Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   July 2014 Due Date Club (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17543-july-2014-due-date-club/)
-   -   Labor thread! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/17543-july-2014-due-date-club/1425218-labor-thread.html)

vivica2 06-20-2014 10:49 PM

Labor thread!

Post here with "is it, or isn't it" or news of labor starting!!

vivica2 06-20-2014 10:52 PM

I'm 37 weeks with my 4th baby and I still google: signs of labor, several times a day. *sigh*

As of now I am 4 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and cramps. No regular contractions, just the normal 5/10 Braxton hicks per hour that I have the whole 3rd trimester.

minerva23 06-21-2014 04:32 PM

2 cm and 50%

No sign of labor yet even bh have been rare lately. Baby is calm and I wondering how it will start this time.

LiLStar 06-21-2014 06:29 PM

Well, I'm definitely nowhere near labor (only 35 weeks) but I tend to get some good strong BHs in the evenings :) They're the kind of BH I'd expect closer to when labor is imminent. Not painful, but strong and with some pressure. I don't think it (necessarily) means I'll go early, but I do think it may be a sign of, perhaps, a fast labor :) Layaway plan and all. My last was 6 hours, but 4 of that was pushing, so the first stage of labor was quite fast! I've tried checking myself a few times but a combination of short fingers, posterior cervix, and a belly in the way makes it not so easy. It feels "ripe". nice and soft and I think its done a bit of effacing but I have no idea how to even estimate how much.

prettyisa 06-21-2014 07:19 PM

Nothing and nothing. Excited to see everyone else is getting closer, though! :)

Katemonster128 06-23-2014 08:15 AM

2-3cm, 60% effaced, -2 station. Really, really, really need him to stay put until this weekend :)

sweetestday 06-23-2014 04:35 PM

I never get checked for dialation or anything else, but baby sure seems low and the head is grinding in my pelvis. There've been some HUGE movements that make me worried about baby's postion, but it seems like there are still legs and feet up, and head grinding low.Not too many Braxton Hicks, but they are nice and strong when they come. My guess is July 13th, though I'm due on the 16th. We'll see. 37 weeks this Wednesday!

blessed#7 06-23-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetestday (Post 17722330)
I never get checked for dialation or anything else, but baby sure seems low and the head is grinding in my pelvis. There've been some HUGE movements that make me worried about baby's postion, but it seems like there are still legs and feet up, and head grinding low.Not too many Braxton Hicks, but they are nice and strong when they come. My guess is July 13th, though I'm due on the 16th. We'll see. 37 weeks this Wednesday!

I don't get checked either but def feel the same as you abt the baby being very low in the pelvis and also get those crazy big movements but baby is still head down. I'm due the 15th so 37 tomorrow :) we r very close - almost due date twins!

farmes94 06-24-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar (Post 17717594)
Well, I'm definitely nowhere near labor (only 35 weeks) but I tend to get some good strong BHs in the evenings :) They're the kind of BH I'd expect closer to when labor is imminent. Not painful, but strong and with some pressure. I don't think it (necessarily) means I'll go early, but I do think it may be a sign of, perhaps, a fast labor :) Layaway plan and all. My last was 6 hours, but 4 of that was pushing, so the first stage of labor was quite fast! I've tried checking myself a few times but a combination of short fingers, posterior cervix, and a belly in the way makes it not so easy. It feels "ripe". nice and soft and I think its done a bit of effacing but I have no idea how to even estimate how much.

Was wondering if any other 35 weekers had been getting braxton hicks. I've still yet to feel any. In fact, I feel great other than having a big ole belly and pubic bone pain when I walk too much. Even went camping this past weekend to celebrate the solstice! Really wanted to play volleyball but decided that was not in my best interest.

I wonder if this is any indication that I may go later than my edd.

MamaMem 06-24-2014 12:23 PM

I am 36 today!! Baby was engaged 2 -3 week ago but I got her floated out. Now she is trying to head back into the abyss and I am fine with that :) Had a chiro appt yesterday and it definitely helped. Since i am now officially allowed off bedrest I can also safely squat. Feels so good! (That is how I ended up on bed rest - spent 45 minutes squatting in the strawberry patch...)

