July!!!! Chit chat :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
July!!!! Chit chat :)

I hope it's ok I started a "July thread". June one was pretty lengthy and I didn't see one for the new month yet.

I will start off with a Q abt using the shower during labor. I have never labored in water. Period. I did deliver my last in water but bc contractions were so far apart and I was stuck at an 8 for awhile the midwife recommended I not get in earlier and Once my water broke I hopped in and had him 5 min later.

So at the hospital we are going to water birth isn't an option but getting in the shower is. I am wondering if anyone has experience to share. I am generally grossed out by hotel or hospital anything related to the bathroom but if baby stays posterior I may need the relief. I'm thinking spare flip flops just for in the shower if I decide to and then I can toss en afterwards.

If u used the shower did it help the pain? Did u stand up or sit on something? Thanks in advance
#2 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hopped in the shower once during the home birth process and it didn't really do anything for me. Overall, the thing that helped me the most was to keep moving. I walked a lot and changed positions a lot.

My baby is posterior too. My son was also posterior. I have a tipped uterus. I've heard that there might be a correlation between the two. I'm guessing this will translate to more lovely back labor for me.

For back labor, I found pressure/massage on my lower back during labor most helpful. I've heard some women have used TENS units successfully too. I'm wishing that I would have ordered one now
#3 of 22 Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in the shower during my labors! We discovered it was my silver bullet during my labor with DD. We had a birthing pool, but it wasn't hot enough for me and I wanted water all over me. So, the midwives put me in the shower. Hello, sweet relief. I just kept running out of hot water because we never thought it would work so well so we didn't turn up the tank temperature. Now, it's turned way up and I can just kind of do my thing when the times comes here sometime soon. Hot shower, lights off.....I got through my last labor in three hours. Of course it doesn't work for everyone. For me, it seems to redistribute the labor pains just enough for me to stay on top of them and not fight the contractions. The less you fight the better they work. Give the shower a try...you can always get out!

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#4 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's my plan. Tubs never feel big enough or hot enough to me. Labor is trial and error, you can always get out.

I am frustrated that baby is so big and so low and so happy staying right where he is!! Nothing makes him want to budge. I should have expected this after last time, but hope springs eternal.... I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, but i am kind of forcing myself to get out and about.
#5 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you All for the responses

I hope I find it helpful as some of you did and yes, worst case is just get out and try something else. Keeping moving is usually what I do. Leaning over on the bed or walking and swaying. The birth ball never worked for me. It felt terrible to just sit there. But I did buy one again this time just in case. Every labor is so different.

It stinks so many us have posterior babes. I was really hoping the chiro and websters would help my baby girl reposition. I definitely hope my hubs will step up with back massage if I need it or the hip squeeze I've heard mentioned. Is that pretty simple? Or shoud we watch a video or two on YouTube so I can be sure he knows how to do it right? He is decent at massaging when he wants to be lol last night I mowed the entire lawn with the push mower and it was abt 80 degrees out still and he did massage my shoulders afterwards bc I was so sore.
#6 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
TMI: this baby is putting enough pressure on my cervix I nearly want to gag. Literally. DTD last night sure helped drop "her" lower but did not cause even one contraction. So weird!
Went blueberry picking in hopes of pushing this pressure over the edge. Nothin' doin'. :/

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#7 of 22 Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMem View Post
TMI: this baby is putting enough pressure on my cervix I nearly want to gag. Literally. DTD last night sure helped drop "her" lower but did not cause even one contraction. So weird!
Went blueberry picking in hopes of pushing this pressure over the edge. Nothin' doin'. :/
When are you due?
#8 of 22 Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM

I am due the 22. My previous births were at 8 and 9 days early. We shall see when this one comes.

#9 of 22 Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hmm, when I went to my appointment today I was measuring 41cm. I'm 36w, 37 on Saturday. I was 37.5cm last time it was checked, which was close to two weeks ago. My midwife seemed a bit bothered by the jump. Any insight? I know position has a lot to do with it, so we're just going to see where it's at next week.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#10 of 22 Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
Hmm, when I went to my appointment today I was measuring 41cm. I'm 36w, 37 on Saturday. I was 37.5cm last time it was checked, which was close to two weeks ago. My midwife seemed a bit bothered by the jump. Any insight? I know position has a lot to do with it, so we're just going to see where it's at next week.
Were you pretty sure she was measuring from the top of your pubic bone? Maybe she was a little off on the starting point. Position can definitely have something to do with it too. Do you measure yourself? Maybe you could give that a try between your next appointment and see if things change as the baby changes positions...you must be having weekly appointments by now, so you will be checking more frequently now anyway. What were her concerns specifically?

