Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
question re bottles

Hi all,
I am planning to try and breastfeed. In the course about breastfeeding the breastfeeding counselor recommended that after 3 weeks we feed once a day with a bottle. She recommended bottles with a big nipples such as tommee tippee nipples, so that the baby will continue regular breastfeeding. I saw that tommee tippee bottles are made in China. I would prefer products that are made in USA or Europa. I also do not mind glass bottles. Do you have recommendations on such bottles, with a relatively big nipple?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Not specifically a breastfeeding bottle but LifeFactory makes glass baby bottles made in the USA. These breastfeeding bottles from Medela are made in the USA:
Amazon Amazon
HTH!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#3 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We always used the ameda and medela bottles with the lowest flow nipple. no problems switching from bottle to breast. These little guys needed some bottle feeds and are also having no problems,so i would say not to worry and to get whatever you are comfortable with.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#4 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshe View Post
Hi all,
I am planning to try and breastfeed. In the course about breastfeeding the breastfeeding counselor recommended that after 3 weeks we feed once a day with a bottle. She recommended bottles with a big nipples such as tommee tippee nipples, so that the baby will continue regular breastfeeding. I saw that tommee tippee bottles are made in China. I would prefer products that are made in USA or Europa. I also do not mind glass bottles. Do you have recommendations on such bottles, with a relatively big nipple?
Thank you.
Just had this conversation with my sister in law yesterday. Playtex Nursers are made in the USA.

Unfortunately, bottles are trial and error. My daughter HATED the Ameda bottles. We ended up using the Playtex Vent Aire. I am not sure where those are made.
#5 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yeah, some babies seem to be picky about the bottle type they get, and some don't care. My sons were extremely cranky about taking any kind of bottle, but my daughter went back and forth (to Tommee Tippee, although I know you're looking for other options) without an issue. I don't think the bottle type was a factor for her, but starting early is a good idea. I think I waited too long with the boys, and then they were boob-itarians. In my own experience, breastfeeding is a lot easier if you're able to pump and bottlefeed sometimes. Good luck to you!

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#6 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We had to start giving our little guy bottles at 10 days because he was gaining so slowly. The medela calma is the slowest one we've tried and he goes great between breastfeeding and bottles.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#7 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Everyone's situation is different but introducing a bottle, nor pumping, is not always necessary. It is very good to be well researched in case the need arises though, but you may never utilize one.
I had done similarly, even purchased a costly pump, I never needed it though. Just something to consider, but I think it is great that you are researching, I have always found it helpful to be well read.
#8 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you.
I am just wondering why she is recommending using a bottle after three weeks. Are you going back to work? If the baby is gaining weight, having the normal number of wet diapers and there isn't a need to prepare her for bottles, why use them at all?
#9 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post
Everyone's situation is different but introducing a bottle, nor pumping, is not always necessary. It is very good to be well researched in case the need arises though, but you may never utilize one.

I had done similarly, even purchased a costly pump, I never needed it though. Just something to consider, but I think it is great that you are researching, I have always found it helpful to be well read.

I agree. Unless you are going back to work or have some other planned separation from your baby, I wouldn't make an effort to introduce a bottle if a serious need doesn't arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#10 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your useful comments. I will go back to work only after 4 months, but I think she wants me to start preparing a supply for that period (I was told to pump and freeze milk when my husband feeds the baby with the bottle in the evening or afternoon). Another reason I think is also to have my husband involved in the feeding and bonding with the baby.

Last edited by eshe; 07-12-2014 at 10:16 AM.
#11 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Also wanted to add that I called many companies, and it seems that most US companies produce their bottles in China. I did not manage to find any US company that has glass bottles with wide nipples that does not produce its bottles in China. Eventually, however, found Philips-Avent, which is a European company that has also a natural line of bottles, including glass bottles, with wide nipples. They produce their bottles in the UK, France and Germany. They sell at babyrus, diapers.com etc. I will try them when the time comes.

Last edited by eshe; 07-12-2014 at 10:15 AM.
#12 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was just going to suggest Klean kanteens, as they are stainless steel and that's what we purchased. Sad to say that they are produced in China. I was not aware.
#13 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you all for your useful comments. I will go back to work only after 4 months, but I think she wants me to start preparing a supply for that period (I was told to pump and freeze milk when my husband feeds the baby with the bottle in the evening or afternoon). Another reason I think is also to have my husband involved in the feeding and bonding with the baby.
If you are returning to work at 4 months, you may be able to wait longer before introducing bottles and the potential for nipple confusion and supply issues (and exclusively direct breastfeeding is so good for a baby's orthodontic development!). Have you read Kellymom.com? It is a very reputable breastfeeding website with some good information on pumping and going back to work.
It is your family's decision, but there are lots of other ways for dad and baby to bond while mama is nursing the baby. Dad can dress the baby, hold the baby skin to skin, bathe the baby, change diapers, etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page