 30th), have you been having any?
#11 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 05:20 PM

I'm also due at the end of the month! It seems so far away - it's crazy to me to hear others that are so close to meeting their babies! I'm due the 26th - so only 33 weeks and a few days along. 7 weeks to go doesn't sound so much different than an eternity.
Lalita108 likes this.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#12 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been fighting irritable uterus for the second time, so I've been having contractions regularly since about 15 weeks or so. With my first, I was all panicky because irritable uterus basically "checks off" all of the boxes that are Things That Happen With Premature Labor except for PROM, but I'm much more relaxed with this one and I'm not even letting it bother me. Having contractions right now, actually. It's uncomfortable, but I really don't even acknowledge it, just the discomfort.

I've been cleaning up, trying to get the baby's area organized, fighting off allergies. I had a great trip recently to visit my family for the first time in close to a year, so that was nice. I really miss them. I've done a few small themed paintings to hang on the wall near where the baby will sleep, and I had my husband help me rearrange the furniture in the bedroom so that "my side" is a bit better organized and that he won't need to cross past the baby to reach his dresser.

As for pacifiers - We never used them. It was nice, because we never had to break the pacifier habit. Our first was never really "attached" to anything - pacifier or comfort object - and it made daily life much simpler. I wasn't a thumb sucker, either. Not sure about my husband, although he was formula-fed. I do think that that makes a difference, but I could be wrong.

I started Hypnobabies the other day. I know I'm rushing it a bit, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Afterease/crampbark - where do you get it, how much do you get and how do you use it (if it's a loose herb)? I've heard of arnica for afterpains as well. I'm going to be doing a bengkung binding after birth, and hopefully that will help.

My biggest concerns at this point are going full-term and having baby in a proper position for birth. I have a mental "contingency plan" for a hospital transfer but I really, really, really do not want that to happen.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#13 of 100 Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 PM

Both are herbal tinctures. Just mix with water or juice. I'm ordering the afterease from inhishands.com when i order my birth kit, and last time I got the crampbark from a local supplements store that's super close. I finished a whole bottle and needed dh to get another! So I'm definitely getting the 2oz afterease, not the 1oz. It definitely works. I still had after pains but they weren't as bad. I kept up with doses during the day, but then in the middle of the night when it had been too long since I'd had any..OUCH! Its like going through labor again every time baby needs to nurse!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#14 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Both are herbal tinctures. Just mix with water or juice. I'm ordering the afterease from inhishands.com when i order my birth kit, and last time I got the crampbark from a local supplements store that's super close. I finished a whole bottle and needed dh to get another! So I'm definitely getting the 2oz afterease, not the 1oz. It definitely works. I still had after pains but they weren't as bad. I kept up with doses during the day, but then in the middle of the night when it had been too long since I'd had any..OUCH! Its like going through labor again every time baby needs to nurse!
Oooh! What else are you getting from In His Hands? This is my first homebirth (first was a midwife-attended birth center birth, I didn't get any supplies on my end, and there's quite the spacing between that child and this one). My midwife hasn't been particularly specific with regard to what I need other than "mops and sops" and a few things here and there. I love how laid-back she is, but it does make it difficult to plan! I'm a planner, if you hadn't guessed by now... I would love to steal some of your knowledge, if you don't mind!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#15 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Complaining must help. After having major annoying BH all day yesterday I haven't had any today. Actually feeling pretty good! I bought myself a push present..a new camera! So I spent some time taking random pictures of my renovated house and that has been a fun distraction. Well, that and working on potty training DD. I'm not sure she is physically ready but there is a huge push for it at school, so we are giving it some work. Plus I would love to only have one in diapers...
#16 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM

So much for my teeth hurting - there is a massive storm system homing in on us like right now.

We never used pacifiers for our 2. DD1 would not even use her fingers for sucking or anything else and DD2 is a constant thumb sucker. Hopefully she will outgrow that habit since it is affecting her front teeth already. My dentist told me not to worry about it yet though. We will see.

Sitting has been quite uncomfortable these last few days but lying down is not much different. Still hot as hell here hoping that storms will cool us of a bit though.

―Socrates

#17 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledvwlch View Post
Oooh! What else are you getting from In His Hands? This is my first homebirth (first was a midwife-attended birth center birth, I didn't get any supplies on my end, and there's quite the spacing between that child and this one). My midwife hasn't been particularly specific with regard to what I need other than "mops and sops" and a few things here and there. I love how laid-back she is, but it does make it difficult to plan! I'm a planner, if you hadn't guessed by now... I would love to steal some of your knowledge, if you don't mind!

