Postpartum Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#31 of 53 Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
It is! I'm so happy. He's figuring out what to do, which has already improved everything. More wet/messy diapers, less soreness for me, and his sleep last night was much improved. Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaBlue View Post
It is! I'm so happy. He's figuring out what to do, which has already improved everything. More wet/messy diapers, less soreness for me, and his sleep last night was much improved. Yay!
So good to hear and quite relieving for you, I'm sure! Much less worry when baby is eating well and when nips aren't being destroyed.
#33 of 53 Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yes, I'm quite relieved. How is nursing going for you? Better every day, I hope.
#34 of 53 Old 08-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Been going well! He prefers one side over the other, leaving lefty lonely, but I've been pumping and freezing from that side.
#35 of 53 Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ugh. My body decided to tell me this morning, via mastitis, that I just had a baby and so I need to quit doing so much and go to bed. I don't mind going to bed but I could do without the sore boob, body aches, and fever! I don't want stupid abx hope I can kick it without. But coming on so acutely is ominous. I've had it once before and I went from heading to a play date with a slight sore boob to crawling into urgent care feeling like death within a couple hours

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#36 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Take care of yourself! Easier said than done, I'm sure, especially with all your other little ones.

I've had the in laws in town all week, and I've been trying to do fun things with them even though they said we don't have to entertain them. Yesterday I got exhausted, so today is a rest day and plans have been pushed back.
#37 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Ugh. My body decided to tell me this morning, via mastitis, that I just had a baby and so I need to quit doing so much and go to bed. I don't mind going to bed but I could do without the sore boob, body aches, and fever! I don't want stupid abx hope I can kick it without. But coming on so acutely is ominous. I've had it once before and I went from heading to a play date with a slight sore boob to crawling into urgent care feeling like death within a couple hours
That's no good lilstar! I hope you recover quickly! Def rest up even though it's hard. I always get mastitis when I've overdone myself.
#38 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yuck, LiLStar! Feel better. I think someone else in this group (blessed?) had posted about soy lecithin helping to prevent mastitis and plugged ducts. I promptly had my husband order some for me.

Something that this group might find interesting while our little ones are still so little - http://www.hazelfly.com/babys-own-footprint-necklace/

I found that via Pinterest and printed baby's feet this morning. I haven't yet baked them but I'm definitely excited to do so. I made several prints and will attach one to my birth necklace with a jump ring.

We're doing well here. We've gotten the hang of nursing (I went through three different sizes of nipple shields before ditching them altogether - I couldn't remember which size I used for my older child!) and co-sleeping is really saving my sanity (again). It's been incredibly hot here so we're hunkering down indoors and watching movies in our pajamas.

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

tiny.human v2.0 summer 2014

#39 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Farmes, I am glad to hear that you are working through the tough start to nursing. I hope you can see it through to the other side. I know it may seem like an eternity, but try to see it through to 6 weeks before you make a final decision on your course. It has been a magic number for a couple of friends who had some initial trouble with latch, etc. Whatever route you choose, be gentle on yourself.

Lilstar, uuuugh! Mastitis is the worst. I had it with my daughter....struggled with plugged ducts a bunch, but when I finally got mastitis it was like getting socked with a ton of bricks. I kicked it w/o abx, but it took a bit longer to feel better. I hope you recover soon. Steamed cabbage leaves can provide some relief. There are homeopathic remedies that I took that really helped, but I cannot remember which ones...wish I could see through my clogged baby brain.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#40 of 53 Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 PM

I'm doing vit c, echinacea, raw garlic, and a ton of laying in bed. And nursing so much I think Connor is getting over fed, because he's spitting up a ton! The soreness is actually quite mild. Wonder if that means I'm kicking it? Fever is lowering but still hanging in there. Really hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling awesome because there's a community event in my neighborhood I was looking forward to taking the kids to.
#41 of 53 Old 08-09-2014, 03:02 PM

I survived. Feel normal today. Took kids to the event at the park. Bright red bleeding returned though. I do prefer that sign of "doing too much" I'll lay low the rest of the day
#42 of 53 Old 08-09-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you got to enjoy some time out lilstar! And that you are feeling normal again
#43 of 53 Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM

So glad you are feeling better...take it easy though.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#44 of 53 Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Question - did anyone opt out of the newborn screening?

There's an opt-out form that we apparently have to sign and submit, and I'm just hesitant to just sign it - as I know that there are instances of vaccine opt-out forms that basically have the parents admitting that they're negligent by opting out. I asked in the Vaccination forum and have gotten exactly one reply, which was basically "Can't help but good luck." Feel free to PM if desired.

(I shouldn't have to say this, but please don't comment re: this unless your words are helpful with regard to my specific question. Our decision is not up for discussion.)

Thank you!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

#45 of 53 Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 PM

Can you ask your midwife if she knows anything about it? What happens if you simply don't sign the form, and don't do the test? Have you seen the wording of the form? You could always cross out/edit anything you object to. I've seen people do that to the vaccine forms.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#46 of 53 Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 AM

So I know many of you are proponents of co sleeping. My husband and I were not planning to co sleep. We have a cradle next to our bed that Henry had been sleeping in just fine until 4 or so days ago. Now he'll only sleep on us! We thought we'd let him cry it out in the cradle but I read he is too young for that. I obviously love the cuddle time but would like to sleep a little deeper. Anyone have any tips?
#47 of 53 Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hi everyone! Greetings from the land of constant nursing!

