Well, I PLANNED a Home Birth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Well, I PLANNED a Home Birth...

...and ended up with an unexpected UC in my bathtub, with my "I don't want to be there for the birth! No gooey stuff!" husband catching our gender-surprise (boy!). My first labor was extremely quick and we joked about doing the "baby juggle" for this one as well, to the point that I printed out "Emergency Childbirth" and kept it in my birth binder (binder mostly as a resource in case of transfer). Contractions that I assumed would subside didn't, water popped, and I went from giving quick instructions between contractions to "fill the bathtub NOW" and incoherency. I never had any vaginal checks. Water broke sometime around 9:40 a.m. and baby was born sometime before 11 a.m. Doula and midwife wouldn't have made it in time even if there were no obstacles - doula couldn't leave until sitter arrived, and midwife's car broke down en route.

38w2d, 8lb3oz, 22" of currently-unnamed awesome with a 14" head. My husband and I can't stop looking at each other and laughing, because this is NOT how we expected this to go! (I didn't even have time to find and wear my birth necklace from our group swap.)

I hope that you all have wonderful labors and the births that you dream of having.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats!!! What a special story!
#3 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds amazing, and so glad your dh stepped up. Congrats!
#4 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Holy heck! That's awesome! Glad you and your little guy are both healthy and doing well, and that your husband didn't faint or freak out!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#5 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM

Great story! It sounds similar to mine. enjoy your baby days!
#6 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Congratulations on your exciting birth and sweet baby boy!
#7 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Oh that is so absolutely amazing!! And now you've got your little one! And it's a boy!!! I'm so excited for you! How is your older one doing?

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#8 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What a beatiful birth!!! Congratulations!!!
#9 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Oh my goodness!! What a great story. Congratulations! This little boy will be full of surprises it sounds like! Hope you are feeling good.
#10 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh my goodness! What an exciting birth story! How long before your water broke were you contracting? It sounds like a very precipitous birth which is what I am expecting this time too but who knows!

Congrats to you! I can't wait to hear more details and pics if you share enjoy this special time mama...
#11 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Oh wow!! Congrats and great job to you and your husband

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#12 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a way to enter the world! Congrats, and well done to both you and your husband.

Reader reading.gif married to gardener treehugger.gif expecting our first seed to sprout flower.gifJuly 2014!
#13 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Congrats to your baby boy! Wow, such an amazing birth story. Sounds like your dh was alright with it afterwards!

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#14 of 21 Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
Oh that is so absolutely amazing!! And now you've got your little one! And it's a boy!!! I'm so excited for you! How is your older one doing?
He is! He's absolutely beautiful and looks so much like my older one at birth, size difference aside. I'm still a bit sad that I didn't have a girl (mostly because all of my "girl stuff" went back into storage bags...) but I'm absolutely in love with him. He's so calm and good-natured.

My older one is thrilled to be a big brother. He doesn't quite "get" that baby doesn't function much for the first while, so there's a lot of "don't get in the baby's face" that is said. We'll get there.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#15 of 21 Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed#7 View Post
Oh my goodness! What an exciting birth story! How long before your water broke were you contracting? It sounds like a very precipitous birth which is what I am expecting this time too but who knows!

Congrats to you! I can't wait to hear more details and pics if you share enjoy this special time mama...
I'd been waking up for the past couple of weeks, every night, with contractions. I'd get up, have a snack, bounce on the birth/exercise ball, sit in the bathtub if I was feeling particularly uncomfortable. Contractions would always subside after a while.

That time, I woke up at maybe 4 or 5? I don't know if contractions were regular or not, they were mostly pressure/tightening accompanied by a backache that had been present for a few days at that point. I didn't really think about it, just assumed that they'd go away as they had previous times. So, contracting for 4-5 hours before my water broke, and then I could really feel the difference in contractions and knew that that was it.

FWIW I didn't notice any mucus plug or show. I kept waiting for it, and getting frustrated that I would never see any despite the contractions and backache. My first labor was under half an hour (did I say that already?) so we didn't know if this time would be quick or much longer.

Thank you!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#16 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledvwlch View Post
That time, I woke up at maybe 4 or 5? I don't know if contractions were regular or not, they were mostly pressure/tightening accompanied by a backache that had been present for a few days at that point. I didn't really think about it, just assumed that they'd go away as they had previous times. So, contracting for 4-5 hours before my water broke, and then I could really feel the difference in contractions and knew that that was it.
That sounds so much like my birth with Malcolm! Except, of course, we made it to the birth center

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#17 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations! Exciting birth story.

A 9/01, B 3/04, N 2/07
#18 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

(So, I wrote this reply a day or two ago, and never finished it or hit send. Oops!)

Thank you all so much! My husband is definitely enjoying being "the guy who delivered his own baby" and the awe that comes along with that. His coworkers are definitely impressed. This baby (still unnamed!) absolutely adores Daddy - all my husband has to do is hold him, and he quiets.

I have a deep tub with jets, and that's where baby was born - my midwife didn't arrive for a few hours, so I ended up spending the entire time in the tub. Despite a fairly decent tear (that I realized existed around 3-4 days postpartum - I was feeling so good that I shrugged off my midwife's offer to examine me for tearing), I feel amazing and this "recovery" has been so much easier than my first. I'm actually moving around way way more than I should be, which is... not ideal, but I've never been a person to sit down and rest when there are things to do. I definitely think that hanging out in the tub for quite some time helped things and would probably do it in the future if I have another baby.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#19 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Congrats Mama!!! What an amazing story...and your hubby ended up being there and caught the baby, what a crazy turn of events after all. I am so happy for you and hope you are enjoying this precious time with you little one. Post us with the name when you decide. Lots of love to you!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#20 of 21 Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Ha, I had to put all my girly clothes away in the attic for the sixth time.
So, it took us four days to decide on a name. How long did you take?
And I was feeling so good after birth, I sent my MIL home after two days. I've been back to normal life now, and doing great. I'm so glad because with three little boys two and under, plus the older three (five-nine) I really can't afford to stay in bed. My husband goes straight back to work after catching his babies. I'm glad this one was born on the weekend.
#21 of 21 Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post
Ha, I had to put all my girly clothes away in the attic for the sixth time.
So, it took us four days to decide on a name. How long did you take?
And I was feeling so good after birth, I sent my MIL home after two days. I've been back to normal life now, and doing great. I'm so glad because with three little boys two and under, plus the older three (five-nine) I really can't afford to stay in bed. My husband goes straight back to work after catching his babies. I'm glad this one was born on the weekend.
It took us 7-8 days after the birth to decide on a name (which wasn't suggested until the very last minute!). I don't want to post it here because this site is publicly accessible and I like to have some degree of anonymity when it comes to the wider interwebs.

I can't imagine having so many little ones! I just have my two, and my older one is a wonderful help (although not so much with the baby - even the mildest of diapers is "gross!"). I'd hoped to have them closer together in age, but am realizing all of the perks of their separation (I can stay in bed nursing Mr. Nocturnal while my first pours himself a bowl of cereal for breakfast, for example). My husband was actually called to do a work thing (he's on call 24/7 in his field unless he's officially "on vacation") right after he caught our son, and he said, "Well, my wife just had the baby, and I don't want to leave her alone until the midwife comes" - but once our midwife arrived, he headed out, and returned to work the next day. It's the worst when he's on a business trip. Not only do I normally hate it when he's gone, but now it's myself and two children, including a very tiny one! My ILs don't "do" babies but my mother is coming in a few weeks to visit, which makes me happy.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page