I'm mostly getting a custom birth kit, which contains:

Underpad 23 X 36, Deluxe 15
Gauze sponge, 4 X 4 12-ply (2/pkg) 6
Pad, Non-Sterile, Tabless, Adhesive (dozen) 1
Peri Bottle, 8 oz, individually wrapped 1
Plastic Cord Clamp - Sterile 1
Lube Jelly, 3 grams, sterile 6
Flexible Drinking Straws 2
Stretch Briefs - unisize 2
Tape Measure, infant, 2 ft/60 cm 1
Thermometer, digital 1
Tenderfoot Lancet 2
Foot Imprinter, deluxe reusable 1
Glove, Sterile, Medium, Single 4
Glove, Sterile, Medium, Pair

Some of that, if you weren't specifically told to get it yourself, you wouldn't need to worry about it because you would assume your mw would be bringing it herself, such as sterile gloves, tape measure, lancet, cord clamp. Other things, if you werent otherwised asked to get them, you might want to ask her if she will be bringing them. like the underpads (chux) you definitely want to have those. i prefer prefolds for pp pads, so i don't care about the massive pp pads. peri bottle, I could personally take it or leave it, but i know some people swear by them. they're dirt cheap on the website and would probably be a couple bucks at a drug store. foot imprinter isn't a "need" but its nice to have My last midwife had a minimalist style. She just used an ink pad, lol. but the foot printers made specifically for newborn footprints are cool and don't put ink all over the baby feet. the straws are a funny one. it seems like such a weird item to order from a birth supply website, but every birth kit i've ever ordered has had them! But when I think about it, it makes sense. Lots of people don't keep them in the house, wouldn't want to buy 50-100 of a disposable item they don't want to use for a couple bucks at the store when they can get 2 for just .05 each, so in that way its logical. And they really are nice to have in labor, since someone can hold a cup up to you and you should be able to drink it easily no matter what position you're in. Can you imagine being in labor and needing to adjust your position just so you can get a sip from an open cup?

They have 9x12 plastic drop cloths for $5. I considered getting one to line my bath tub (lining it will allow me to put pillows under the liner, and it will cover up the safety drain thing, so it will let me make it several inches deeper)until i checked home depot.. a 3 pack for $5! So I'll be getting that, and putting one on my bed (upstairs) one in the tub (downstairs) and one on the futon downstairs, in case i decide to get out of the water to push, then i'll have a nice place already prepped downstairs and not need to walk all the way up to bed

#18 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Anyone want to come weep with me? I am so ... something. weepy, hormonal, crabby. something. I have been on bed rest for a few days and it is just so hard I know, i know. some people do it for months, blah blah blah.

I dont care. I just want to cry. I am so done being pregnant and now that I have stuff to finish, out of the blue I have to go to bed till it is safe to deliver. So my sewing project is scattered all over the living room. NOT bc I am too tired or weary to put away. But rather bc I am covering my couches. a little hard to tuck in a corner somewhere.

Ok, I will stop whining. but feel free to come over anytime you want to whine. it's about all I am good for.

#19 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 04:58 PM

o can I add my youngests birthday is tomorrow. i did not get to pick up his gift, cant really have anyone over and have out of state family coming by on sunday. They are super special to me and we were going to go out with them. blarg.

#20 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So much conversation here that I barely have a brain to join in...I can relate to all the bh conx that many folks are feeling. All the farm work has them coming on like mad.

A bit about pacifiers and thumbsucking from my experience...As a baby myself, I nursed for only 4 months until my mom got mastitis and gave up on nursing and switched to cows milkin a bottle. I never had a pacifier and never sucked my thumb. My dd nursed on demand for 2 1/2 years, never had a pacifier and never sucked her thumb. I know there are many types out there, but I never found a use for a pacifier and dd never found a use for her finger. Though all kids are different, but neither may be necessary. If I were to have used one, it probably would have been one of those naturalrubber ones.

As far as afterbirth ctx and pains, I am hoping that regularly consuming my placenta will help and I haven't prepared anything else herbal or otherwise. My mw's suggested a tincture, but I neglected to order it. Am I fooling my self that the placenta will help. I tried to research it online, but did not get very far.

Mamamem, sorry to hear about your bed rest situation, but cooking that baby a little longer will do everyone a service, so hang in there! I can say that i totally relate though as I was on bedrest for 4 1/2 months with my last pregnancy and i know how totally frustrating it can be (4 days or 4 months), but you are in the final stretch. I am all about being crabby and whining/all-out-crying lately. Call it homones, call it pain and frustration. All I can say is that I sort of wish I was forced to sit/lay down, but instead I am still working my ass off everyday to keep on track for the farm work. My goal is to finish the major task list by Sunday and put myself on bed rest Due in 23 days, feels like an eternity.

