Mavis's birth story, finally... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Mavis's birth story, finally...

Life has been so busy, so forgive me for not being more active since the birth. I have been thinking about all you ladies so much. I am so glad I have a few minutes to check in this evening and hear of the newbies since I posted last.

I wanted to post Mavis's birth story while it is still fresh in my head. It was quite a wonderful evening and wanted to share it with you all.

It was about 8:30 in the evening before my due date, when I was washing eggs to sell to the neighbor's bakery and was having some strong warm up ctx like I had been for a few prior evenings. I was thinking of all the things I could do to try to get labor going. I decided to go for a long walk throughout the farm, but it didn't really stir anything up. When i got back, I got hubby into bed for some nookie and then went outside and sat naked on the front steps to watch the fire flies. They were just dazzling. It was about 10:30 by this point and I decided to have a glass of wine to get settled for bed, figuring that it would settle down my "irritable" uterus and I could get some sleep, but as i sipped the wine, my ctx got stronger and stronger and seemed to become more wrapped around my body. I went to the bathrooom and realized that I was having bloody show and thought maybe it was "go time" after all.

I decided to call the mw to give her a heads up that things might be starting...and called my mom too. She wanted to catch the birth, but was faced with a 7 hour drive from NJ to VT, so I figured she should get on the road.

At this point I woke DH and DD and sent them outside to see the fire fly show (they had been planning this in advance for this evening)...and when they came in, I told them both that they should get some rest because I was pretty sure I was in labor. I also tried to get some rest and slept. I was able to sleep in between ctx for about an hour, but then they were about 5 minutes apart and too close to get any sleep in between, so i got up and made a labor energy drink and set up the video camera. At this point, things were getting stronger, so I woke Dave to help me set up and fill the tub and then sent him back to bed.

I lit a ton of candles, put on my favorite Gillian Welch album and belly danced around my living room until about 3:30 and ctx were getting pretty strong and now just 2 minutes apart, so I called the mw and had her head over.

I woke Dave again around 4am to join me in my labor, as it was getting pretty intense. I needed him to put put pressure on my back to counter the pain. DD awoke around 4:30 and joined us and my mw showed up at 5:00.

She got settled in and checked me at about 5:15 and told me I was 5 cm. This felt like a nightmare because labor felt so intense, I was sure I was further along. She told me to get into the tub and it would help me to relax a bit.

Well...within 2 ctx, I went from 5 to 10 cm and was involuntarily pushing. We called the other family on the farm so that Judy could come up to be with Piper and called my friend who was supposed to be in charge of pictures and video.

Judy walked up around 5:30 and hung with Piper and did some labor support for me, while my mw buzzed around like a busy bee, preparing for the birth...

Piper was amazing. She was naked with me and we were both wearing our birth necklaces. She was cooling me off with a wet cloth and giving me sips of water. She kept telling me what a good job I was doing. She did get a tad bit scared at the end to see me push so hard, but I assured her that I was okay and that pushing the baby out was the hardest part and that I was almost done. She perked right up and enjoyed the rest of the birth really confidently. I was so proud of her!!:hear tbeat

As Mavis was crowning, both my Mom and my friend who was supposed to film the birth arrived (Dave turned on the video camera, so we at least got some labor video footage even though there are no pictures). 7 minutes after Mom arrived from NJ, Mavis was born. I was elated that everyone made it, and just in the nick of time.

It was so amazing to labor on my own most of the night. It was actually romantic, with the candles and dancing...then my family and community joined me little by little as the sun rose and turned into a beautiful blue bird morning.

And even more amazing to me was the fact that I went from 5 cm to baby-out in an hour.

It was so lovely. I am glad I finally had the time to share it with you all. And I highly encourage belly dancing during labor. It was so wonderful!

I also want to thank especially the core group of us ladies who traveled this pregnancy together. I will always remember you all as an intregal part of my journey. And I am so glad to have this necklace to keep you all (well, many of you) with me as we move forward into the next chapter.

PS. sorry about the pictures...I cannot figure out how to get them sized right so they stay oriented correctly. Hope you get the gist of how beautiful and precious Piper is with Mavis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0413.jpg (169.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (198.0 KB, 36 views)

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

Last edited by turtlemamameg; 07-20-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: disclaimer about pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Aw, Turtle, what a lovely story. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it! It reminds me of one of the births in Ina May's books! Not one in particular, but it has that same joyful, peaceful, powerful, loving tone. I am so, so, happy for you. I wish we didn't live across the country from each other! I would love to sit on your porch and visit. So good to hear from you

Mavis is gorgeous and the picture of her and Piper is so sweet! One to frame for sure.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#3 of 9 Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Such a great birth story. Fireflies, candles, some good wine, a daughter and husband that took great care of you (your daughter sounds so mature!).

Mavis is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to tell us about her entry into the world.
#4 of 9 Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post
I wish we didn't live across the country from each other! I would love to sit on your porch and visit. So good to hear from you
Ditto! I am so looking forward to hearing your story too. Remind me what your due date is, the 27th?

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#5 of 9 Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Saturday! The 26th. The other two were born three days before their due dates, which I was hoping this one might consider to be a good idea. No such luck.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#6 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Such a beautiful story/experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your daughters are adorable

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and our sweet little love born 6/19/14
#7 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
What a wonderful birth story! So happy for you that everything worked out fine esp. the timely arrivals. The fire fly show sounds lovely.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#8 of 9 Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What a wonderful birth, and beautiful daughters! Congratulations!
#9 of 9 Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! lovely story

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page