The 'how can you complain when they are so darn CUTE?' thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Caledvwlch

#1 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The 'how can you complain when they are so darn CUTE?' thread

Maybe I'm not the only one?

Apparently two weeks is how long it takes for me to come to the end of my rope (complete with 6 days of constant headache, two extra hospital admissions for jaundice and blood pressure, and 97 million visitors who just want to hold babies).

My sweet little guys decided that after cluster feeding from 6-11pm last night, they would tag-team for the rest of the night. Ugh. I got about an hour and a half of broken sleep, my DP got about the same. I know it's a short phase before they really get into their groove for sleeping, but it is HARD to be patient at 3am after nine hours of solid nursing.

If anyone else wants to complain about their amazing, gorgeous, fantastic progeny, too, I'd love some company! The worst part is that most of the time these are some really easy, sweet babies! I think the problem is me...

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#2 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Back when one of my older children wea born, there was a twin mama in my DDC. She was a awesome lady - very capable and level-headed. Around this same time as you are, she got a little looney from all the feeding and sleeplessness. There really wasn't a specific remedy, but it did pass, and soon she was back to her old self. You are doing great, and very soon things will level themselves out. I promise.
#3 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I nursed my first for three years, but the first couple of weeks were very rocky - I thought I knew what I was doing when it came to nursing a newborn! Apparently not. The first night, he slept for almost the entire night. The second night? Oh my god. We barely slept. I'm worried that we have another allergy baby, so I'm dropping dairy (I should have done it by now, but milkshakes were the only solution for the heartburn) and seeing if that helps.

He also seems to be a comfort nurser, which means I sit there and get used as a chew toy. In a moment of desperation (somewhere around 3:30 a.m.), we broke out a NB pacifier we'd received in a Target "yay you did a baby registry" (...I just wanted the coupons) gift bag. And it worked. Our first didn't have a comfort object or a pacifier, so I'm very hesitant to keep using it. He is nursing like a champ, though, so I'm less concerned about confusion or issues.

But oh, the cuteness. He's asleep on me right now. So snuggly.
farmes94 likes this.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#4 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Caled--pacis are in full force over here, too. Never did that with DD (she wouldn't take them. We begged when we took her on a road trip through the mountains and she screamed because of her ears popping but wouldn't accept the paci). They only seem to want them for a minute or two to calm down, then they fall out and it's fine. I can't handle being a human pacifier on top of all the actual nursing, so I'm just going with it and assuming that they'll move on to their thumbs once they can find them.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#5 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I remember 2 weeks being pretty rough with dd. That was the first time I really felt frustrated. They growth spurt around then, and it also seems like there's a hormone shift in me, so it feels a little more difficult for a while, but then improves

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 10 Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lots of cluster feeding over here too. Ped. said he'd "wake up" on his due date and he sure did. We've been sitting in bed nursing for 4 hours, sigh. There is a lot of pacifying going on too. We tried a pacifer a couple weeks ago and it's hit or miss. He seems to accept it a lot better from DW than me. He's the cutest little thing though so it's not too bad. I just wish I had a way to nurse him in a carrier sometimes so I could do other things every now and then, like eat. The other day I didn't eat a real meal until 6 pm. The good news is that all this feeding probably means he's back up to his birth weight now

Isa, our little guy found his thumb for the first time yesterday, it was adorable. It only lasted about 5 seconds and he hasn't found it since. On a funny note, DW felt really bad for me the other day and let him use her as a pacifer. It was hilarious.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#7 of 10 Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You are def. not alone. I believe they fall into feeding frenzy mode every 5 days or so. Nursing non-stop it seems. Hard to believe you have two of them. Eating, eating, eating. I have been bfing this little guy here all day. But at least he sleeps mostly through at night and only comes for his 2 feedings which I can do without getting up and he goes right back to sleep. He has already gained 1 lb on his birth weight despite being jaundiced.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#8 of 10 Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

What is really killing us is getting them back to sleep after nursing. I have tandem pretty down, but then burping is hard, and they take turns not settling, and if they yell it wakes up DD, so then we have a party. Any advice other than cosleeping would be very welcome! I can't fall asleep with littles in my bed. .

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post
What is really killing us is getting them back to sleep after nursing. I have tandem pretty down, but then burping is hard, and they take turns not settling, and if they yell it wakes up DD, so then we have a party. Any advice other than cosleeping would be very welcome! I can't fall asleep with littles in my bed. .
Oh, wow. I wish I had advice for you, but all I can say is that I don't think I could do it. Mine is enough of a handful. (That being said, I'm trying to be particularly careful about ensuring that my husband gets plenty of sleep at night, because I can just sleep during the day if need be, but he's at work.)

We've mostly ditched the pacifier. My milk's in and his latch is getting better and better, and I'm getting used to having a newborn again, so I think the confidence is helping. I can't wait until he's sleepier at nights and awake more during the day than vice versa - this flipped schedule (normal, I know, for the first week-ish) is wreaking havoc on my body.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#10 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
dd was a round the clock nurser, screamer, never slept more than 45 min, so i know the meaning of the words tired and frustrated!!! I can luckily say that this one is her polar opposite, so I cannot commiserate this time around, but I want you to know that I thought I would go insane with my last one and i only had one...you are my super hero with two..and you all will get past this tough time and get a better sleep and nursing schedule. I am thinking positive thoughts for you. Hang in there!!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page