My blessingway was Sunday and it was so amazing. I was surrounded by the most beautiful women in my community, showering me with Goddess energy and prayers and song and massage, etc. And a friend did a wonderful sister blessing for Piper that made me all out bawl my eyes out. It will be one of my most treasured memories.

Tomorrow is my home visit at 37 weeks, so most of the birth crew will be coming over in the morning, which I am really looking forward to. I never did get a chance to organize all the supplies, but they are all at least in one place. Maybe I will have a chance to do it before they arrive in the morning...after all my chores (Probably not).

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#21 of 100 Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Since this is your 2nd, You'll probably survive without cramp bark or afterease. After pains get worse with each baby, but #3 is when I've always heard (and totally true in my experience) it gets serious! I would definitely advise anyone expecting #3 to not skip it. I doubt anyone expecting #4 or beyond will need any convincing!

#22 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post

Redrock- Beautiful mural! What talent. Did you use a projector or is that free hand? So cool. BTW, back pain can bring a woman to her knees-I'd never wish it on anyone.
Thanks! It's free hand. I tried to do a projection mural with a group of kids once, that was really hard! This is the first mural I've done on my own, all the others have been community murals so it's been a fun experience.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#23 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Since this is your 2nd, You'll probably survive without cramp bark or afterease. After pains get worse with each baby, but #3 is when I've always heard (and totally true in my experience) it gets serious! I would definitely advise anyone expecting #3 to not skip it. I doubt anyone expecting #4 or beyond will need any convincing!

Cramp bark is not even available here. After my 2nd I was using Arnica and cell salt No. 7 for healing and breast feeding helped a lot to quench the pain faster. Hoping to do the same with the 3rd.

―Socrates

#24 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 AM

o mamas! forgive me. yesterday in all my whining I positively could not see the last 2 or 3 days worth of posts on this thread. I thought it seemed awfully quiet...
i'll be back later to see what y'all are up to.

#25 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 12:22 PM

I'm so tired. Oh, my gosh. I don't know that I've ever been this tired in my life.

I got the okay from my midwife to birth at 36 weeks at home. I was a little nervous on that, because my first was a 36-weeker, but that was calculating with LMP and I know my O date with this baby so I'm a little more certain of my dates this time. I've been having contractions for months so knowing that I'm "safe" to go at 36 is a big relief for me, because I know some midwives are strict at 37 weeks being the go-point.

Meeting with my doula and midwife this weekend. They've never met, so I'm hoping it goes well. I'm hoping that my husband will finish up work early and be present, but I never really know in his industry what will happen from one day to the next.

Father's Day! I can't wait for the gift I ordered for my husband to arrive. My mother adores him and bought him a gift as well. His own mother is less than ideal, so I'm really glad that he and my mother are (fairly) close. We don't really celebrate Mother's/Father's Day in our family - aaaand darn it, I just realized that I haven't yet done anything for my father. I should probably get on that.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#26 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Ooh, what did you get him? I need ideas. We don't really celebrate either (my mom was ALWAYS disappointed on Mother's Day no matter what we did. I dreaded it. I don't want my kids to feel anything even remotely similar) but I like to do a little something anyway.

Great news with the midwife!! I understand how that would be such a relief. That's a big marker for me, too. Similar feelings of relief as hitting 12 weeks safely

I'm right with you on the fatigue. My iron is good, but I am SO tired, it's just crippling. I am only 33 weeks, so I'm a little worried about what this means for the next two months. I especially feel guilt over how little parenting I'm really doing, especially with DD who is homeschooled (unschooled). And unpacking and organizing isn't happening quickly at all. We actually timed this pregnancy hoping my mom could be around to help, as she's a teacher and has summer off, but she was diagnosed with breast cancer and is starting radiation today. So not only is she out of commission (she'll finish on my due date) but I really, really wish I could be there with her.

#27 of 100 Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
Ooh, what did you get him? I need ideas. We don't really celebrate either (my mom was ALWAYS disappointed on Mother's Day no matter what we did. I dreaded it. I don't want my kids to feel anything even remotely similar) but I like to do a little something anyway.

Great news with the midwife!! I understand how that would be such a relief. That's a big marker for me, too. Similar feelings of relief as hitting 12 weeks safely

I'm right with you on the fatigue. My iron is good, but I am SO tired, it's just crippling. I am only 33 weeks, so I'm a little worried about what this means for the next two months. I especially feel guilt over how little parenting I'm really doing, especially with DD who is homeschooled (unschooled). And unpacking and organizing isn't happening quickly at all. We actually timed this pregnancy hoping my mom could be around to help, as she's a teacher and has summer off, but she was diagnosed with breast cancer and is starting radiation today. So not only is she out of commission (she'll finish on my due date) but I really, really wish I could be there with her.
Um... ha. My husband is a total geek, so I bought him this and a few other things. They had a special at that site the other day with free shipping and 20% off with a purchase over $25. He'd randomly mentioned wanting one of those months ago, and I was thrilled to remember and find it.