I'm sorry to hear about the mastitis, lilstar. It has actually helped me to read about it, though, because last night I started getting some oversupply/pain/clogged feelings on one side, and since I've been thinking about you I worked really hard to coordinate the boys to work through it and I think we got it fixed before it had a chance to turn into anything serious. I've been lucky not to have mastitis but I've had clogged ducts that definitely had me in tears.

Caled--no idea. I think you can turn down almost anything, though. What is included in the newborn screen? In any case, I wish you lots of luck in advocating for your family!

Farmes--have you tried getting him almost to sleep and then putting him in the cradle? I can NOT co-sleep. My babies have all started off exactly with your setup and then moved to their own rooms/spaces once they outgrow it, but they all prefer napping on us, when allowed. We let them when we can during the day, but at night I'm too worried about them falling off the bed/suffocating/being removed from my loving arms by giant monster aliens of doom to fall asleep, so it's back to the crib with them. Also, does he have any reflux symptoms? Sometimes if they are uncomfortable being flat on their backs they don't settle well--if that's the case you can try propping up the mattress with a folded towel to give him a better angle. Good luck!

We seem to be hitting some sort of six-week stride, which I appreciate. There is still a long (2-hour) stretch of wakefulness in the middle of the night for DS1, which sucks, but they seem to have gotten onto a regular night feeding schedule, so at least we can predict what's coming. I just keep having trouble with my expectations. I wake up every day with a list of things I'd like to do or accomplish, and then get really down when I get to the end of the day and we've only just gotten to one or two things on the list. And then I get mad at myself for not just appreciating these sweet early days and staring at the babies more.

She's here!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And so are the boys!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#48 of 53 Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Can you ask your midwife if she knows anything about it? What happens if you simply don't sign the form, and don't do the test? Have you seen the wording of the form? You could always cross out/edit anything you object to. I've seen people do that to the vaccine forms.
I'm not sure that midwife even realized that it was required by law. We weren't going to have any intrusive testing done anyway, so I guess it works out. She said that she'll go over the paperwork with me the next time that we meet.
@LiLStar that's exactly what I plan on doing if necessary. My post about it is here (figured that was the most pertinent forum for it) and I quoted the statements that I'd be agreeing to if I signed the opt-out form as-is, without any edits on my part. I will absolutely edit if necessary, but I'm not sure if any part of the form is questionable. I've heard horror stories of parents signing opt-out forms with regard to vaccination (NOT a legal exemption, just something they're asked to sign by their health care provider) and the form basically says that they're making a negligent decision against medical advice and not acting in the best interest of the child. I really don't want anything I sign being used as leverage against me. Hence, my dilemma.

As far as co-sleeping or advice for farmes and prettyisa, I'm no use. I co-slept with both boys from birth (used a co-sleeper until my first was three months old, then brought him in bed with me because I was barely sleeping even with the co-sleeper - this baby has been in my bed from birth, and I'm actually sleeping!). My husband started out quite opposed, but a few sleepless nights changed his mind. I'm a bit jealous when it comes to parents with "magic babies" who sleep in their sleeping-places without fuss. The one down-side I've found so far is that I miss snuggling my husband, because I'm in the middle, and I'm always facing/nursing baby.

ETA: I'm going to just submit a handwritten statement that satisfies the requirements of the law. Pretty sure it's not in the law that I have to use THEIR form. Thank you!

e

wife of my sun and stars

momma to tiny.human v1.0

Last edited by Caledvwlch; 08-12-2014 at 08:59 AM.
#49 of 53 Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Prettyisa- wow! I can't believe your babies are 6 weeks! How the time flies. It must be a challenge to get your list completed each day, don't be so hard on yourself.

I got baby to sleep part of the night back in the cradle. I think we had some eating issues that we've just worked out making him much more content in general. He now latches successfully on to both sides instead of just the right side. I've learned that just because he pulls off doesn't mean he is finished. He still hasn't gained his birth weight back but I'm hoping these new developments will have him eating more hind milk and gaining, gaining. I have another weigh in on Thursday. Been feeding every hour and a half! He was 6 14 yesterday and his birth weight was 7 3. I'm thinking with all this eating he'll be back in his cradle all night. I think he just needed something that I wasn't properly providing making him so fussy.

Caled- wish I could be of more help! It sounds like a good idea to have your own paper prepared. It's absolutely ridiculous that they try to force you into the screening. Do let us know how it goes.
#50 of 53 Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all!

Wish I was checking in to just say hi but I'm wondering if a typical UTI symptom is crampy feeling very low on the either side. I can feel it into my back too. Not constant. It's my right low side and back. Mostly after I empty my bladder. Weird. I know I am prone to them postpartum. I don't get up often from nursing and sometimes when I finally go pee it stings a little after. I am doing the Dmannose powder with Cranactin already so not concerned abt getting abx just wondering if this crampiness sounds like UTI.

How is everyone else recovering? Back to normal? Still feel like your not back to "normal"? I know we are all at diff places. My babe was 1month yesterday. Crazy! Kinda bittersweet. I must say I fully welcome the little smiles she is sharing with me now as a reward for hours of endless feeding and sleeping in the most awkward uncomfortable ways to keep her happy and fed all night lol

Hope everyone is well!
#51 of 53 Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 PM

the only time i ever had back pain associated with a uti ws when it turned into a kidney infection. how r u feeling?

#52 of 53 Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I still feel abt the same. The crampy feeling in the bladder and back comes and goes. Typically after I pee. Weird thing is I just had a urinalysis done and it was negative for bacteria. There were trace amounts of blood but we aren't sure why. No kidney stone symptoms. I'm keeping on the Dmannose and Cranactin and probiotics. Hopefully it just passes soon.
#53 of 53 Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM

hope you feel better soon

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page