I am choosing to not be checked this time. We shall see if I make it all the way to the end without. I am nerd and like the data. :D

WHAT is this zinging in my cervix. I have been having this sensation several times a day and it is getting more often. Kind of like a light ping that turns to a tiny bit of buzzing. breif but there. My gut says I am likely working on dilation but then I am also certain I may be dreaming up reasons. HA!

PrimalJoy 06-24-2014 05:33 PM

@MamaMem -- I have no idea what it is, but I got the buzzing cervix the last time I was pregnant, too. Haven't so far this time, but so weird!!

PlumeriaSky 06-24-2014 05:59 PM

Definitely an "is it, or isn't it?" day today!

I thought labor may have been starting today! I awoke at 5:30 this morning with painful, strong contractions that were coming 7-8 minutes apart. They continued for a few hours, I contacted my MW at 8:30, she suggested I get up, shower, and move around some to see if they change. In the shower I had a lot of pressure. I let my MW know, and by 10:30 she came over to check me. When she did, she found I was 1cm dilated, with a very soft cervix. She said it very well could be early labor, but didn't expect any action within the next 5-6 hours. Now, 9 hours later, contractions have all but disappeared and everything is pretty normal, and not at all like labor is coming. Crazy!!! I don't mind one way or another, but it seems like this little guy is happy to just chill.

vivica2 06-25-2014 07:50 PM

Plumeria- that doesn't sound fun! I hope next time is the real thing. :)

Afm- lost my mucus plug!! Like just now. 3 cm, regular contractions as usual, but no pain, just discomfort. Soon!!!

turtlemamameg 06-25-2014 08:02 PM

I've been losing big globs of mucus plug for a few days now...just seems to keep coming. And probably 3 cm too, like 2 fingers...wish I could get a grip on it and pull it forward some more, it is so hard to reach.

If you asked me yesterday, I would have told you "maybe tonight", based on how crampy and menstrual I had felt all day, but today, hmph, not much at all. Waiting can be so hard (39 weeks). In the scope of 9 months though, pretty soon, just need patience for the process.

I just got the house vacuumed, and bathroom cleaned again, and the frig cleaned out, so another nesting milestone reached.

Trixie Falsae 06-25-2014 08:16 PM

I've been having regular, discomforting contractions for days now. They aren't doing anything. Apparently these are normal for me. Ready for real labor, just hope I'm not too tired once it hits. I'm only 37w1d so probably another week at least.

blessed#7 06-25-2014 08:18 PM

Vivica and Turtlemama! So exciting!

I lost my plug for days like you with my last. It was a mess. He came a week after that started. I always lose my plug over the course of a few days leading up to labor.

Keep us updated! :)

farmes94 06-25-2014 09:34 PM

Woohoo. You all must be excited...and ready!

sweetestday 06-26-2014 07:07 AM

Wow, we're all getting close! So exciting. :)
I just told my husband, it's a good thing pregnancy gets so uncomfortable toward the end. It makes you look forward to labor (kinda) and having the baby come. If it stayed comfortable and pain free, labor might be a bit more intimidating.
Happy laboring ladies!

Christina James 06-26-2014 09:43 AM

37.3 Just got home from my OB appointment. Some progress! My cervix is soft at least. My next appointment is Monday. I was scheduled for induction at 39.0 - the following Monday, unless she comes on her own prior.

The ultrasound tech said the exact same thing that the other ultrasound tech said ten days ago, that my daughter looked like she had a big tuft of hair on the top of her head and really chubby cheeks, lol. I keep envisioning a Kewpie doll:)

blessed#7 06-26-2014 07:29 PM

Exciting Christina! Glad to hear things are getting started!

AFM: I am having my first round of Braxton hicks this evening. I actually noticed a lot of tightening in the vagina while doing my workout earlier but didn't realise what it was until lying down to nurse my youngest to sleep. They were pretty frequent for abt an hour and now just random. Anyone else notice the tightening not only in the uterus but also in the Vagina like I mentioned?