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#11 of 22 Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Up. Can't sleep. Started having mucousy discharge around 5pm today. Contractions on and off. Nothing regular at all. Intense pressure and cervical pain when baby moves. Lots of it! Worse than in the past days/weeks. Also had a constant lingering nausea and upset stomach today but it has settled. I "think" I am getting closer but who knows! Could still be days or weeks. 38wk4days now.
#12 of 22 Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed#7 View Post
Up. Can't sleep. Started having mucousy discharge around 5pm today. Contractions on and off. Nothing regular at all. Intense pressure and cervical pain when baby moves. Lots of it! Worse than in the past days/weeks. Also had a constant lingering nausea and upset stomach today but it has settled. I "think" I am getting closer but who knows! Could still be days or weeks. 38wk4days now.
I've been doing the same thing for days! Everyday I wake up thinking today could be the day, but no luck yet. I guess she'd very comfortable in there.
#13 of 22 Old 07-05-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Woke up to a few more contractions and thought we would go walk as usual to encourage labor if it is starting But the waking actually calmed things. Went to ship eBay items and came home for leftover spaghetti. Not feeling a thing now But enjoying the Saturday with my family! Blowing bubbles and swinging on the front porch
#14 of 22 Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
FREEZING COLD shower aimed at my lower back (OP baby) was the only thing that helped the sudden "I feel like I'm burning up and about to puke" feeling during my first's birth. I'd suggest flip flops and maybe some of those foam garden kneeler pads if you won't be in your own bath.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#15 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anyone else tired of the "When are you due?" Question? And the reaction when I tell them "Two days ago." It's like they look at me in horror expecting me to pop out a baby in the middle of Trader Joe's....

And my legs hurt and I am always hot......
#16 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

I was 13 days over with my last and yes, absolutely got tired of the "when r u due" for sure! He was also just shy of 10lbs so ppl had been asking for a month or two as I looked full baked

However, this go around I seem much smaller in the belly which probably has something to do with it being a girl. Anyway, my point is I don't get asked often. At all. Maybe 10 times this entire pregnancy I have been asked anything abt the baby by strangers. I do always have my they 5 kids with so maybe it just isnt a big deal to others to try and make conversation lol
#17 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemonster128 View Post
Anyone else tired of the "When are you due?" Question? And the reaction when I tell them "Two days ago." It's like they look at me in horror expecting me to pop out a baby in the middle of Trader Joe's....
I am! I have real life friends who were worried bc I was at a picnic the other night. At that point I was exactly 37 weeks. Um...could be another MONTH till this happens, people!
I have looked so big for so long (37 cm at 24 weeks...) that I can easily get over strangers asking. But my real life people? Go Away.

#18 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Anyone tried the Webster technique? I'm not a big fan of chiropractors but know some of you are? Willing to try anything to turn the breech baby!
#19 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post
Anyone tried the Webster technique? I'm not a big fan of chiropractors but know some of you are? Willing to try anything to turn the breech baby!
I have! I used it to better position my posterior baby with the last pregnancy and again this go around for the same. I have it done once a week to help keep things in alignment but for a breech the protocol is I believe twice a week. My chiro has a book of testimonials for moms who's babies turned and some were as far as 38+weeks. It's very gentle and I enjoy it. Couldn't hurt to try!
#20 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM

I watched the technique on YouTube, seems so simple. Almost thought he'd turned yesterday. Night before had been doing the breech tilt with frozen peas up where his head was. Got up and felt this massive pain/weirdness and next day was feeling increased movement up high where I don't generally feel anything. But later in the eve, movements went back to normal...
#21 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
HUGE fan of chiropractic care, especially in pregnancy! Anyone who doesn't like it is just seeing the wrong person! Totally eliminates any pain. I love the 2 I see now. I'm going this afternoon can't wait, my hips are a little sore, lol . I've never had a breech baby but I still think the Webster technique is important to keep stuff aligned and even and facilitate a well positioned baby. I've felt labor with a crappily positioned baby and I never want to feel that again I didn't see a chiro that pregnancy. The Webster technique is sooo gentle and I leave the office feeling awesome.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#22 of 22 Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmes94 View Post
I watched the technique on YouTube, seems so simple. Almost thought he'd turned yesterday. Night before had been doing the breech tilt with frozen peas up where his head was. Got up and felt this massive pain/weirdness and next day was feeling increased movement up high where I don't generally feel anything. But later in the eve, movements went back to normal...
It is pretty simple but very effective. You can do the ligament work yourself if you feel there is any tightness in the ligaments on the low left and right sides. She just finds where it is right and applies gentle but firm pressure to help loosen it. I do it at home on my home if feel any tightness.

Otherwise it sounds like you are doig everything you can and I hope baby makes the move to head down soon

Keep us updated!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page