Vitamin C? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Vitamin C?

So has anyone heard about taking vitamin C to prevent your water from breaking? I have this irrational fear that my water will break and labor will not start immediately, leading me to going to the hospital too early and having to get pitocin and having to get the epidural...you all know what can happen. In doing research I have heard that bulking up on your vitamin C can prevent spontaneous rupture.

Again, this is a crazy fear, especially since I had my water broken at like 7 or 8 last time. I see the side benefit as keeping me healthy, as I have a preschooler in summer day camp and you know how germs fly around there.. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this before and had any experience.
#2 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My mw recommended putting a lemon slice in water and then just drink that through out the day. She said vitamin c from lemon is supposed to strengthen the amniotic sac keeping it from busting too soon. I add a spritz of applejuice to my lemon water just for flavor and it has been really refreshing.

Just be careful you don't want to use too much vitamin c since that could start contractions leading to labor due to too much bowl movement.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My mw advised me to do EmergenC packs 3 times daily, and I've been doing this for the past few weeks because my kids have been getting sick like crazy. She also suggested using 1000mg of bioflavonoids and zinc daily to strengthen the amniotic sac. The bioflavonoids also came with the added benefit of making my varicose veins almost completely disappear.
#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Ooh, good reminder, I like upping vit c at the end for that reason (although my bag is usually quite strong anyway! its only broken naturally once, which was while pushing, and with such force it splashed my mw in the face!) and also for general immunity. I've never tested for gbs, and opt to instead take extra vit c, good quality probiotics, and maybe even insert a garlic clove once in a while toward the end. Just to generally sway the odds in my favor that friendly bacteria will be dominant at the time of birth. And keeping the bag intact until late in labor helps with that too.

Have also heard, and I mentioned this in another thread (don't remember which) that there was a very small study that found eating 6 dates a day for the last month of pregnancy to lead to less induction (which roughly translates to, labor starting a little earlier), a much shorter labor, and more intact bags of water at onset of labor, or something like that! So I'm definitely doing that. eta: with all this, and plus my previous baby having only a 6 hour labor (and 4 of that was pushing since he was huge and had a nuchal arm ..so effectively i was dilated and ready to push within 2 hours!!!) and with how at my last appt, by palpation my mw estimated my baby to be average sized and not enormous like my previous 2... I'm predicting a precipitous birth, in the caul, mw doesn't make it!! sounds like fun

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Funny, without even thinking about the Vitamin C thing and it's correlation with a a strong sac, I have been absolutely craving lemon water...so good!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page