I generally don't notice any contrax of any sort until labor is started for real so it has been exciting! I'm sure labor is still awhile away - 37wks3days today - but it's fun feeling my body start preparing! :)

Katemonster128 06-27-2014 07:16 AM

I got all excited yesterday over some weird back pain, but it must have just been my chair because it went away after lunch. I think I am going to strat trying to "walk" the baby out. I'll hit the mall, Target, the grocery store....Our oven and AC are both fixed so really I am good to go any day now. If I hold out til Tuesday my husband gets an extra week off, but truthfully, I think I can live without that!!!!

Margo B 06-27-2014 09:57 AM

I can't reach my darn cervix, which is probably for the best. I'm 38 weeks today and have been having some funny sensations for the last week. Some intense menstrual cramping that went down the front of my thighs on a short walk the other night, but went away as soon as I got home. Lots of practice contractions after having 1 or 2 a day up until last week, and they are strong enough to make it uncomfortable to move during them when they do come. I also have a feeling like something is "stuck" in my cervical os, and that sensation feels more forward in my body, so I think it must be changing at least a little bit, thinning, getting more anterior, etc. I'm mostly just laying around in bed most days, trying to stay on top of eating and drinking so I'm ready when it does happen! My swelling has almost completely disappeared in the last week too, which makes me think that hormones must be shifting. Lots of insomnia, loose stools, all that fun stuff. I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET THIS BABY!!!!!!!!

hannabee 06-27-2014 10:02 AM

I thought I was maybe in labour last night (39w); lost a big chunk of mucous plug, all crampy and quite a few BH. Even had to have hubby massage my lower back for a while! Felt very reminiscent of when I was in early labour with DD. Alas, no labour, but I'm not super-surprised, as DD was born at 41+3 (even though EVERYONE says this one will be coming earlier!)

OT: does anyone know how to set up to get notifications? Been looking all over the new site and it's driving me crazy!! This is my favourite group and not getting the daily updates sucks :(

LiLStar 06-28-2014 12:55 AM

Just a random thought on the topic of labor. warning, I'm jumping WAY into speculation land :) So, one of the main, important things determining when labor starts is baby's lung development. And "practice breathing" facilitates lung development. Hiccups are often a sign that baby has been practicing and seems to be a good sign that progress is being made in the lung development department. Can the conclusion be made that more frequent hiccups (using hiccups as the indicator because its more noticeable than the more subtle practice breaths, which you usually have to be still/quiet to notice) means that labor will start earlier than if there were fewer bouts of hiccups? My last baby, it seemed like he hardly ever got the hiccups, and he was my latest, at 41 weeks. My first baby was born soonest, labor started a couple days shy of 39 weeks. I can't really remember much about how often she had the hiccups but it seemed like it was a decent amount. More than my youngest, at least. This baby gets hiccups LIKE CRAZY! And I do notice lots of practice breaths when I'm still. So I wonder if this'll be another 39 weeker? I wouldn't mind! Anyone else have any theories/anecdotes?

prettyisa 06-28-2014 06:43 AM

lilstar--I don't think so. My DD was a hiccupping machine for a loooong time. And she was born at 41+1. These two do it now and then, but not nearly as regularly. She hiccupped a lot once she was born, too.

I thought I was going into labor thursday night--lots of contractions, some slightly painful. So we cleaned the house and went to bed and...no dice. In some ways I'm glad because it gave my dad a chance to finish the floor in our house, and for my mom to get a clean bill of health from her angiogram (hurray!). At this point I'm torn between waiting out the next few days because of Pride and lots of friends in town and getting over this. Even my dad, who NEVER says anything, was like, 'whoa! you are SO pregnant!'. Four more days til induction...

Caledvwlch 06-28-2014 10:38 AM

Officially hit the acceptable-for-homebirth point. That's a relief - my first was early and I was dreading having a transfer-of-care if I birthed even earlier with #2 . Everything's looking good, fluid level is good but causing some discomfort. Baby is guesstimated at about six pounds already. Midwife says either I go early and have a baby about the size of my first, maybe a little larger, or I go closer to my EDD (fairly precise, I know my O date) and have a baby more the size of myself/husband at birth. I'm also measuring 2cm ahead in fundal height, but baby is head-down, doesn't appear posterior (my first was an OP baby), and well engaged.

