Anyone else still having name angst? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else still having name angst?

We didn't settle on ds1's name until about 32 weeks, so I wasn't too concerned when we were having trouble in the beginning.... Then baby didn't cooperate at the 20wk ultrasound, so we had to come up with both. We pretty quickly narrowed down to Lily or June for a girl, eventually settling on Lily. We had a list of 5 or so boy names we didn't hate, finally deciding on Erik, but I was convinced it was a girl.... Then we had another ultrasound at 35 weeks, nope it's a boy. We're both like "uhhh let's think about that name thing again" do some thinking, dh eventually suggests Calvin, which I'm a little worried about, but definitely grew on me. Now I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow, and I get an email from dh (he and ds1 are at the beach until tomorrow) that he wants to talk names some more. ARG!

If you're going to make suggestions, my main criteria is that whatever we name them needs to be what we intend to call them (not a nickname) and dh would deny it, but he appears to dislike unisex names. We tend to like nature names, but most of the boy ones seem a touch too hippy-ish for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Baby is two days old. Still no name.

You could do "August" for a boy. Especially if you deliver in, you know, August. I don't know, it's the first thing that occurred to me that was nature-y and not unisex and not easily shortened.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
yeah... we suck at naming babies here! both boys were named at 2 days old. I consider even having a short list of possibilities at time of birth to be an accomplishment. With ds1 we had a list ready, with ds2 we were still floundering. This time we have a list and there's a few on there that I can tolerate, but we're still not close to deciding. I feel sorta guilty because with every baby (except dd, dh named her his first choice in names) I hate every single one of his suggestions and it always ends up "which of MY picks are we going to go with" and he always has way more suggestions than me! I don't want to be a name dictator, I want us to choose together. dd and ds1 are each pushing for a different one of my top choices, lol. So maybe it'll end up being one of those 2. Its kinda fun having older kids who like participating in name picks. I figure we'll name the lo once we see him. I remember in the first moments of seeing ds1, I immediately narrowed the name list to 2. There was no way he could have been the other names on the list. My ds1 has a nature name: River Its fun. Gets lots of compliments. And its gained a bit in popularity and isn't *too* obscure/hippy. Actually, I only think I'd cross a line into being "too hippy" with name choices if I named another baby something that was too matchy, like Brooke(lyn), Skylar, Meadow, Forest, etc. So as lovely as those names are, I won't use them.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I like Orion for a definite boy nature name that isn't too likely to be shortened. Good luck deciding! We can't have another boy, because we just used the only boy names in the universe that we could agree on.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yes, us! Oh my gosh. We have a boy name picked, but not a girl name. We had a good sized list, but none of them feel right. And it doesn't help they were ALL on the top searched names that Nameberry just put out. Ugh. I keep thinking the baby must be a boy, even though I thought it was a girl for most of the pregnancy.

I love the name River, but that would be our third family member with a name from the TV show Firefly, so no go for us. I'm hoping when the baby gets here something will just feel right.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
Yes, us! Oh my gosh. We have a boy name picked, but not a girl name. We had a good sized list, but none of them feel right. And it doesn't help they were ALL on the top searched names that Nameberry just put out. Ugh. I keep thinking the baby must be a boy, even though I thought it was a girl for most of the pregnancy.

I love the name River, but that would be our third family member with a name from the TV show Firefly, so no go for us. I'm hoping when the baby gets here something will just feel right.
Mares, you guys had so many cute girl names picked out-what happened? I've never even heard of the TV show Firefly...
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Lol, I have no idea what firefly is (heard the name but know nothing about it) but river is also a name of a character on doctor who! He was named before started watching, so not only purpose at all. It does make me sort of smugly happy to have a child share a name with one of my favorite characters! On the show, river is a woman.
#8 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
River is a girl on Firefly as well, although I like the name for either gender. We got the name Malcolm from Firefly, and my cat is named after a character as well (the cat came first!).

Farmes, we still have that list! I just feel "eh" about all of them. And they were all on the list of top searched names! Penelope, Evangeline, Adelaide, Elodie, Daisy... Rosemary may not have been, I don't remember. I don't know, if the baby IS a girl maybe one of those will just suit her. Hopefully!

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#9 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was so annoyed when Downton Abbey came out and brought Edith back to the popular imagination, especially since it did it on the least-well-treated character. But DD was already named, so there wasn't much to be done.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyisa View Post
I was so annoyed when Downton Abbey came out and brought Edith back to the popular imagination, especially since it did it on the least-well-treated character. But DD was already named, so there wasn't much to be done.
we are planning to name ours cora, after my grandmother, but that's another downton abbey name!
#11 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
River is a girl on Firefly as well, although I like the name for either gender. We got the name Malcolm from Firefly, and my cat is named after a character as well (the cat came first!).

Farmes, we still have that list! I just feel "eh" about all of them. And they were all on the list of top searched names! Penelope, Evangeline, Adelaide, Elodie, Daisy... Rosemary may not have been, I don't remember. I don't know, if the baby IS a girl maybe one of those will just suit her. Hopefully!
Those are all such great names. I really like Adelaide and Daisy. Can't wait to hear the secret name that you came up with!
#12 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We got our name settled somewhat the day before the birth. This time I had to see the baby though to be sure about the name. Just be patient it will come to you and dh

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#13 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Add us to the list too. We don't have a girl name at all! We kind of have a list, but the last 2 babies have not been named until they are a day or two old, and the last one ended up with a name that was never on our list at all! We have a boy first name, but not a middle Although last night DH said maybe he wanted a different one. AHHHHHH

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page