Holidays were always iffy in my family. My birthday always seems to fall on a MAJOR holiday, so it's inevitable that I'd have a disappointing day. My husband asked me last year what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I just shrugged and said, I don't care, because I've never had a birthday that was actually pleasant. Mother's Day is similar.

My father is one of those IF I WANT IT, I BUY IT people, and I never feel like I'm coming up with anything "good enough" for him as a gift. I could spend time with him, but not now that we live in different states.

We've been having a similar problem, our first is homeschooled and we definitely haven't done with it what we hoped to do this year. Between the big move and the pregnancy, it's been a considerable adjustment, and I don't have it in me right now. I've been trying to redirect him toward as much educational material as possible. Lots of books, and I managed to find a Tag pen at a thrift store for $5! I had plenty of the Tag materials and books already that I'd gotten couponing last year, but never had the pen. He put together a puzzle map on the kitchen floor and is playing with it right now, which is great. He tends to be an auditory-kinesthetic learner, so - for all that electronics aren't great if overused - he tends to retain more that way.

I'm so sorry about your mom. I hope that it was caught early enough and she can achieve remission quickly and with minimal fuss. I can't imagine anything like that happening to my mother - we're so close, and it's terrifying to even consider. Keep us posted, please!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#28 of 100 Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMem View Post
o mamas! forgive me. yesterday in all my whining I positively could not see the last 2 or 3 days worth of posts on this thread. I thought it seemed awfully quiet...
i'll be back later to see what y'all are up to.
Hope you're hanging in there! Are you able to do anything laying down? I'd be knitting up a storm.
#29 of 100 Old 06-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Hmm... I'm guilty of not really thinking much about father's day yet! But I do have a good possible idea. We have a decent grill, but there's some part that is rusted through that needs to be replaced before we can use it. I haven't gone and taken a look myself, but I think he said its something that catches any drips so they don't land on the propane tank. If I can figure out what exactly that is and get a compatible one on amazon, that'd be great! And I guess I better do that today to get it in 2 days with prime! (crap.. we have separate accounts and prime is on HIS!)

#30 of 100 Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Farmes--I probably will But at least the deep-cleaning stuff is done! As long as we finish getting the boys' wardrobe set up and installed tonight everything else is just tidying.

Mem--I'm so sorry to hear about the bedrest--that sounds terrible, and I would be really upset to not get to finish my sewing projects, too! I think I'm down to only things that need hand tools, other than the boys' curtains, but since they won't be sleeping in their room room for a while. Of course if you're on your side even handwork probably isn't very comfortable. Hugs to you!

Kate--DD had hand, foot, and mouth last week, and pretty much all she did for 5 days was drink juice and watch George. Any other time I would feel bad about that, but I figured everyone needs to be cut some slack now and then, right?

Minerva--ugh, yes. Hard to sit, hard to lie down, everything gets achy, and then it's hard to move from one position to another. I was talking to my dad the other day and wondered out loud if laying eggs might not be an easier way to go?

Turtle--Your blessingway sounds lovely--and how wonderful that your daughter got to participate! It's going to be such a big change for her, too, I'm sure it was helpful to have a ceremony honoring her transition as well as yours.

Redrock--ooo...gorgeous! I have no artistic abilities, so it's always amazing to see someone who does. I hope you'll show the whole nursery once you have it all put together!

Lilstar--good to hear about the afterease--I was wondering if I'd need it, but this is pregnancy #2 so maybe I'll just skip it?

Caled--hopefully everything will go smoothly and you won't need any contingencies! Hypnobirthing did nothing for me in labor (I think I have the wrong personality for it--my friend found it very useful!) but we listened to the tracks for months because it would put us both to sleep in about 5 minutes, which was great when the anxiety started to really kick in. Also, I was just going to more or less ignore father's day (that and mother's day were never a big deal at my house) but my DP bought my dad a card and wrote a really nice message thanking him for everything he's been doing for us. Her dad is kind of a jerk, so it means a lot that she has mine when she needs that kind of support.

Mares--I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the treatments go smoothly (and fast!) and that she's in remission and feeling better as soon as she possibly can be! That's a lot to be facing when you're already getting prepared for a new baby!

Nothing much going on here, other than baby B switching head down on me. I think most of my projects are actually done (and the ones that aren't aren't ones I care enough about to throw myself into). I wish I could be done working, but I'd rather have the time with the babies than sitting home waiting for them, so I keep waddling in to work. I wish the constant commentary would let up, though.

She's here!
And so are the boys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page