I've been convinced from the beginning that baby is a girl. Absolutely convinced. Now that the scary part is behind me (admittedly, labor doesn't frighten me one bit) - I'm mostly trying to cope with how I'll feel if this baby is a boy. I know, it sounds horrible, and a healthy baby is a healthy baby, but I'm now two for two with miserable pregnancies and not certain I can go through this again. My husband wants to stop at two children, especially given the age difference between our first and this one. I'm sure that I'll be fine, and I/we wanted our first to be a girl but found out the gender and had time to prepare (and having a boy then was actually a blessing in disguise), but I know that there will be some level of feeling devastated if this baby is a boy. We haven't had any ultrasounds, so all I've got is my intuition, and I'm worried that I've jinxed it.

LiLStar 06-28-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caledvwlch (Post 17737650)

I've been convinced from the beginning that baby is a girl. Absolutely convinced. Now that the scary part is behind me (admittedly, labor doesn't frighten me one bit) - I'm mostly trying to cope with how I'll feel if this baby is a boy. I know, it sounds horrible, and a healthy baby is a healthy baby, but I'm now two for two with miserable pregnancies and not certain I can go through this again. My husband wants to stop at two children, especially given the age difference between our first and this one. I'm sure that I'll be fine, and I/we wanted our first to be a girl but found out the gender and had time to prepare (and having a boy then was actually a blessing in disguise), but I know that there will be some level of feeling devastated if this baby is a boy. We haven't had any ultrasounds, so all I've got is my intuition, and I'm worried that I've jinxed it.

Oh, I get you! You get an idea/dream for what your family will look like, and its hard to let go of the dream when it turns out its not to be. I had a surprise with baby #3 (a tie breaker baby) because he was the tie breaker. I always hoped to have at least 2 of each, or, at minimum, not leave my dd sisterless (probably baggage from having 4 brothers and no sisters myself.. i always wished i had a sister) and I chose to find out this time just because I didn't want to be hoping and wanting all the way up to labor only to have any disappointment at birth. I needed to quit hoping, start knowing, and then.. start getting over it and having new ideas for what my family will look like. And find fun things about having another boy. I gotta admit, this fabric here helps a lot: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1680261 It has shipped, and I look forward to newborn pics with a sonic screwdriver in his hands ;) I need to get some sort of tardis back drop. Maybe I'll have my mom paint one on a canvas or something, she's good at that.

turtlemamameg 06-28-2014 03:01 PM

Confession: I have had myself convinced for this entire pregnancy that this one is a boy, mostly because i am dreadfully afraid of having a boy. Coming form a family of 3 girls with all girl cousins, and having a daughter already...I am absolutely terrified of how to raise a boy ( a sensitive, sweet, calm boy). It has taken this whole pregnancy to accept that fact that this baby is likely a boy and that I am capable of being a good mother to a boy, but i still hope it is a girl. It's horrible to feel this way, but...........maybe some of you mothers of boys can share your experiences about how wonderful it is to have boys :)

MamaMem 06-28-2014 04:48 PM

I have been fairly certain most this pregnancy that this baby is a girl.
Today and yesterday I have been freaked out it really could be a boy. I have 2 boys and this is the last pregnancy. I just really want a girl. I still think it is but the waiting to find out is getting to me. Ok, well, the WAITING is just getting to me.

mareseatoats 06-28-2014 05:39 PM

Turtle - I felt DS was a boy from the early weeks of pregnancy and was very worried. I also grew up with just a sister, no close male relations or friends. And then as an adult I have seen examples of boys who were loud, rough, violent, etc, not the sweet gentle boys that one might hope for. We found out at 20 weeks and I was... Worried. Always a little worried. But the moment he was born that completely dissolved. I don't know why, as I didn't grow up in a family that valued boys or anything like that, but there is something so unspeakably special about being the mother of a son. I still feel that way.

During my pregnancy I posted a thread here about having a boy, and mama after mama took the time to answer, talking about how sweet and affectionate and thoughtful their boys are. Malcolm is the same. He rushes to give me kisses when I'm hurt, he stopped nursing almost overnight because he could tell it hurt me. He's so cuddly and attached in a way DD wasn't. Not long after he was born I told DH I wanted to have lots more sons, and I still feel that way, which is essentially a complete turnaround from how I felt before I had one. It's really magical, and I don't know why, but I love it so very much.